{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Safety concerns

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Safety concerns

Postby trenty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Before Saturdays game we were told that our ticket allocation was reduced due to the concourse under the main stand couldn't cope with 5,000 fans, well that was certainly true
I arrived at 12.25pm and as soon as I entered the concourse it was one big crowd crush with people queueing for toilets, food and entrance to the ground.
It was a proper crowd crush boarding on a huge safety manner, struggling to find which steps to go up into seats I decided that the next set I came to I would use as it was very dangerous to stay in that crush
I showed my ticket to steward who tried to send me back into the crush to another set of stairs
I told him it was to dangerous and a health and safety issue and that I was going up the stairs now, so I pushed past him and then waited for my daughter that was still stuck in the crowd below
Just as she arrived the stewards tried to send her packing as well so I started telling them no way either of us were going back into that crowd
A senior steward arrived and a short heated discussion occurred before he relented and took us to our seats
I am 64 but can look after myself but I would never ever bring my grandkids to this ground as it's not safe to do so, I am sure many more people less able or with kids would have found yesterday frightening not helped by the stewards blocking everyone from entering the ground
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Safety concerns

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm

A Bradford style fire in that stand would kill hundreds. Getting down the steps & out the exit seemed to take an age yesterday.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm

I went County about 4 years ago with the York fans as one of my mates is a York fan and they had vastly underestimated the number of York fans attending that day. Fortunately we got seats near the back of the middle stand but they had only allocated the middle stands and closed the rest off thus resulting in crowding, chaos and rising tempers. There basically weren't enough seats for the number of fans there and the stewards refused to open the closed sections of the stand to ease the problem.

For the entire first half there were loads of York fans stood up all the way down the steps in between the rows of seats because there wasn't anywhere for them to sit which is against ground regulations. I wasn't very mobile at the time and spent most of the first half sat down watching the game through the crack of some blokes arse as there were just York fans stood the length of the steps blocking everyones view.

The stewards didn't seem to think this was a problem and this continued right the way through the first half despite numerous complaints and even chants about the stewards not having a clue what they were doing.

Second half the stewards finally realized that their comedic mismanagement of a straightforward crowd situation was contravening all sorts of regulations and they opened up some more seats.

I complained to County and effectively asked them for half my ticket price back as i only saw half a match and the butt of some Phil Mitchell-esque meathead from Clifton Moor. I thought a half refund was a fair request for only seeing half a match through no fault of my own and putting my safety at risk into the bargain and whilst i did get the courtesy of a response. My request was refused.

Braindead stewards. Braindead people who run match day operations there. Putting people at a safety risk through incompetence and lack of awareness and frightening indecisiveness.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Perhaps there should be an official complaint to the appropriate officer at Notts County Council Safety Advisory Group.

I understand from previous threads that he is a huge county fan thus the reason they come down so hard on our ground.

It would be interesting what type of response would be forthcoming

Unfortunately I wasn't in that stand or I would do it myself.

I don't think we will be playing them again in the near future so a reduction in capacity shouldn't affect us too much. It might lose them a bit of revenue before the season's end though.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 pm

trenty wrote:Before Saturdays game we were told that our ticket allocation was reduced due to the concourse under the main stand couldn't cope with 5,000 fans, well that was certainly true
I arrived at 12.25pm and as soon as I entered the concourse it was one big crowd crush with people queueing for toilets, food and entrance to the ground.
It was a proper crowd crush boarding on a huge safety manner, struggling to find which steps to go up into seats I decided that the next set I came to I would use as it was very dangerous to stay in that crush
I showed my ticket to steward who tried to send me back into the crush to another set of stairs
I told him it was to dangerous and a health and safety issue and that I was going up the stairs now, so I pushed past him and then waited for my daughter that was still stuck in the crowd below
Just as she arrived the stewards tried to send her packing as well so I started telling them no way either of us were going back into that crowd
A senior steward arrived and a short heated discussion occurred before he relented and took us to our seats
I am 64 but can look after myself but I would never ever bring my grandkids to this ground as it's not safe to do so, I am sure many more people less able or with kids would have found yesterday frightening not helped by the stewards blocking everyone from entering the ground

I'm afraid that has been my experience trenty over a number of years going to ML.

When we had the Kop that was scary....going through that tunnel to our seats past the bar/burger stall

And yes last year the crowd was a crush and again was scary. I would not ever contemplate taking a littly with me.

Can't understand why the SAG have not investigated this. It seems to happen consistently when we go to ML.

Do they ever learn or do we need another tragedy to happen before things change?
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby StagR » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 am

Sixty eight this year - I decided after Saturday I am not going to Meadow Lane again to watch the Stags for exactly this reason. Not pleasant and has been said, terrifying for kids, who then couldn’t see much of the “game” anyway because all the blokes insist on standing up throughout the match. Not an environment which encourages old ‘uns and families.
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:41 am

Good job the stand's capacity has been cut by 1,000.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 am

Sneag wrote:Good job the stand's capacity has been cut by 1,000.

I think the capacity needs to be cut by another 1500 - 2000.

Also they need to look at the traffic managment before and after the game.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am

StagR wrote:Sixty eight this year - I decided after Saturday I am not going to Meadow Lane again to watch the Stags for exactly this reason. Not pleasant and has been said, terrifying for kids, who then couldn’t see much of the “game” anyway because all the blokes insist on standing up throughout the match. Not an environment which encourages old ‘uns and families.

But it didn't need to be like this, our stewards have a reputation but the 'mess' Saturday was caused by the stewards.
It wasn't rocket science to see the crush they were creating by not letting you into the stand and you could then disperse to seats, common sense in the circumstances.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:29 pm

I took my lad (6) and we didn't have any problems... We arrived about 12:20 ish, went to the correct turnstile, no queue to get in at that point. Yes the tunnel area was busy but nothing worse than you get behind the QLE at half time or in any busy stand before/after kick off. The stewards did check tickets at the steps, as they were no doubt told to because it was clearly advertised as being allocated seating. The fact many of our fans seem to think rules don't apply to them is more of a problem. After the game it took a while for people to filter out but once the queue was moving we got out quickly and safely and out onto the busy but closed road behind.

Just a thought, but if you're worried about the crush or it being busy, get there earlier... If you're worried about that same after the game, wait a few minutes before leaving.

People are so quick to blame others and shout foul, but really everything mentioned here could easily have been avoided by concerned fans with a bit of pre-planning and patience.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Thats why nothing gets done.
Why bury your head in the sand.
County need to sort it before someone is hurt.
They are very fast to trash talk our ground .
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DE STAG » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Jamie wrote:I took my lad (6) and we didn't have any problems... We arrived about 12:20 ish, went to the correct turnstile, no queue to get in at that point. Yes the tunnel area was busy but nothing worse than you get behind the QLE at half time or in any busy stand before/after kick off. The stewards did check tickets at the steps, as they were no doubt told to because it was clearly advertised as being allocated seating. The fact many of our fans seem to think rules don't apply to them is more of a problem. After the game it took a while for people to filter out but once the queue was moving we got out quickly and safely and out onto the busy but closed road behind.

Just a thought, but if you're worried about the crush or it being busy, get there earlier... If you're worried about that same after the game, wait a few minutes before leaving.

People are so quick to blame others and shout foul, but really everything mentioned here could easily have been avoided by concerned fans with a bit of pre-planning and patience.

To some extent I agree, but that stand isn't capable of dealing with a crowd surge in the event of an emergency. Imagine 4,000+ fans all rushing for the exits all at once, doesn't bear thinking about.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby trenty » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Jamie
That's utter crap, it was boarding on to a major incident caused by the stewards not letting people into the stands and no amount of forward planning by fans would of helped. You blaming me when I arrived in plenty of time when it's totally the fault of mismanagement
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tibby » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Jamie. Spot on. Saved me typing a reply!

My lad is 6.

We arrived 12.15-12.20, no problem. Took him to toilet about half hour in, and again at in 2nd half. No queues. End of game clapped the losers off, waited few minutes afterwards, and left.

No issues whatsoever.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Getting in and out of the gents toilet was very difficult.One way in and same way out.Very poor for such a large crowd.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 am

tibby wrote:Jamie. Spot on. Saved me typing a reply!

My lad is 6.

We arrived 12.15-12.20, no problem. Took him to toilet about half hour in, and again at in 2nd half. No queues. End of game clapped the losers off, waited few minutes afterwards, and left.

No issues whatsoever.

What if everyone turns up at 12.15-12.20 then?
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:33 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
StagR wrote:Sixty eight this year - I decided after Saturday I am not going to Meadow Lane again to watch the Stags for exactly this reason. Not pleasant and has been said, terrifying for kids, who then couldn’t see much of the “game” anyway because all the blokes insist on standing up throughout the match. Not an environment which encourages old ‘uns and families.

But it didn't need to be like this, our stewards have a reputation but the 'mess' Saturday was caused by the stewards.
It wasn't rocket science to see the crush they were creating by not letting you into the stand and you could then disperse to seats, common sense in the circumstances.

A lot of the stewards were ours. Us, Notts & Forest use the same
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:00 am

Foresttownstag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

A lot of the stewards were ours. Us, Notts & Forest use the same

That's ok then we can blame ours again :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:

My lad is 6.

No issues whatsoever.

That's a very valid point.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:59 am

scotsstag wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:

My lad is 6.

No issues whatsoever.

That's a very valid point.

Likewise if there was an evacuation? It would be a disaster! Many of us said there was more aggression in that tunnel before the game than on the pitch!
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

They wont all get there early will they. They all want more booze.

Isnt that what caused the horrible scenes at Hillsborough?
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

tibby wrote:They wont all get there early will they. They all want more booze.

Tbf I wish I’d have drank more, might have glossed over that “performance”.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 pm

No it's not Kelvin MacKenzie.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Not the point though tibby, for every person that gets there early, and I didn't, I had about 3 or 4 pints, and got to ML at 12.45. I wasn't lary or drunk, just wanted to get to my standing position in the ground, and its mayhem, and not because everyone is tanked up. The concourse underneath is simply not fit for purpose by a country mile, people are looking at their ticket stubs, and wondering where to go and no room to get there. It is a windowless tube, packed with people who want to get to the pitch, excited by the game and some yes with a few too many beers, but that's not the reason, its a factor is all.
There are thousands of seats and a tiny walkway, a recipe for disaster.
As for Hillsborough, and I was there , the official verdict is a gate was opened, allowing in fans, some yes were drunk, but I haven't rightly or wrongly seen that as the reason. Most died in the tunnel leading to the centre section, as that was the way they looked for immediate entry as easiest. On that day from 2.30, you could see that something looked badly wrong in that stand. Haunting stuff seeing bodies under coats in front of you, and yes I did feel a chill on Saturday as I was effectively carried along in the concourse.
Saying ALL wanted more booze for not getting in early is for me not accurate, and yes I do think you made the right decision to get in early with your lad.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:04 pm

No.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum