{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Another big away following. Another poor show.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Another big away following. Another poor show.

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:55 pm

We certainly seem to be saving our most disappointing performances for when expectation is so high.

Port Vale were not a better team than us but all eleven of theirs put in a shift, whereas a couple of our players didn’t break sweat.

Comments?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Another big away following. Another poor show.

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 pm

I don't think there's anything else to add Edders
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby wwindsor1972 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Thats been our problem a number of times this season, we have 6 or 7 very good players but the rest are national league players at best, today those national league players stepped up and so all 11 put in a shift and we managed to get a result.
I thought you were very quick at moving the ball from back to front and had exciting front players. The changing point of the game was the penalty save, that goes in and the national league players mentioned earlier heads would of dropped and you would of gone on to win that game easily..
Good luck for the remainder of the season guys...
wwindsor1972
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 pm

If Tyler Walker was playing then we would have won the game because he would have scored the penalty and goals change games. Vale heads would have gone down and the home crowd would have started to get on their backs.

I was also a bit concerned about the fact that nobody seemed to know who should be taking the penalty. Nicky Ajose grabbed the ball but Jacob Mellis has scored a penalty for the Stags and Jorge Grant is good at set pieces. It looked like we had gone back to the old Rob Duffy days when he used to wrestle for the ball with Ged Keegan and Luke Medley. Mind you, Rob Duffy would have scored today. Ajose went and pinned a target to the goal and then pointed at it to give Scott Brown a clue where he was hitting it.

We need to go up in the top three because we will not be able to handle the pressure in the play offs.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:53 am

Who was Ged Keegan? Can't remember him from the wilderness years. I can remember a Keegan Parker who was a head case but Ged :problem:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 am

The guessed right with the penalty, had he gone the other way it’s a goal, that’s the lottery of penalties
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 am

Confidence puts it in the top or bottom corner hit with pace though and the custodian doesn't even sniff it whether he goes the right or wrong way. Not at 'a nice height' which if he guesses right (keeper may well have studied Ajose's pens the week before if he's taken any) is just a strong hand away from a stop.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:44 am

Spiritater wrote:Who was Ged Keegan? Can't remember him from the wilderness years. I can remember a Keegan Parker who was a head case but Ged :problem:

Ged Keegan played 18 matches for us in 1983-84. As Rob Duffy was less than two years old around this time, Ged may well have been able to wrestle the ball off him to take the penalty.

Seriously though you would have thought the team would have known who would take the kick before the game started. I remember Mellis attempting to wrestle the ball off another player when we were awarded a previous penalty too. It looks embarrassing to see your own players fighting over a football between themselves.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am

Has to be addressed then if Walker's not on the pitch.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 am

Spiritater wrote:Who was Ged Keegan? Can't remember him from the wilderness years. I can remember a Keegan Parker who was a head case but Ged :problem:

Dementia setting in after I've been smacking my head against a brick wall after that defeat :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum