{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Initial Thoughts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Initial Thoughts

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 pm

I thought we were lucky to get a draw.

Logan is useless. He’s needing dropping.

Great to see us play but I was pretty disappointed.

PS that’s the first time I have seen Grant and Flitcroft was right to take him off.

He neshed out of every tackle.

Onwards and upwards.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Initial Thoughts

Postby yaxhamstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 pm

It’s ok to blame Logan but Benning should have just booted it into the stand.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 pm

I thought Lincoln came back into it well 2nd half and showed why they’re the best side down here, we’d have won 1-0 as we do so many times at home until that dinosaur cost us, once more. He wasn’t helped by it not being cleared but to do that :roll:

Thought the defence looked good, bish was great as per
Last edited by adamstag on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 pm

A draw was fair enough I think, problem for us was all our best players were defenders, Hamilton , Walker and Grant were largely anonymous. Bad error from Logan who otherwise was OK.
Best creative player on show was Rowe.
A shout out for Bishop too who was immaculate
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

We need a team of Bishops and Pearces.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Can't argue with a draw.

Title race is probably over for us now, but that performance against top of the league will hopefully restore some belief that we do indeed belong in the top 3. MK have lost 10 games. We are better than them and we will do this.

COYS!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Fair result

Grant doesn't deserve a start on Saturday, get was awful.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Draw was fair result.... But that second half display looked like a team who'd ran out of ideas with us only having walker up top and cj doing his best impersonation of a statue second half.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Draw was fair result.... But that second half display looked like a team who'd ran out of ideas with us only having walker up top and cj doing his best impersonation of a statue second half.

That’s because Grant creates things, when we took him off we created nothing. Mellis should have been sacarficed for a more defensive minded player IMO.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Draw was fair result.... But that second half display looked like a team who'd ran out of ideas with us only having walker up top and cj doing his best impersonation of a statue second half.

That’s because Grant creates things, when we took him off we created nothing. Mellis should have been sacarficed for a more defensive minded player IMO.

It didn't suit the strategy at the time though. Our defence had handled everything comfortably all game so Flicker was justified in trying to hold out for the win. We needed midfielders who could defend higher up the pitch and be disciplined in keeping shape, so Macca came on for Grant. I won't blame the manager for that.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 pm

CJ pushed off the ball doesn't like to tackle n scared to be tackled waste of a shirt once again in front of a big crowd.

Dont keepers do their homework on penalty takers everytime he strolls up n taps it down the middle.....

Thrown away 2 points because of Logan being lazy
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 pm

SINA STAG wrote:CJ pushed off the ball doesn't like to tackle n scared to be tackled waste of a shirt once again in front of a big crowd.

Dont keepers do their homework on penalty takers everytime he strolls up n taps it down the middle.....

Was Benning's fault. He could have either put it behind for a corner, hooked it for a throw or seen it out for a goal kick, but he just stood there gesturing to Logsn to come get it when it wasn't his to get. Logan had no choice but to come when he saw the Lincoln player nipping in. Benning stitched him up.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 pm

ParisStag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

It didn't suit the strategy at the time though. Our defence had handled everything comfortably all game so Flicker was justified in trying to hold out for the win. We needed midfielders who could defend higher up the pitch and be disciplined in keeping shape, so Macca came on for Grant. I won't blame the manager for that.

I’m not blaming the manager, I completely understand why he did it.

Someone said we ran out of ideas second half, which we did as we lost our creative attacking mid.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

I’m not blaming the manager, I completely understand why he did it.

Someone said we ran out of ideas second half, which we did as we lost our creative attacking mid.

Sure, we definitely ran out of ideas, but that was a strategic sacrifice and one that nearly paid off, but for a penalty.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:20 pm

I thought a draw was a fair result. I thought we were the better team first half and Lincoln the second. Impressed with Rowe but otherwise we kept their forward line quiet. Both defences did their jobs.
Thought Grant started off well but I think he should be dropped. I'd play Ajose and Walker up front. We don't seem to be the same side as a few months back. God knows what Smith has been dropped. Although the ball should of been cleared before their penalty , logan made a right mess of it.
Crewe is a massive game now. Three points is a must. Our away form isn't great at the moment so we need to win every home game. A couple of months back I thought tonight's game would be top of the table clash.
I'm kerping the faith but only just.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Logan will keep costing us as I’ve said countless times, same as the reverse fixture last year. Flitcroft is to blame as well for dropping Smith who has barely put a foot wrong. Don’t forget the fumble in the six yard box under zero pressure which could easily have cost us prior to the penalty.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Logan will keep costing us as I’ve said countless times, same as the reverse fixture last year. Flitcroft is to blame as well for dropping Smith who has barely put a foot wrong. Don’t forget the fumble in the six yard box under zero pressure which could easily have cost us prior to the penalty.

:good_post:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm

ParisStag wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:CJ pushed off the ball doesn't like to tackle n scared to be tackled waste of a shirt once again in front of a big crowd.

Was Benning's fault. He could have either put it behind for a corner, hooked it for a throw or seen it out for a goal kick, but he just stood there gesturing to Logsn to come get it when it wasn't his to get. Logan had no choice but to come when he saw the Lincoln player nipping in. Benning stitched him up.

That was 100% Logan's fault, Bobby or Smith would have been out a hell of a lot quicker and made a routine interception. Benning shouldn't have had any kind of decision to make. If we keep Logan in nets you can forget a top 3 finish. He gifted them a goal and nearly gave them two.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Logan is pathetic at times. Lincoln deserved the draw.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 pm

Typical Stagsnet always got to blame someone for a disappointing result. Yes it was a bad error, but he did some good things too. Also the ball should have been cleared before it got to Logan.

What about our toothless attack. How many shots did we have on target?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Typical Stagsnet always got to blame someone for a disappointing result. Yes it was a bad error, but he did some good things too. Also the ball should have been cleared before it got to Logan.

4, the same as them. He’s being blamed because he was to blame.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Draw was a fair result I guess. Logan was slow out but Mal should of cleared it.

Good to get back up to 3rd but I'm not all that confident that we'll make it now. Our form is poor and we keep doing the same things and expecting differnet outcomes. First half Lincoln were there for the taking. We didnt capitalise and ran out of steam second half.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Sneag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

That was 100% Logan's fault, Bobby or Smith would have been out a hell of a lot quicker and made a routine interception. Benning shouldn't have had any kind of decision to make. If we keep Logan in nets you can forget a top 3 finish. He gifted them a goal and nearly gave them two.

Completely disagree. The first responsibility is with Benning. Logan could have been quicker, but any keeper would have been expecting it to be dealt with. He shouldn't have had to come for it.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Typical Stagsnet always got to blame someone for a disappointing result. Yes it was a bad error, but he did some good things too. Also the ball should have been cleared before it got to Logan.

I'm not disappointed I'd have taken a draw before kick off. However the way it panned out our magnificent back three deserved a win as against Colchester, then step forward that clown, I bet Chiefs fuming with him again
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 pm

We were crap up front for most of the night, but we were ahead, so the error is massively costly, and he got away with a worse one before the pen that went unpunished.

I don't know what Smith did at Port Vale that warranted him being dropped. Okay his kicking (in a gale) wasn't great, but at least he looks for an outlet. Hoofing ball onto Lincoln's giant centre back was hardly any more constructive than Smith shanking a couple into touch.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum