{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Youngsters released?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Youngsters released?

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:57 pm

steve-hymas wrote:I find it a little worrying that many wouldn’t back one of our youth/under 21 strikers being given a chance given our mini striker crisis .If they don’t get a chance in this situation it’s never going to happen.
Any striker out of contract will not be match fit and our lads are chomping at the bit .
Fergie took that decision on youth and the rest is history.They weren’t household names at the time.
Craig disley ,Liam Lawrence etc anyone ??

I never said I wouldn't back them. Just that there are other players ahead of them. You've kinda written off the chance of one of them getting a place on the bench for Saturday before Saturday has even arrived.

Look at Jordan Graham and Alistair smith. Both spent a full season on loan at a non-league club and did well. Both are in and around the first team. Who exactly are we going to play? Hakeem or Fielding or Law?

Personally I can see Law getting the nod.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:12 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:How will we know they're good enough for the first team if they don't get a chance? Reserve games are nowhere near the same as a first team fixture (most aren't even played on the same surface!). There's a young lad at Notts who has scored in 8 consecutive reserve games & is the best player on the pitch in most games but can't get in the 16 of a team 92nd in the league, it's madness.

Like you say, a reserve fixture isn't the same as a league fixture. Why would a kid get in ahead of a seasoned Pro, probably on 5-10x the wage. Jordan Graham would probably get a start on Saturday alongside Ajose, but he's injured. We may very well go with a youth striker on the bench.

Imagine if DF started a youth teamers and he was like a fish out of water and we drop out of the autos, there'd be hell to pay.

Because he might just be good enough? But how will we know if we don't try it?

Because the management team will see them everyday Dan. If they have shown enough in the youth team, then the u21's and then the reserves they will undoubtedly been training with the first team on a daily basis. It will be on that basis that DF and his team's decide if "he's good enough" or not.

I'm the best photographer in our family, maybe I should be given a shot and taking Clownty's photos on Saturday, it's madness.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Dan wrote:What's his strongest team though? No one knows that either, probably not even DF. You put a team out there HOPING it's your best/strongest & then end up getting beat.

There are so many examples over the years where kids have been thrown in & been brilliant. Look at Ryan Yates at Forest for the most recent success.

And of course I'll leave you with a famous quote from Alan Hansen which bit him on the arse: "You don't win anything with kids!".

Another being ex Stags player Craig Mitchell ! I'm sure he was put in and scored against Notre county . Correct me if I'm wrong .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm

The likes of Knowles, Fielding and Hakeem were training with the first team today on the top pitch at t'Mill today. They must be in the thoughts of DF somewhere.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Spiritater wrote:The likes of Knowles, Fielding and Hakeem were training with the first team today on the top pitch at t'Mill today. They must be in the thoughts of DF somewhere.

That doesn’t sound very frozen out to me - maybe Steve should go to training rather than post snide comments about DF?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 am

steve-hymas wrote:I find it a little worrying that many wouldn’t back one of our youth/under 21 strikers being given a chance given our mini striker crisis .If they don’t get a chance in this situation it’s never going to happen.
Any striker out of contract will not be match fit and our lads are chomping at the bit .
Fergie took that decision on youth and the rest is history.They weren’t household names at the time.

Steve who in your opinion would you include Saturday and why?

Interested to here your views as your closer to the set-up than most.

Personally hope someone gets a chance Saturday (Cheltenham won't be a push over), if Ajose is struggling and we need a plan B hopefully they take their opportunity with both hands.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:34 am

Stags 2002 wrote:

Steve who in your opinion would you include Saturday and why?

Interested to here your views as your closer to the set-up than most.

Personally hope someone gets a chance Saturday (Cheltenham won't be a push over), if Ajose is struggling and we need a plan B hopefully they take their opportunity with both hands.
Exactly right as Steve says if a youngster can't be involved Saturday albeit from the bench, given our current difficulties, then what is the point of youth.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BGW Stag » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 am

Maybe, just maybe the manager doesn't believe they are good enough or ready yet, based on what he sees in training against first team players. I am more than happy to feel like DF would make the right call in that matter.

Just because we have a youth team, doesn't mean we will automatically general any players which will turn out to be good enough to play for the first team, so to some degree, there is no point in us having one, but all teams just hold out that hope that you get lucky every so often and bring through a few stars.

However if there was a star player through the local youth football, they are still likely to end up going to one of the bigger teams youth setups.

Gibbens got a game earlier this season as people wanted and was found to be out his depth.

Jack Thomas, said by many to be the next big thing for us, found out to not be good enough and now playing several leagues lower.

We just got very very lucky with that era we had with Lawrence, Baptiste and people seem to think that will happen every season just because we have a youth team
BGW Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby daddycool » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:48 am

All players start as youth players for somebody ,well most do..if they are good enough they will get games
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:52 am

BGW Stag wrote:Maybe, just maybe the manager doesn't believe they are good enough or ready yet, based on what he sees in training against first team players. I am more than happy to feel like DF would make the right call in that matter.

Just because we have a youth team, doesn't mean we will automatically general any players which will turn out to be good enough to play for the first team, so to some degree, there is no point in us having one, but all teams just hold out that hope that you get lucky every so often and bring through a few stars.

However if there was a star player through the local youth football, they are still likely to end up going to one of the bigger teams youth setups.

Gibbens got a game earlier this season as people wanted and was found to be out his depth.

Jack Thomas, said by many to be the next big thing for us, found out to not be good enough and now playing several leagues lower.

We just got very very lucky with that era we had with Lawrence, Baptiste and people seem to think that will happen every season just because we have a youth team

Not according to Marty. Gibbo got a 6 that day, on par with Sweeney, Olejnic and better than Davies, Walker and Macca at Macclesfield. In Marty's words 'looks a fine prospect'. He'd made his debut that day, would be nervous and played in part of a team that put in a stinker of a performance, but that wasn't Gibbo's fault it was a collective thing. He's done nothing wrong in the Checkatrade games either, scoring a 7 and an 8. 'Out of his depth', oh dear oh dear.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 am

Its not about not backing them, its who do you drop out of the squad especially now as we have ajose and cj who we know can do a job up up
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am

As most will probably know already I’m not two faced .i say the same thing in the boardroom as I would say on here or in Tesco .
If we never give our youngsters the opportunity to show what they can do what is the point.
Football in general are dismissing their own youth.It seems that players frozen out (term of phrase ) at a championship club are deemed better .not knowing anything about them at all .not seen them train ,play or anything.
Oh well,leave you all to the squabbling for a while :D
One thing that I think would improve this site is if folk posted under their own name.
:coys:
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 am

I dont think people are debating that as such Steve, its more about the timing.

Everyone would love a gem to come through, but you have to weigh it up against the risks of throwing a lad in at the deep end.

The good news is, if DF decides to play knowles for example, we'll be fully backed by the fans
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:26 am

steve-hymas wrote:As most will probably know already I’m not two faced .i say the same thing in the boardroom as I would say on here or in Tesco .
If we never give our youngsters the opportunity to show what they can do what is the point.
Football in general are dismissing their own youth.It seems that players frozen out (term of phrase ) at a championship club are deemed better .not knowing anything about them at all .not seen them train ,play or anything.
One thing that I think would improve this site is if folk posted under their own name.

Agree with you Steve and get your point, we won’t know until they’re thrown into the action, but at this stage of the season it could be a risk for DF. If it failed he would get the flack. I suppose you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Keep up the good work though as I’m sure the next Lawrence etc isn’t far away. COYS.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:As most will probably know already I’m not two faced .i say the same thing in the boardroom as I would say on here or in Tesco .

Agree with you Steve and get your point, we won’t know until they’re thrown into the action, but at this stage of the season it could be a risk for DF. If it failed he would get the flack. I suppose you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Keep up the good work though as I’m sure the next Lawrence etc isn’t far away. COYS.

Dont think you are wrong, I like the look of Tom Fielding and Tyrese Sinclair in particular. Flair players.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:33 am

Saying that, both are not local lads either even though they are in our youth/reserve set up. Fielding is from Leicester i think and Sinclair is from that way too (son of Frank Sinclair)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:48 am

Dan wrote:How will we know they're good enough for the first team if they don't get a chance? Reserve games are nowhere near the same as a first team fixture (most aren't even played on the same surface!). There's a young lad at Notts who has scored in 8 consecutive reserve games & is the best player on the pitch in most games but can't get in the 16 of a team 92nd in the league, it's madness.

Dan.
Who would you drop out of our first team at this stage of the season for a youth team player?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Hymas - a real name?

Surely not? :D
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Of course players on the periphery of a championship club are better than players on the periphery of a league 2 club. Smith, Grant and Walker all have professional league experience. It's no comparison to make. The standards of a championship club are far higher than the standards for a league 2 club. Their training facilities are generally better, the new training ground was only recently opened for use. seeing the benefits of that will take time too.

At the end of the day DF has a job to do, that job is promotion. When you are building houses and you need an extra team of brickies, do you go to the local college and get people in who have very little experience? Or do you tender it out and get the best you can, for the right price?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Dan.
Who would you drop out of our first team at this stage of the season for a youth team player?

It's not a case of dropping someone for a youth team player. It's if there are injuries/suspensions which we have got now that people are still saying they wouldn't play one of the youth teamers. People would rather put a square peg in a round hole rather than give a youth teamer a chance which is ridiculous. We might as well disband the whole youth setup.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Dan wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Dan.

It's not a case of dropping someone for a youth team player. It's if there are injuries/suspensions which we have got now that people are still saying they wouldn't play one of the youth teamers. People would rather put a square peg in a round hole rather than give a youth teamer a chance which is ridiculous. We might as well disband the whole youth setup.

No, people are not saying that. They wouldnt bang matt preston up front would they. As it stands we have a first teamer for each position. Thus no need to include a youth teamer. by all means wack on one bench if short
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Spiritater wrote:The likes of Knowles, Fielding and Hakeem were training with the first team today on the top pitch at t'Mill today. They must be in the thoughts of DF somewhere.

That's good to hear. I bet Steve welcomes it as well.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Staunch defence and explanation from DF in today’s press conference
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Would like to Zane on the bench, a good support if required.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm

BGW Stag wrote:Maybe, just maybe the manager doesn't believe they are good enough or ready yet, based on what he sees in training against first team players. I am more than happy to feel like DF would make the right call in that matter.

I don't think Bill Dearden would call it luck. It had to be done out of necessity. Also you might get lucky with one, but not with three or four that emerged at that time.

As for Jack, he did prove good enough, but lost his way probably down to bad management.

If at least one of the young strikers are not on the bench tomorrow, I think it will be demoralising for the youth set up.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum