{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Chelts Scorefred sponsored by in Ajose we trust.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Chelts Scorefred sponsored by in Ajose we trust.

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 am

Conker wrote:We will struggle with Atkinson and Jones at WB - impossible to replace White.

Our best option at RWB in the absence of White is Hamilton without a doubt. We all know that isn’t his best position, but he is better than Jones and Atkinson in that role comfortably in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 am

julianshatnasty wrote:Even when he debuted as sub Tomlinson was excellent, looks a class above and prepared to get stuck in too. Was his contract only until the end of the season?

18 month contract so up to end of 2019-20 season
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 am

Conker wrote:We will struggle with Atkinson and Jones at WB - impossible to replace White.

We didn't struggle yesterday though did we? Neither of the goals were attributed to mistakes from the RWB area.

We've got to get on with it, Hayden's out for the season. Give Jonesy and Atko support when they play there.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 am

I can't understand some saying we were poor. I thought we played well and commanded the game .
It's a shame MK Dons have picked up as there is a gap between us and fifth .
Grant and Jones wasn't great yesterday but the rest of the team played well . I said before the County game that we needed to play Tomlinson with Mellis and Bishop . The lad looks a class act .
Things are looking good . Grant has been off the boil the last couple of games but we know what he can do . Rose is due back earlier than expected . Preston and Walker back soon . Both Turner and Macca will get stonger.
We displayed a lot of character. The team have a togethermess I haven't seen for many a season .
The ref nearly buggered it up for us and we could of easily gone to pot.
I've praised Atkinson every game he's played . He quietly goes about his business. Every team has a player like that . All in all , a good day at the office.
On to Vale . Should take a good following and I exoect three points . Just hope the midweek games go in our favour .
A shout out to Ajose too . Thought he was excellent .
Coys
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:45 am

We were definitely not poor, I think we were pretty average generally but that’s all was needed against a abysmal Cheltenham and referee.

Tomlinson certainly was not average though, he’s the only player I have seen all season to get round the pitch better than Bishop - two games on trot too!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 am

Tomlinson's distribution is excellent most of the time as well. He likes to do the gritty stuff but can also play. A real addition to the squad.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 am

Atkinson had a good game when he came on CJ until the last 10 minutes of the 1st half was hesitant to go down the wing.

Grant tries too hard tries to be flash in the wrong places n at the wrong time of the game if your 3 nil up with 10 minutes to go yeah try the showboating skills but not when were struggling to get a momentum n a foothold in the match...

Referee got loads wrong yesterday makes you wonder what they see....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 am

Atkinson, for me, is just too slow to be a WB. However, he is our player, and as Jones has done nothing yet and belongs to Fleetwood, 'd strongly back Atkinson every time.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Atkinson, for me, is just too slow to be a WB. However, he is our player, and as Jones has done nothing yet and belongs to Fleetwood, 'd strongly back Atkinson every time.

Atkinson isn’t a RWB, but is decent as a RB. He was very good when he came on.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:17 am

I thought Ajose played well yesterday too and was very unselfish in his play. He’s always looking for space and looks good with CJ.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:19 am

Spiritater wrote:

We didn't struggle yesterday though did we? Neither of the goals were attributed to mistakes from the RWB area.

We've got to get on with it, Hayden's out for the season. Give Jonesy and Atko support when they play there.

Neither suit the role good enough in comparison to White, and If I was to pick I would still go for Jones at WB but Atkinson at RB.

Either way i'll be supporting them, but one game against a absymal side is not enough evidence youth.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Had to watch it again on EFL. The presenter definitely said summing up the table Mansfield losing today means they are down next to bottom. Macclesfield you dick
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:47 am

oldnic wrote:Had to watch it again on EFL. The presenter definitely said summing up the table Mansfield losing today means they are down next to bottom. Macclesfield you dick

I saw it last night and thought he said that too but put it down to tiredness on my side and mishearing him :roll:
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:49 am

Isn't it good that all the talk pre match was about Ajose in light of Walkers absence yet without our 'talisman', one man team, goalscorer etc etc we scored four. Despite Ajose not scoring its healthy that we can score from others without unnecessarily putting undue pressure on specific individuals
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

Our best option at RWB in the absence of White is Hamilton without a doubt. We all know that isn’t his best position, but he is better than Jones and Atkinson in that role comfortably in my opinion.

I agree that Jones & Atkinson aren't ideal RWBs, but ... Hamilton would not have scored those two goals playing at RWB. Playing Hamilton at RWB is a waste of his effectiveness in my opinion. He is so much more likely to score & create goals on the left, or up front in the middle.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Jorge Grant - Some people have been critical of him over the last few games, yet despite his sub-par performances (by his standards), he has still had a hand in the crucial match winning goals in the last two games. He should definitely continue to start games in my opinion. He will be vital to our promotion prospects.

Tomlinson looks a great player and should be a definite starter for me (even ahead of Mellis if necessary, although the best midfield option would include both players).

RWB is the only questionable position. We have no choice but to support either Jones/Atkinson in that role for the remainder of the season. Could MacDonald fulfill that role? Would he have the required defensive qualities?

Alternatively, we could play with a flat back four ... which would bring in to play players like MacDonald/Otis Khan as out and out right wingers. I like the sound of that. It would buck the trend of DF's tactics so far and it would be a brave gamble ....... However, it is the kind of bravery that we might need in order to secure promotion.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Jorge hasn’t been at his best, but he can make something happen out of nothing. We should be encouraging him and yet folk that sit near me keep saying they don’t rate him!!! After some of the rubbish players we’ve had over the last 10 years these comments make me laugh out loud. He’s the most talented player we’ve had for years so let’s get behind the lad. Can someone answer this: How many goals has Jorge had a direct involvement in since coming here, and also as a percentage of all the goals we’ve scored in that time. It must be quite high.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Think we might even see Macca at RWB in a back 5.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:36 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Jorge hasn’t been at his best, but he can make something happen out of nothing. We should be encouraging him and yet folk that sit near me keep saying they don’t rate him!!! After some of the rubbish players we’ve had over the last 10 years these comments make me laugh out loud. He’s the most talented player we’ve had for years so let’s get behind the lad. Can someone answer this: How many goals has Jorge had a direct involvement in since coming here, and also as a percentage of all the goals we’ve scored in that time. It must be quite high.

Absolutely right, players like Jorge have been few and far between in my time. He can unlock a defence with his passing. Yes sometimes he does make the wrong decision but that's part of the ride with him. Support the lad, he is the key to unlocking defences in that league and will come good again.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby weststander » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Jorge hasn’t been at his best, but he can make something happen out of nothing. We should be encouraging him and yet folk that sit near me keep saying they don’t rate him!!! After some of the rubbish players we’ve had over the last 10 years these comments make me laugh out loud. He’s the most talented player we’ve had for years so let’s get behind the lad. Can someone answer this: How many goals has Jorge had a direct involvement in since coming here, and also as a percentage of all the goals we’ve scored in that time. It must be quite high.

Grant is quality. It's nice to see a player looking to do something special with the ball, rather than acting like the ball is ticking!!.
Sometimes though, when he recieves the ball in our half, he just needs to control it and pass it on rather than trying to do a stepover followed by a 40yrd through ball. I would be very very happy if by some miracle we kept him longer than just this season.
Can't say I heard much negative on Saturday, apart from one bloke in front of me who moaned the whole game about fans moaning!
You couldn't make it up :roll:
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 pm

:lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am

Jorge Grant is a quality player who can help create goals but when he goes missing (County) or it is not happening for him (Cheltenham) then DF should not be afraid to sub him which he did on Saturday. It can be pointed out though that Jorge was still involved for two of our goals.

The No 10/free role position is so important to a team and there are other options that DF can try if Jorge is having an off day. Jacob Mellis plays better further forward where he can hurt teams which bringing Tomlinson into the team has allowed him to do again. Otis Khan and Macca could also play in that position.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jorge Grant is a quality player who can help create goals but when he goes missing (County) or it is not happening for him (Cheltenham) then DF should not be afraid to sub him which he did on Saturday. It can be pointed out though that Jorge was still involved for two of our goals.

The No 10/free role position is so important to a team and there are other options that DF can try if Jorge is having an off day. Jacob Mellis plays better further forward where he can hurt teams which bringing Tomlinson into the team has allowed him to do again. Otis Khan and Macca could also play in that position.

My only real criticism of Jorge Grant is that i wish Otis Khan was him! :lol:

Apart from him playing hide n seek in some of the physical / gritty games & the odd 'overplaying it' there isn't too much wrong with the lad. Chelts & Counteh are always going to be tough games for him to compete in, based on their aggressive players & style. I presume he's ultra-careful about season-ending tackles, because he wants to go back with ground-breaking accolades, rather than a 'ground-broken' achilles ;)

I'd fancy Jorge to get another 5 or so goals, which could be pivotal at this time of season. In the past DF struggled to fit Otis into the team, and i'm hoping by playing Jorge he's learning more about how to fit him in, as ultimately i want Khan knocking them in for us. I really hope Otis becomes one of our star performers next year.

Considering we'll have played a good chunk of the season without Bobby, Hayden & Craig, i think DF has compensated and filled the gaps excellently.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Grant was poor on saturday.He like most players can have off days.He is one of the most talented payers ever to put on a stags shirt.Even if a player has a poor game I will still support him.He will know he is not playing his best he doesnt want someone shouting that he is not worth 3 out of ten.He has been mom in many games since his arrival.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:49 pm

The sooner Grant realises that there are eight other outfield stags players on the field the better.

He only knows to showboat or pass to his mate Tyler.

With Tyler not on the pitch Saturday, he was lost.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum