{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grant

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grant

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 pm

He still contributed towards pretty much every good moment we had going forward :

-won the corner which led to the goal
-played in CJ to set up Walker
-could’ve won a penalty
-won a free kick from a dangerous position
-ball through for Hamilton chance in second half
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 pm

His substitution is well overdue, I don't think he is fit enough to play 90 minutes of intense football as we are expecting.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Sneag wrote:The frustrating thing with Grant, is we've all seen what he's capable of.

If it's an attitude problem, then maybe he would do well to reflect on the fact that he's got 8 games to prove to Forest he's as capable as Yates of getting into their first team squad, or 8 games to showcase himself to his next club.

Maybe he has already done this and is trying too hard to be a world beater instead of doing the simple things well.

Most fans will forgive a misplaced hollywood pass, if it's preceded by grafting for the team and (mostly) retaining possession.

Last night he was clearly scared of getting that 2nd booking, hence the weakness in some challenges. But we looked less threatening when he went off.

he was clearly frustrated at being subbed - passion?

Hope so Chander. I do like to see a player pissed off at being subbed, it at least shows they want to be on the pitch.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I thought he was fine last night, and agree that we looked less threatening once he had gone off. not that I disagree with the substitution necessarily though.

He seems to get a lot of stick from our fans recently including last night, though I come in to work this morning and folk who watched on the box for the first time all picked him out as being the one who ‘you can tell he’s a level above when he’s on the ball’. He set off like a house on fire for us and to a degree I think peoples expectations may have risen too high after those initial 4 games, though I know he was signed to be the main man.

He was also our most creative and threatening player at Crawley in my opinion and I think he’ll find his match winning touch again soon.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sheffieldstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:12 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I thought he was fine last night, and agree that we looked less threatening once he had gone off. not that I disagree with the substitution necessarily though.

He seems to get a lot of stick from our fans recently including last night, though I come in to work this morning and folk who watched on the box for the first time all picked him out as being the one who ‘you can tell he’s a level above when he’s on the ball’. He set off like a house on fire for us and to a degree I think peoples expectations may have risen too high after those initial 4 games, though I know he was signed to be the main man.

He was also our most creative and threatening player at Crawley in my opinion and I think he’ll find his match winning touch again soon.

Ditto, I thought most of out best moves came through Grant. I think he worked hard, closed down well and looked up for the game. The yellow was a shame as it was a penalty but he went missing second half hence quite rightly subbed. Mellis should have also been subbed sooner as nothing was coming off for him.

I would hate to see Grant become a boo boy as he is clearly a player with real quality.
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Sheffieldstag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:I thought he was fine last night, and agree that we looked less threatening once he had gone off. not that I disagree with the substitution necessarily though.

Ditto, I thought most of out best moves came through Grant. I think he worked hard, closed down well and looked up for the game. The yellow was a shame as it was a penalty but he went missing second half hence quite rightly subbed. Mellis should have also been subbed sooner as nothing was coming off for him.

I would hate to see Grant become a boo boy as he is clearly a player with real quality.

Too late for that. Take a look at his mentions on twitter. Wouldn't blame him for not caring after some of the abuse he's getting.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 pm

For those who thought Grant was fine, ok or whatever last night good god I'd hate to see him poor. :shock:
And yes I did travel hundreds of miles each way from Scotland to watch as I do home and away on quite a regular basis.
But I DO NOT agree with the abuse of any kind.
:mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Having watched the game back he was involved in pretty much all our good attacking play.

The sub should have been Macca for mellis.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Having watched the game back he was involved in pretty much all our good attacking play.

The sub should have been Macca for mellis.

I agree in that Mellis was also poor last night.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm

scotsstag wrote:For those who thought Grant was fine, ok or whatever last night good god I'd hate to see him poor. :shock:
And yes I did travel hundreds of miles each way from Scotland to watch as I do home and away on quite a regular basis.

He was better than Hamilton, Walker and Bishop yesterday, and we created absolutely nothing once he’d gone off. The stick he is getting is unwarranted.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:For those who thought Grant was fine, ok or whatever last night good god I'd hate to see him poor. :shock:

He was better than Hamilton, Walker and Bishop yesterday, and we created absolutely nothing once he’d gone off. The stick he is getting is unwarranted.

That's your opinion, some of us differ, its an opinion based messageboard.

If you think mom Bishop didn't do his job and Grant did then fair enough (shaking head emoji)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

He was better than Hamilton, Walker and Mellis yesterday, and we created absolutely nothing once he’d gone off. The stick he is getting is unwarranted.

If you think mom Bishop didn't do his job and Grant did then fair enough (shaking head emoji)

Sorry, I meant Mellis (now edited). Bishop had a solid game.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:13 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

He was better than Hamilton, Walker and Mellis yesterday, and we created absolutely nothing once he’d gone off. The stick he is getting is unwarranted.

Already said Mellis had a poor game.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm

scotsstag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Already said Mellis had a poor game.

Ok? :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:23 pm

A few at work that are not Stags fans watched on Sky and both said Grant played well and were surprised he was taken off.

I'd have left grant on and taken Mellis off who really wasn't having a good game and replaced him with Tomlinson - he has good energy and good creativity....and as a midfield pair Bish and mini Bish would have given grant (or Khan later on) freedom to play/create.

Flitters seems to have got scared of making subs earlier on in the game (he was good at this to good effect before Christmas) - it was obvious to my untrained eye last night that Lincoln had got on top by about 60-65 mins and without significant changes to personnel and formation the lads on the pitch wouldn't turn the tide back in our favour and it turned out to be the case. The same happened last Tuesday....why no Khan or Ajose on ~60mins? Khan Did well when he came on v Port Vale and we needed a goal v a poor Crawley side so why not roll the dice? I think he only used Tomlinson from about 85mins....again, too late and probably the wrong player when you need a goal (I get it that Flitters had settled for a draw but why - playoffs isn't the aim?).

After the poor performance v Port Vale, the last 2 games have been much better (Crawley and Lincoln) but cant help but feel but for more 'bravery' in tactics / personnel we could easily have been 4 points better off - especially the Crawley game, they are not a good team as evidenced by them getting hammered at the weekend.

Frustrating
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Hes a young lad that's got some talent, Get a chant about him going and gee him up... He's like Tyler, when he's confident he'll run around all day wanting to play and have the best possible game.... if he's getting abuse or people are doubting him he'll go missing and won't want to look stupid when things don't come off.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:He still contributed towards pretty much every good moment we had going forward :

-could’ve won a penalty

This - we are weaker going forward when he is not on the pitch.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Grant is by far the best player we have on the pitch. Mellis was poor last night imo and DF should have taken him off instead. We wouldn’t be talking about this if Logan hadn’t have made that terrible error, or two!!! He’s not good enough as back up goalkeeper at all.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Do you think he's a victim of his own success? We know how good he can be, which is disappointing us because even though he is OK at the moment, he's nowhere near his best.

I think the yellow card was making him cautious without the ball last night.

Good player.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 pm

There is no doubt that Jorge is a very talented individual. Perhaps not as good a team player?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:09 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He still contributed towards pretty much every good moment we had going forward :

-could’ve won a penalty

This - we are weaker going forward when he is not on the pitch.

We are weak going Forward full stop and the inability to put teams like Crawley , vale away will cost us. Wasn’t it Crewe last season at Home that sent us into freefall ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Hero » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm

I was disappointed with how Grants substitution played out last night. From the time he left the pitch Lincoln appeared to boss midfield.

Grant not only creates chances, he also needs 2 of their team to track and watch him. Once he was off, they used those players to create and over run us imo.

We went from a good balance of creativity and resilience, to just hard running and no end product.

A few of the team look off their game just now. CJ, Walker and Mellis all look as though they need a refresh and reset. And we are missing White. Jones is ok but doesn’t pose the threat of White when attacking.

We go again Saturday. It’s been a cracking season and I’m lovin’ it!
Harrington St Hero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Walker just had a rest!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

S7AGS wrote:A few at work that are not Stags fans watched on Sky and both said Grant played well and were surprised he was taken off.

I'd have left grant on and taken Mellis off who really wasn't having a good game and replaced him with Tomlinson - he has good energy and good creativity....and as a midfield pair Bish and mini Bish would have given grant (or Khan later on) freedom to play/create.

Flitters seems to have got scared of making subs earlier on in the game (he was good at this to good effect before Christmas) - it was obvious to my untrained eye last night that Lincoln had got on top by about 60-65 mins and without significant changes to personnel and formation the lads on the pitch wouldn't turn the tide back in our favour and it turned out to be the case. The same happened last Tuesday....why no Khan or Ajose on ~60mins? Khan Did well when he came on v Port Vale and we needed a goal v a poor Crawley side so why not roll the dice? I think he only used Tomlinson from about 85mins....again, too late and probably the wrong player when you need a goal (I get it that Flitters had settled for a draw but why - playoffs isn't the aim?).

After the poor performance v Port Vale, the last 2 games have been much better (Crawley and Lincoln) but cant help but feel but for more 'bravery' in tactics / personnel we could easily have been 4 points better off - especially the Crawley game, they are not a good team as evidenced by them getting hammered at the weekend.

Frustrating

This. Exactly the same view / comments I've just made on another thread.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Grant might be below par at the moment - but he is still our best creative midfielder ... and he is crucial to our promotion chances this season.

Get behind him and support him - rather than knocking his confidence.

Our support over these next few games could make or break this season.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum