{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Chelts Scorefred sponsored by in Ajose we trust.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Chelts Scorefred sponsored by in Ajose we trust.

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Just home and elated............I dont get Jones at all and it was so pleasing that DF saw what we all did and subbed him at half time. He was an absolute blocker to everything that came down the right wong and provided nothing at all.......Atkinson was great ....to sit on the bench for almost the whole season and then put in a performance like he did ....well done that man......felt sorry for Nicky Ajose....put in an absolutle selfless shift but that goal just wont happen for him.

thought Grant was useless today as he has been since the County game......he need s to do what Bish does and play simple balls rather than showboating constantly and losing possession.

Well done DF for having the nouse and courage to change things when they needed changing.

Such a great win.....pity it just kept pace with the other top 3.....just keep winning boys!!!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Have to say, something about Atkinson I like. Despite not getting into the starting 11 for a long while, it seems he just gets on with it and always puts in a shift when he’s on. Glad he scored today
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Agree with everything above. Would add that I thought Tomlinson was superb. The first time I have seen him and his passing was outstanding. Created four great chances with his vision. Bravo young man.

Ajose worked really hard too, needs on to go in off his belly (again!)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Tomlinson has been brilliant every time he’s played so far.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Should have been more comfortable but for the Ref gifting them the free kick for their first. There was a clear handball by their man before the tackle. Tomlinson's tackle late on which he got booked for also looked a fair tackle to me.
4 goals without Walker is good stuff and 3 points is the important thing.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 88BenM » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Tomlinson was superb today. The first 30 minutes was a bit of a non-event, it looked like we were trying to play Ajose in over the top but they were just too tall and too physical for him. When Flitcroft swapped it up, Tomlinson played an absolute killer ball through to Ajose and he squared it! He should have got his goal in my opinion, rather fortunate for the way it fell for CJ too. Then a couple of minutes later, Mellis played the killer ball through to CJ and he confidently tucked it away, the same ball was then played through to CJ, I'm not sure who by, but just wide of the goal and Ajose was unlucky not to divert the ball goalwards from CJ's cross. It could have easily been 3-0 before HT.

What on earth was the referee doing? Why give a free kick in that position if you aren't 100% sure. A great finish, but it should never have been and to book Mal as well! Is that him out for the next 2 now? He was absolutely brilliant today, that 2nd half was awesome from him. Everybody else has covered Atkinson, what a performance from him!

Amazing team spirit when Macca scored, a storming run from him and composed finish, a great day at Field Mill.

We are going up!!!
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Tomlinson looked a class act.

For me, I think today laid to rest a few worries folk might have had, the fightback from Cheltenham (and the ridiculous decision for the free kick for their first) might well have sent us into a spiral last season - yet this season we managed to overcome it.

Not the best game we’ll ever play and the home atmosphere was shocking, but the record shows 3 points.

Onto port vale, with 1500 fans in tow I hope we perform
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 pm

All round a good day. Agree with the above comments about Atko, Benning and Tomlinson. Bish was superb again and I thought Mellis did well too. Good to see Sweeney back and looking solid and what a moment for Macca. It was nice for the fans to recognise him the way they did.

In fact, it was a top performance from the fans today. Cracking atmosphere in the IGU with lots of noise and even a cheeky smoke bomb. The kids deal definitely helped to boost the atmosphere. Well done all!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm

88BenM wrote: A great finish, but it should never have been and to book Mal as well! Is that him out for the next 2 now?

Benning doesn't have ten yellows.

It is Bishop and Preston on nine.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 pm

I prefer Atkinson to Jones.

Clearly neither of them are a patch on White in the RWB position.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Yet to see much good from Jones . We look way better with Mal and CJ at wing back, but I think Atkinson should start on the right next week after his performance. Drop grant and play CJ and Ajose up front.

A very much needed three points seeing as everyone around us today also won. I think it's a 4 team fight for those 3 spots now
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Thank God DF swapped Sweeney back over to the left side of defence. Tomlinson was my MOTM, absolutely superb again today.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Interesting game on Tuesday night where Bury go to Cheltenham, Cheltenham have won 6 of their last 8 home games, including the last 4 on the spin, Bury have won their last 4 away games. Could be a tough game for them.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just home and elated............I dont get Jones at all and it was so pleasing that DF saw what we all did and subbed him at half time. He was an absolute blocker to everything that came down the right wong and provided nothing at all.......Atkinson was great ....to sit on the bench for almost the whole season and then put in a performance like he did ....well done that man......felt sorry for Nicky Ajose....put in an absolutle selfless shift but that goal just wont happen for him.

thought Grant was useless today as he has been since the County game......he need s to do what Bish does and play simple balls rather than showboating constantly and losing possession.

Well done DF for having the nouse and courage to change things when they needed changing.

Such a great win.....pity it just kept pace with the other top 3.....just keep winning boys!!!!

Bang on.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Iliketrains wrote:Cracking win! A bit squeaky bum time at 2-2 but this side are going up. No doubts at all for me. Congrats all round to GF, the lads and the fans today. Just disappointed i wasn't there to see it.

?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
88BenM wrote: A great finish, but it should never have been and to book Mal as well! Is that him out for the next 2 now?

Benning doesn't have ten yellows.

It is Bishop and Preston on nine.

Benning is now on eight League bookings.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I prefer Atkinson to Jones.

Clearly neither of them are a patch on White in the RWB position.

Jones has offered little so far, but as you mention it’s almost guilty by association.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Tomlinson is way above league 2 level a great signing and take my hat off to Atkinson
Shame Mk did not drop points
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:17 am

Even when he debuted as sub Tomlinson was excellent, looks a class above and prepared to get stuck in too. Was his contract only until the end of the season?
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Paulstag » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:30 am

What date is the cut off for 10 bookings to be a 2 game ban?
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:32 am

Paulstag wrote:What date is the cut off for 10 bookings to be a 2 game ban?

37 games. Two more games for Bishop, Preston (on 9) and Benning (on 8) to survive.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 am

Tomo looked excellent. Like a Bish 2.0.

Strange game yesterday, we were poor at times but they didn't really threaten bar the excellent free kick and corner, both of which came from dodgy decisions.

Jury still out for me on Jones and Ajose and it clearly wasn't happening for Grant yesterday. Nice to see Flitcroft pull Jones at half time and change things a few times thought the game.

Pleased for Atkinson. He seems a great pro and always willing. On what I've seen hed also be my pick over Jones for RWB.

Great result and 3 points closer to L1. COYS
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:31 am

We will struggle with Atkinson and Jones at WB - impossible to replace White.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 am

Jamie wrote:Tomo looked excellent. Like a Bish 2.0.

Strange game yesterday, we were poor at times but they didn't really threaten bar the excellent free kick and corner, both of which came from dodgy decisions.

Jury still out for me on Jones and Ajose and it clearly wasn't happening for Grant yesterday. Nice to see Flitcroft pull Jones at half time and change things a few times thought the game.

Pleased for Atkinson. He seems a great pro and always willing. On what I've seen hed also be my pick over Jones for RWB.

Great result and 3 points closer to L1. COYS

They referred to Tommo as 'mini Bish' on t'Beeb. Very apt in my opinion in the way he plays. I feel we've gotten ourselves a real rough cut diamond here and when polished... well imo he'll be a focus for scouts. Interestingly I was sat behind two scouts (don't know where from) but one of em ringed his name in red felt tip before leaving with 10 to go.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 am

I have great sympathy for both Jones and Ajose.
Jones was playing with a left footed centre half who has been out for a couple of games at right centre half and they were absolutely ripped apart at times. That said he seems to offer less up front than he did when he first came.
Ajose loois like a man who has 15 or so games left on his contract and he cannot buy a goal. His confidence looks shot (hence the assists rather than shooting) he worked damned hard.

It was interesting to see the difference between Grant and Ajose on being subbed. Grant's ego was hurt whilst Ajose looked shattered by not scoring and coming off. I suspect we won't have any of those three next year and only Grant will stay in the memory for much time
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum