{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft post match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Flitcroft post match

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Flitcroft post match

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:10 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 am

Mark Cooper was 100% correct in his assessment of the ref.
He was a "look at me ref"
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:16 am

I think that's a fair assessment of the game and the officiating. I felt the ref was a bit pernickety with stopping both sides from taking quick free kicks, but he was consistant unlike Mason last week.

I would say though I though the 'supergrass' lino had an excellent game. He didn't miss a trick and unlike some (to our cost) he wasn't afraid to make a call for the ref. It does my head in when linos don't have the courage to flag for fouls that are right under their nose.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

I put on another page that I thought the linesman was the best we have seen at One Call.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Good to see Cooper giving us some credit and not bemoaning the goal we scored much to the shock it seems of the FGR reporter who obviously was miffed and thought it was a foul. Hope he (the reporter) watches our highlights that Marty's done which show Tyler just got up higher and headed it as the ball was there to be won.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Spiritater wrote:Good to see Cooper giving us some credit and not bemoaning the goal we scored much to the shock it seems of the FGR reporter who obviously was miffed and thought it was a foul. Hope he (the reporter) watches our highlights that Marty's done which show Tyler just got up higher and headed it as the ball was there to be won.

Cooper and his sidekick were moaning to the fourth all game, but interestingly were both silent when we scored. Unlike their embarrassed goalkeeper!
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chris M » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Sneag wrote:I think that's a fair assessment of the game and the officiating. I felt the ref was a bit pernickety with stopping both sides from taking quick free kicks, but he was consistant unlike Mason last week.

I would say though I though the 'supergrass' lino had an excellent game. He didn't miss a trick and unlike some (to our cost) he wasn't afraid to make a call for the ref. It does my head in when linos don't have the courage to flag for fouls that are right under their nose.

Drives me mad too. I am convinced that some lino's are told not raise their flag until the referee has made a decision.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:57 pm

It’s true that some men in the middle give the assistants the lines and offsides and that’s it. All Assistants Referees are fully qualified as referees, and it seems a waste not to empower them to take the lead in their respective quarters of the pitch.

I know when I was a referee, I really welcomed the occasions when I had appointed linesmen. It made my life as a referee easier. Empowering the linesmen certainly allowed me to work my “S” effectively. I know there’s a difference between L2 and The Notts Alliance, but the principal is the same.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:It’s true that some men in the middle give the assistants the lines and offsides and that’s it. All Assistants Referees are fully qualified as referees, and it seems a waste not to empower them to take the lead in their respective quarters of the pitch.

I know when I was a referee, I really welcomed the occasions when I had appointed linesmen. It made my life as a referee easier. Empowering the linesmen certainly allowed me to work my “S” effectively. I know there’s a difference between L2 and The Notts Alliance, but the principal is the same.

Not at this level Edders, in fact, I have never been told not to give FK's when on the line. Of course when you don't have neutral AR's at youth/Sunday level then your brief to the volunteer on the side is as you say, with an added comment about not abusing you as the ref! I think what some forget is that the ref is on an open mike, they are consulting continuously throughout the game (Daz Drysdale never stops talking to his AR's) so whilst it may look to the fans that the AR is giving nothing, it is likely he has been asked not to flag by the ref.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Rob wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:It’s true that some men in the middle give the assistants the lines and offsides and that’s it. All Assistants Referees are fully qualified as referees, and it seems a waste not to empower them to take the lead in their respective quarters of the pitch.

Not at this level Edders, in fact, I have never been told not to give FK's when on the line. Of course when you don't have neutral AR's at youth/Sunday level then your brief to the volunteer on the side is as you say, with an added comment about not abusing you as the ref! I think what some forget is that the ref is on an open mike, they are consulting continuously throughout the game (Daz Drysdale never stops talking to his AR's) so whilst it may look to the fans that the AR is giving nothing, it is likely he has been asked not to flag by the ref.

Never having officiated at this level, I bow to your superior knowledge Rob.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:02 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Never having officiated at this level, I bow to your superior knowledge Rob.

Well me neither, I've put following MTFC ahead of refereeing, but I am friends with a few who do and of course these things are discussed at our training days, in particular the importance of a thorough pre-match brief.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum