{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lee Mason Referee

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lee Mason Referee

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Don’t blame the referee. Did he have a hard decision to make today? The answer is no. All challenges he blew for were easily identifiable.

He had an easy game but 4,200 from Mansfield wanted a scape goat for the performance of their players. We need to look at ourselves before we blame the referee.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Kernow wrote:Still rate him Martin?

I'd imagine Martin is embarrassed by his post. Very rarely have I seen a refereeing performance so poor.

I'm not embarrassed by my post at all. We had a large stroke of luck that Mason didn't send off Turner after 6 minutes. Without having watched it again yet, it looked like he should have done. Mason didn't have a good game, but from a Stags point of view, unlike 3 of the last 4 games, he didn't turn down a stonewall penalty for us, or fail to send off an opponent when he should have done. In summary, the ref shouldn't be the main talking point tonight, it's why our team didn't show up.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Don’t blame the referee. Did he have a hard decision to make today? The answer is no. All challenges he blew for were easily identifiable.

He had an easy game but 4,200 from Mansfield wanted a scape goat for the performance of their players. We need to look at ourselves before we blame the referee.

We certainly deserved to lose but also deserved some consistency. Homer if ever there was one, none of his decisions caused a goal but the swan dive he fell for in the second half summed up his day, it was laughable.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Not blaming the ref for the defeat.He was very poor imo.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:44 pm

A total homer the whole game. Need to see the early Turner foul again. Perhaps he was so biased towards them to even up that he didn't send one of ours off.

Agree he didn't cost us the game, we did that ourselves. A very one sided refereeing performance though.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:57 pm

How do you work the first bit out, it was handball in the first instance!
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

I'd imagine Martin is embarrassed by his post. Very rarely have I seen a refereeing performance so poor.

I'm not embarrassed by my post at all. We had a large stroke of luck that Mason didn't send off Turner after 6 minutes. Without having watched it again yet, it looked like he should have done. Mason didn't have a good game, but from a Stags point of view, unlike 3 of the last 4 games, he didn't turn down a stonewall penalty for us, or fail to send off an opponent when he should have done. In summary, the ref shouldn't be the main talking point tonight, it's why our team didn't show up.

So you're not embarrassed to say he is Premier League class, but then go on to say that he got a major red card decision wrong in th first ten minutes?

He was terrible for County if anything. Disgusting performance. It was all about him.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm

He was a shocker.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Sat right across from it Martin MS looked offside from the free kick and also hand balled it before Turners challenge
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:16 pm

The ref missed the handball in the Turner incident, was inconsistent (mostly in the home side's favour), seemed to want attention, was fooled by playacting and got close to losing control altogether. Apart from that, good refereeing. I don't blame him for the result but he didn't help the game as a spectacle.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:46 pm

It was hand ball but the player was facing towards us. Lino behind him and ref behind Turner. Perhaps the ref thought handball is plausible and only have him a yellow as a result. Maybe the lino behind the goal idea should be implemented.

The difference today was they drew more fouls than we did.

If you watched that as a neutral with no idea where either side were and only knew one was 2nd the other rock bottom, you'd say the team in amber have no hope of staying up.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Poor ref, poor performance,poor game. Was like a conference local derby without the passion.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:56 pm

We got what we deserved today and the referee was in no way responsible for our embarrassing and guileless performance.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Don’t blame the referee. Did he have a hard decision to make today? The answer is no. All challenges he blew for were easily identifiable.

It wasn’t so much the ones he gave but the ones he didn’t. He was inconsistent and Notts were very clever/ “professional”.
Any little contact and they went down and they got away with a lot of shirt pulling, etc. both on and off the ball. Are you saying that Notts really only committed 6 fouls in the match to our 21?
I’m not looking for a scapegoat (because we weren’t on our game today) just some consistency and a referee who should know, and be able to spot, the tricks of the trade.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby grufti » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:20 pm

County deserved to win, but that was the most biased refereeing I've see for a couple of seasons.
Turner shouldn't have been sent off because Mackail-Smith handled it to control it before Turner pulled him back. Mellis won the ball first before any contact, and with Pearce's the County player ran into Pearce.
Three dives by County players on the right wing, 2 given as fouls, the one that wasn't not booked. Shocking the whole game.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby edwinscott » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Blaming the ref is a total bottle job by the fans, we didn’t turn up and the team in general let us down. Now up to the them to show some spirit to come back from this
edwinscott
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Red was definitely biased roads they home team one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a official this season. But don’t let that paper over the cracks as he could,of favoured us and we’d still be out there trying to score now with no luck.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm

I don’t think anyone is blaming the ref but he was incredibly bias towards the home side. Like someone has already said it was probably the most biased game we have been involved in for many seasons - and the answer to another point, Darren Drysdale would have done a much more professional job than him today.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm

pemill wrote:I don’t think anyone is blaming the ref but he was incredibly bias towards the home side. Like someone has already said it was probably the most biased game we have been involved in for many seasons - and the answer to another point, Darren Drysdale would have done a much more professional job than him today.
Well the chances of us getting him again are remote so best to forget it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

For pity's sake. No one is blaming the referee.

The fact that he was absolutely diabolical probably helped us. But he is still incompetent and a disgraceful official.

No one is shunting blame. Just observing that he was absolutely atrocious.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:05 pm

edwinscott wrote:Blaming the ref is a total bottle job by the fans, we didn’t turn up and the team in general let us down. Now up to the them to show some spirit to come back from this

who's blaming the ref? most stags fans know we were awful today and that wasn't down to the ref. people are just slating him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:07 pm

A good example of inconsistency was when he brought Benning back to take the throw in in the first half. When Benning encroached again, he gave the throw the other way. Ok I'll accept that.

Second half he brought heir keeper back when taking a free kick. The keeper then encroached by a further good couple of yards but he let him get away with it. How is that showing consistency for both teams?

Although he didn't directly give them the game, the constant nit picking against us definitely undermined our confidence and approach to the game. No excuses though we got exactly what we deserved, naff all.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

The frustration for me is that, yet again, a higher level referee comes down to our level and is little better than what we normally see.

The Turner incident was a handball but, if he hadn't seen it, then it was a clear red.

Likewise, Stead's elbow on Bishop was either no card or a straight red. There were some theatrical dives which went unpunished and there was period of 2 minutes about 6 into the second half where Michael Doyle was a one man wrecking ball (mostly off the ball) and should have been booked (At least).

I am not normally a card demander from refs but today was another bottle job
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Random Hero wrote:For pity's sake. No one is blaming the referee.

The fact that he was absolutely diabolical probably helped us. But he is still incompetent and a disgraceful official.

No one is shunting blame. Just observing that he was absolutely atrocious.

This.

He wasn’t the reason for defeat by any means, but he was absolutely gagging to blow up at any opportunity. Expected a bit more leniancy after his debacle on Tuesday but no, still desperate to blow his whistle and there was no rhythm to the game whatsoever as a result.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm

ref was crap to say hes a prem ref he was crap so was his linesman near our fans
6 times on the trot their left back lifted his back foot as he took a throw non flagged
crap officals crap performance crap day out good night.
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum