{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

new rules coming

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: new rules coming

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:according to the laws as they are at present, it was a penalty. The law needs to be changed in my opinion, because that should not have been a penalty. Just my opinion.

I thought the discussion here was good. A referee's view and the ex-players' view: https://sport.bt.com/did-var-get-contro ... 4343299471

another very good discussion by the pundits on BT after the Chelsea game tonight. A similar incident to the Man Utd game. No penalty given, and no VAR. Glenn Hoddle getting quite agitated about it saying they need to get some ex-players into ifab to change the ruling.

So what was Glenn's suggestion for the new law? It's OK for the likes of Hoddle, Ferdinand etc to criticise the laws, but if it was that easy to solve then it wouldn't be the issue it is. Also top level footballers and managers are always consulted on the laws, I am surprised Hoddle is not aware of that.

Gary Linekar said last night that every time the ball hit the hand/arm it was a foul, just like the foot rule in Hockey. To me that clears all doubt, but the inevitable result will be more free kicks and more stoppages to the game.

Hoddle didn't have a suggestion. But it was quite a good discussion and he was adamant that the current ruling doesn't make sense.

I don't like Lineker's suggestion at all personally. I think it would be farcical. I also think it would lead to players booting the ball hard deliberately towards players' arms in the box.

So with that in mind, maybe it isn't wise to get ex-footballers to decide the laws, which was my point :lol:

For the record, I also do not agree with Linekars suggestion, but at least he, unlike Glenn, Rio etc has at least come up with a suggestion. Easiest thing in the world is to call something rubbish, it is a bit harder when you are then asked "so what would you do?".

Me, I'd leave it to the ref's judgement as to whether it was a deliberate act or not - but sadly I think football at the top level will soon be just like the NFL.

I agree with you.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:according to the laws as they are at present, it was a penalty. The law needs to be changed in my opinion, because that should not have been a penalty. Just my opinion.

I thought the discussion here was good. A referee's view and the ex-players' view: https://sport.bt.com/did-var-get-contro ... 4343299471

another very good discussion by the pundits on BT after the Chelsea game tonight. A similar incident to the Man Utd game. No penalty given, and no VAR. Glenn Hoddle getting quite agitated about it saying they need to get some ex-players into ifab to change the ruling.

So what was Glenn's suggestion for the new law? It's OK for the likes of Hoddle, Ferdinand etc to criticise the laws, but if it was that easy to solve then it wouldn't be the issue it is. Also top level footballers and managers are always consulted on the laws, I am surprised Hoddle is not aware of that.

Gary Linekar said last night that every time the ball hit the hand/arm it was a foul, just like the foot rule in Hockey. To me that clears all doubt, but the inevitable result will be more free kicks and more stoppages to the game.

Hoddle didn't have a suggestion. But it was quite a good discussion and he was adamant that the current ruling doesn't make sense.

I don't like Lineker's suggestion at all personally. I think it would be farcical. I also think it would lead to players booting the ball hard deliberately towards players' arms in the box.

So with that in mind, maybe it isn't wise to get ex-footballers to decide the laws, which was my point :lol:

For the record, I also do not agree with Linekars suggestion, but at least he, unlike Glenn, Rio etc has at least come up with a suggestion. Easiest thing in the world is to call something rubbish, it is a bit harder when you are then asked "so what would you do?".

Me, I'd leave it to the ref's judgement as to whether it was a deliberate act or not - but sadly I think football at the top level will soon be just like the NFL.

The laws of association football apply not only to those that have sold their soul for tv money but all the way down the pyramid to the Sunday League games. VAR, players giving their weight to an in game decision, players giving their input to the law making process diverts the games from being all encompassing and tilts it towards marketing a product.

The match referee should be the only whose opinion that counts. The Premier League and all other TV completions ought to spend a fraction of their resources on referee development and recruitment at all levels.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 pm

The problem with the idea of players keeping a "natural" silhouette is that it ignores the fact that it's a fast moving game. If you're doing a quick change of direction, as in the case of the Man Utd incident, having your arms by your side isn't a natural position at all. You may well have an arm or two outstretched for balance, and have no idea that the ball is about to be thumped towards you. In slow motion, or in a video still, it might look like you should be able to move the arm out of the way, but that's not reality.

In my view, slow motion VAR should never be allowed, not should they be allowed to stop the motion. It takes away a very important factor (momentum) and gives the false notion that the laws of physics don't apply. If a couple of full-speed replays aren't clear enough then the ref should take the decision.

It's the same with some bad fouls. They look much worse in slow motion, because it makes you think that the offender could have pulled out of the movement or changed direction. So it looks deliberate, when in fact he may have been pretty much a passenger by the time contact was made.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:34 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

The laws of association football apply not only to those that have sold their soul for tv money but all the way down the pyramid to the Sunday League games. VAR, players giving their weight to an in game decision, players giving their input to the law making process diverts the games from being all encompassing and tilts it towards marketing a product.

The match referee should be the only whose opinion that counts. The Premier League and all other TV completions ought to spend a fraction of their resources on referee development and recruitment at all levels

Yeah !!!
Let's spend more money on them to carry on making a right balls up of it all. ;)
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum