{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Youngsters released?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Youngsters released?

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Jordan Graham wasn't being frozen out though.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

steve-hymas wrote:I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:

If DF is 'freezing out' youth players then Evans must've killed em and put them in the ground himself!

Jordan Graham wasn't frozen out, and a few others like Jason Law and Alistair Smith have had games in the checkatrade.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:02 pm

If anybody can be bothered to search the teams in our league ,I would think there is only a few youth team players in there teams ,
If you risk one and it fails ,the buck stops with the manager
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:36 pm

daddycool wrote:If anybody can be bothered to search the teams in our league ,I would think there is only a few youth team players in there teams ,
If you risk one and it fails ,the buck stops with the manager

Try this

https://experimental361.com/2018/12/31/ ... -dec-2018/
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:43 pm

To be fair I don’t think Jordan Graham ever played for our youth team.He was signed as a professional and not as an academy player.

The one youth teamer who has come through is Lewis Gibbens so far.

Potentially the likes of Wilder, Ward, Smith and maybe Sinclair are the most likely to break into the first team set up and out of these players only one in four will probably make it.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:And not forgetting that we only got Liam Lawrence when he was released by Forest at 15/16 years old after being there since age 10/11.

I think Liam Lawrence and Craig Disley were both released by Nottingham Forest and Bobby Hassell and Lee Williamson were released by Derby County.

Teddy Bloor and Henri Wilder were released by Brighton, Tom Fielding was released by Leicester City and Jimmy Knowles was released by Nottingham Forest.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:And not forgetting that we only got Liam Lawrence when he was released by Forest at 15/16 years old after being there since age 10/11.

I think Liam Lawrence and Craig Disley were both released by Nottingham Forest and Bobby Hassell and Lee Williamson were released by Derby County.

Teddy Bloor and Henri Wilder were released by Brighton, Tom Fielding was released by Leicester City and Jimmy Knowles was released by Nottingham Forest.

Which of our youth products actually came through us only from early ages ?

Off top of my head I can only think of Bappa, Buxton and Darrell Clarke.

Not sure about Tom Naylor and Danny Bacon.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Rob/Steve cheers for the info. So can you clarify my original point about the lads I mentioned being released. Is this true or not as you’ve not clarified it. Thanks.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:27 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Which of our youth products actually came through us only from early ages ?

Off top of my head I can only think of Bappa, Buxton and Darrell Clarke.

Not sure about Tom Naylor and Danny Bacon.
Possibly Mick Laverick did.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:26 pm

steve-hymas wrote:I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:

With the way that the kids were played in the Checkatrade, I presume that you mean in training. This is clearly a very serious issue if an insider has to make it public
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Frozen out? Give me a break!

Nothing to do with Flitcroft making comments about the training ground you built is it.....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby healthclub » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Interesting stuff! I was in Nando’s the other week just before the Mac game and I was sat next to Fielding and Hakeem. I must say that they are cracking lads and had time to talk to me and my family. They was both full of praise for Flitcroft and said the standard of the first team is very high with the likes of Walker, Ajose and Grant upfront with the likes of Rose, Davies, Graham and Khan not even in the team or injured! They both mentioned that it’s a top half League 1 team. They both said that they feel part of the first team and seemed to love their jobs, more now than previous management. Football at any level is all about opinions and luck I personally feel that Law should be in the first team more but Flitcroft is the gaffer and I trust him to make the right decisions. Remember he’s helped the likes of Stones and Rosey to make a nice career and gets the best out of the likes of Mellis, White and Walker. :coys:
healthclub
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:30 am

Nice to hear that Jason.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Frozen out? Give me a break!

Nothing to do with Flitcroft making comments about the training ground you built is it.....

I doubt it in all honesty. The timing of the opening of the RH site is more the pertinent point here. No matter what Rob says about the benefits of plastic pitches, the fact that the players have been longingly looking at the grass shows me where they'd sooner be and why they've toddled of back to t'Mill to do work on the grass top pitch. The grass at the time the RH was opened was sadly not ready and needs work to bring it up to a certain standard as it's still very much as it was when it was Woburn and had not been used for quite a while. I'd imagine Mezz and his cohorts will be hard at work during the next 6 months or so upgrading and carefully nurturing the sward at the RH so that when PS arrives they'll have a plethora of top quality surfaces to train on in the confines of the RH site.
The All weather surface is what it is an excellent all weather surface but isn't what the players do the 'real stuff' on a Saturday or Tuesday and so therefore grass has to be the primary surface for training on with all it's imponderables.

Hey it's just my take on the situation and no doubt Rob'll wade in championing the cause of plastic, but the fact remains we do our stuff on grass and therefore 80-90% of the time we should stick to said surface'
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Steve Hymas says some barmy stupid things sometimes. In the position he's in and the position we're in, why rile the manager and the set up?

I don't understand his thinking, a team top three in the table, hardly losing a game, big budget, quality signings and not playing kids is freezing them out?? Do me a favour.

Genuinely Steve, pick your best first 20 and see how many kids are in it and then tell DF where he's going wrong.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Well we now have a striker shortage ( injury and suspension), so Zayn should at least make the bench.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 pm

I thought "frozen out" would be like expecting a 1st teamer to train with the youth team. How does a manager freeze out a player whose side is technically managed by John Dempster?

Also, are you inferring that DF lied to us when he said he had some youth teamers train with the first team? Is that what you mean by frozen out, perhaps DF know they won't get a start for the first team and they train with the YT lads so when they play for them they aren't like strangers. It's a long process getting a YT lad through. Or would you rather we just chuck one of them in and see if they sink or swim, before being taught how to swim?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Well we now have a striker shortage ( injury and suspension), so Zayn should at least make the bench.

Is he actually good enough for the first team bench? Genuine question as I’ve not seen him.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Zayn's already played for the 1st team a couple of seasons back.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:35 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Well we now have a striker shortage ( injury and suspension), so Zayn should at least make the bench.

Is he actually good enough for the first team bench? Genuine question as I’ve not seen him.

He didn't let us down when he played a game under Murray. We are so stretched he or another youngster should at least make the bench.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

He didn't let us down when he played a game under Murray. We are so stretched he or another youngster should at least make the bench.

With all due respect, we were in a safe position then, we’re now fighting for promotion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm

For someone with such an important role in a professional club, I don't find it right you post on a fans message board spouting such tripe. It's not at all professional and can't imagine a director at any other club doing so. I know how passionate you are but leave it off here and focus on the club.

As for being frozen out... They're kids. Are you suggesting the manager risks promotion for the sake of giving minutes to kids over players the chairman has invested heavily in??!

And for being good enough, that's the managers decision and I back him. I've been around the set up at Derby and it's streets ahead of ours and the recruitment is top notch. I'll use Timi as an example, he's played in premier League 2 quite comfortably and got Derby in and around the top 3 of a very good league with the likes of Chelsea, city and united. Can you honestly say any of our kids are even close to his quality? Timi at present is only good enough for League two, so where does that leave our kids standard at?

I've seen most of our youth lads and they look and play like boys, not men. The manager is clearly trying to bring the youth through, gibbens, Smith, Graham, law and all the others he played in the cup game. Just because he's not picking the few players you think will do well DOES NOT mean they are being frozen out, in fact that's such a ludicrous statement and nasty dig at a manager who's doing really well.

If you're bitter the training ground isn't up to scratch yet and those professional footballers would rather play on actuall grass than wow who ever is responsible for the players having to train on 4G needs sacking. When I was at Derby the first team was strictly banned from going near it and could only do incredibly light work on the indoor like stretching and jogging/ bit of passing when the weather was bad. We used to play staff matches after work at moor farm and was always told, "an ambulance will takes 25 minutes".

As no hunger in paradise proves, most youth setups are failing kids and it's not the managers fault.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Jack Thomas played regularly but was found wanting once our squad quality went up a couple of notches. We can't afford to needlessly weaken our team just so a youth teamer can play.

People can complain that we've taken a young lad from another team when we have players already in a similar situation. That is a Pee poor response. We have the cast offs of those teams, where the players we have on loan were selected by the parent club because they developed at an acceptable rate and we picked up the better of the players they released. I'm not saying they won't ever make it. There are rags to riches stories however there are not many, which is why we haven't had a successful player come through our youth system for years, except maybe Tom Naylor but he's only in the league above.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Spot on Sedge, he should keep his thoughts to himself.
Full of opinion but most of it not very constructive.
Somebody has clearly put his nose out recently, and it's irritating him.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby jpstags » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

For someone with such an important role in a professional club, I don't find it right you post on a fans message board spouting such tripe. It's not at all professional and can't imagine a director at any other club doing so. I know how passionate you are but leave it off here and focus on the club.

As for being frozen out... They're kids. Are you suggesting the manager risks promotion for the sake of giving minutes to kids over players the chairman has invested heavily in??!

And for being good enough, that's the managers decision and I back him. I've been around the set up at Derby and it's streets ahead of ours and the recruitment is top notch. I'll use Timi as an example, he's played in premier League 2 quite comfortably and got Derby in and around the top 3 of a very good league with the likes of Chelsea, city and united. Can you honestly say any of our kids are even close to his quality? Timi at present is only good enough for League two, so where does that leave our kids standard at?

I've seen most of our youth lads and they look and play like boys, not men. The manager is clearly trying to bring the youth through, gibbens, Smith, Graham, law and all the others he played in the cup game. Just because he's not picking the few players you think will do well DOES NOT mean they are being frozen out, in fact that's such a ludicrous statement and nasty dig at a manager who's doing really well.

If you're bitter the training ground isn't up to scratch yet and those professional footballers would rather play on actuall grass than wow who ever is responsible for the players having to train on 4G needs sacking. When I was at Derby the first team was strictly banned from going near it and could only do incredibly light work on the indoor like stretching and jogging/ bit of passing when the weather was bad. We used to play staff matches after work at moor farm and was always told, "an ambulance will takes 25 minutes".

As no hunger in paradise proves, most youth setups are failing kids and it's not the managers fault.

Do you ever post on here without harping back to the time when you worked at Derby bloody County ?
Maybe SH would be better off not posting his thoughts on here especially when most can't see any wrong in Flitcroft, just remember there is a lot that goes off behind the scenes that you don't know about .....
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum