{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lost only 5 games all season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Lost only 5 games all season

Postby ironbru » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am

But 4 since January 5th 2019, worrying??
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Lost only 5 games all season

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am

Slightly however all teams go through a bad patch.

Look at MK for example, they’ve had a stinker 7/8 games and now look right back In the mix.

We’ve got some huge games coming up against teams around us which we can’t afford to lose.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am

Slightly yes, particularly when I think back to the debacle last season. If Exeter get something from their game in hand we only have a 6 point buffer over 8th! Quite aware though that circumstances were obviously very different last season, and I don’t expect us to go on a run like that again of course, but it’s important to get back to winning ways Saturday otherwise things can start to get nervy. Need 6 points from the next 2 to get us right back on track, good opportunity to do so as well being at home.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am

losing at Newport and Notts Co is of course very worrying. This year we've won 5, drawn 1 and lost 4. Earlier in the season we were drawing too many games.

Big games coming up now. As I said in my report on Saturday, MK Dons look a huge threat. I think it's probably 3 from the top 4 to go up automatically.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 am

One win and two defeats are normally just as good as three draws.

Keep the faith lads.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 am

Martin Shaw wrote:losing at Newport and Notts Co is of course very worrying. This year we've won 5, drawn 1 and lost 4. Earlier in the season we were drawing too many games.

Big games coming up now. As I said in my report on Saturday, MK Dons look a huge threat. I think it's probably 3 from the top 4 to go up automatically.

MK Dons have a really favourable run of fixtures now, I can see them going on a great run which will pile the pressure on us.

The final day of the season has potential to be absolutely huge.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:51 am

We do look like we are on a bit of slide but hopefully if worst came to worst we would make the play offs but something like a 1 1 draw at home Sat will really start the nail biters going and we must not be over anxious and play the football we are capable of.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 am

Saturdays game is massive, win that and i would back us against Chelts and Port vale!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:06 am

Saturday is the biggest game of the season so far now. So important that we get 3 points. We usually do bounce back pretty well after defeats but I’m just worried injuries and suspensions to key players are going to put us in the play offs come the end of the season. Hayden White is a real loss imo. Having said this, no team is that great and if we play with any intensity we should be ok.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 am

Controversial but don't you think its since the introduction of Grant in the No10 role, especially as he rarely digs in to give Bish and Mellis a hand.
We are suddenly losing the midfield battle with just them two in there as when we had another good footballer in there(Elsnik) we were generally controlling games and looked very comfortable.

This in my opinion where Flitters has to take some blame, as last season hes tweeked it and its costing us.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Controversial but don't you think its since the introduction of Grant in the No10 role, especially as he rarely digs in to give Bish and Mellis a hand.
We are suddenly losing the midfield battle with just them two in there as when we had another good footballer in there(Elsnik) we were generally controlling games and looked very comfortable.

This in my opinion where Flitters has to take some blame, as last season hes tweeked it and its costing us.

I have been thinking in recent weeks (since FGR away) that the opposition do tend to have a man over in midfield. I can see why he is prepared to take that though, Grant on form is quality.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:20 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Controversial but don't you think its since the introduction of Grant in the No10 role, especially as he rarely digs in to give Bish and Mellis a hand.

Back of a fag packet stats:

4 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats with Grant in the side. 13 points from 7 games. 1.86 points per game

45 points from 26 games before Grant joined. 1.73 points per game.

Grant was brought in to provide flair to turn draws into wins, and I'd argue he's done that.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 am

Had we played well at Newport and Notts Co it could have been written off as bad luck.

It seems to have crept in away - 1st half at Carlisle and Colchester (though the 2nd half in both games were much better) Newport and Notts County were pretty terrible - home form remains as impressive as usual.

FG and Cheltenham at home should yield a minimum of 4 points - it's if we lose to Port Vale i'd start to get concerned.

With the money that's been provided anything else other than promotion would be a complete scandal.

Hopefully it's just a wee blip and we can move on.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 am

I hope we don’t capitulate again like last season, Although it hurt last season, I could understand because it was Evans team. But this team now is very much DF team and there will be no excuses. What gets me is that he is obsessed with this 5 at the back formation, so much that rather than change it, he plays an unfit defender in there. When we’ve gone 4-3-3 we’ve looked decent. From loosing 1 in 23 up to Xmas to now loosing 4 in 10 is worrying, but look at Lincoln, they have drew there last 3 games and it looks like there having a bit of a wobble. We need to get behind them at home and get the wins needed and the odd win away and I think we will be fine. We don’t need the last game scenario of needing a win against MK Dons to grab automatic promotion, because as we all saw on Saturday we will just buckle under the pressure. As the saying goes, it’s all in our hands to achieve our dream and it’s ours to loose, because even after 2 successive defeats were still 3rd with a 2 point cushion. 6 points from next 2 home games and things will look a lot clearer, so let’s get behind them.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby scotsstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 am

To me it's where the points are being dropped.
Shouldn't be loosing to Yeovil, Notts or Newport IMO. The latter 2 games had 1 shot on target in over 3 hrs of football.
In addition only taking 1 point of a possible 6 from the likes of a team playing like Yeovil is terrible, once again IMO. :cry:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am

Agree with both Martin and Adam Stag here.

The average points per game look ok in that run and ultimately that’s all that counts. What I got from Martin’s point.

The concern is the few games where we’ve been completely off the pace of late, the last two Newport and Notts County but also vs Colchester or Macclesfield where we managed to pull ourselves together and rescue the points. It’s been proved we can’t comeback every time, if we can find some consistency we’ll be fine.

After Forest Green there’s a good run where we should pick up points, let’s hope we’ve not been totally caught or overhauled by then.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Long way to go yet. Get there Saturday, show them some support and let’s go on another run
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Sweeney is a loss and White is a HUGE loss.

Last few games we've not done the ugly stuff well at all.

There is a mentality problem at the moment, coupled with a loss of form of key players.

Who'd have thought a home tie Vs FGR in February would be a massive game.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 pm

:coys:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Long way to go yet. Get there Saturday, show them some support and let’s go on another run

Good Post
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm

White is the biggest reason we're in this wobble. I don't think anybody really realised how immense he'd become for us. He was different class at Grimbsy
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jimstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Not just how good white is but the fact there’s no natural replacement. Feels the same with Mal to be honest.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Jimstag wrote:Not just how good white is but the fact there’s no natural replacement. Feels the same with Mal to be honest.

Suppose Hamilton could go there, Also Jason Law(now a wing back) has impressed me when i have seen him play.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:51 am

Anybody else feel we've been missing something in midfield ever since Bish has been 1 yellow away from a 2 game ban? He's got 4 more games to go until it gets wiped and then he's 6 yellows away from a ban.

The problem with CJ is he will hug the line and be in acres of space on the opposite side of the pitch but doesn't make his team mates aware. He needs to be more vocal.

Either he will be picked out by a pass or will pull another player out to him. The reason we seem swamped in midfield is because we have a player on his own out wide. I just wish he would make the team aware that he's an option. It's easy for fans to see it because we have an almost "top down" view of the pitch, in the dugout and on the pitch it is harder to spot just how much space he actually is in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 am

gazza1988 wrote:Anybody else feel we've been missing something in midfield ever since Bish has been 1 yellow away from a 2 game ban? He's got 4 more games to go until it gets wiped and then he's 6 yellows away from a ban.

The problem with CJ is he will hug the line and be in acres of space on the opposite side of the pitch but doesn't make his team mates aware. He needs to be more vocal.

Either he will be picked out by a pass or will pull another player out to him. The reason we seem swamped in midfield is because we have a player on his own out wide. I just wish he would make the team aware that he's an option. It's easy for fans to see it because we have an almost "top down" view of the pitch, in the dugout and on the pitch it is harder to spot just how much space he actually is in.

Yes its as if he's been shackled and playing at 50% because he doesn't want to pick up a two game ban.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum