{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clownty scorefred sponsored by Great Boo's up

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Clownty scorefred sponsored by Great Boo's up

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 pm

The whole ‘I want Notts to stay up’ talk from Bishop midweek set the tone for the rest in my opinion. No fight, no passion, nothing to get the travelling fans off their feet. Don’t worry though because ‘Notts will stay up’... great.

He’s been brilliant mostly this season, but that didn’t sit right with me ahead of derby.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 pm

This was a repeat of Newport, one good strike claimed the points. For several games now we have looked devoid of energy or tactics. We huffed and puffed but did nothing in front of goal. It's the midfield that is not delivering. We have been outpaced in the last two away games in midfield. Thus there are no opportunities going to the strikers who are working on scraps. Not the game to introduce two players who were coming back from injuries. We need to get the engine room back rather than looking tired and playing long balls. Without the ball we are poor. Very disappointed as both Counties worked harder than we did
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martian » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 pm

well nice one stevenage - one straw to clutch
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Just when you thought today couldn't get any worse them blue nosed raspberry up the A617 won.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:12 pm

BH_Stag wrote:The whole ‘I want Notts to stay up’ talk from Bishop midweek set the tone for the rest in my opinion. No fight, no passion, nothing to get the travelling fans off their feet. Don’t worry though because ‘Notts will stay up’... great.

He’s been brilliant mostly this season, but that didn’t sit right with me ahead of derby.

What do you expect him to say ? He was quite passionate and hopeful in the interview I saw .
You would expect any player who played that many games for a previous club to say the same in that instant .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:25 pm

tmwilson wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:The whole ‘I want Notts to stay up’ talk from Bishop midweek set the tone for the rest in my opinion. No fight, no passion, nothing to get the travelling fans off their feet. Don’t worry though because ‘Notts will stay up’... great.

What do you expect him to say ? He was quite passionate and hopeful in the interview I saw .
You would expect any player who played that many games for a previous club to say the same in that instant .

Don’t begrudge him for his time with County and again, he has been great this year, just came across a bit soft to me before a derby game - just my opinion. Say it after the game if you need to say it.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:28 pm

What a ridiculous comment. To imply he took it easy because he was playing an old club and then compound it by saying the rest followed suit. We lost, it happens. Time to move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:44 pm

That has got to be one of the worst games of football I’ve seen in years, a local derby ruined by stop start and delay the whole game. The ref was awful and so were we and county got their tactics to work perfectly. Spoil the game and stop us playing which was easy for them to do. They wanted it more and deserved what they got...we have to bounce back and put it behind us. No games will come easy .
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm

We were utter garbage from start to finish. County weren’t great but they wanted it more than we did.

Apart from KP and possibly Preston, the other outfield players were gutless and guileless. Our loanees didn’t turn up and, not for the first time, CJ was a wasted shirt.

Surely, we can’t play that badly again?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:We were utter garbage from start to finish. County weren’t great but they wanted it more than we did.

Apart from KP and possibly Preston, the other outfield players were gutless and guileless. Our loanees didn’t turn up and, not for the first time, CJ was a wasted shirt.

we can't afford to play like that again if we want to go up automatically
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:We were utter garbage from start to finish. County weren’t great but they wanted it more than we did.

we can't afford to play like that again if we want to go up automatically

Based on today’s performance we don’t DESERVE promotion
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

What a ridiculous comment. To imply he took it easy because he was playing an old club and then compound it by saying the rest followed suit. We lost, it happens. Time to move on.

Okay then, suppose it will be fine if players come out and say I hope Forest Green go up then this week? It was soft. I don’t think Bish personally would have taken it lightly as he is professional but I don’t think it bodes well coming out with stuff like that before a derby. Fine if you disagree, I’d just have liked to have seen a bit more ruthlessness both before, and during the game because it was poor.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:05 pm

I think that today was genuinely the worst performance by a Mansfield side I've ever seen. A complete humiliation from more or less the first minute.

Hamilton is coming in for a lot of stick. However, I don't think he was any worse than anyone else (perhaps the expectations are higher with him). Particular low lights for me were:

Jones - Doesn't seem capable of playing the attacking fullback role; held on to the ball for too long, consistently ran into trouble and only delivered one cross of note. In his post-match interview, DF said that we didn't get the ball to Jones enough. I'd disagree. He saw lots of the ball in the first-half but whenever Jones got on the ball, attacks inevitably died and we lost the little momentum we had. All this said, today was his first start so maybe he deserves some slack.

Walker - Apart from his shot in the first minute, he completely anonymous. Once he was moved out of position - to the right - to accommodate Ajose, he was taken out of the game entirely. Flitcroft might as well have taken him off at that point.

Ajose - Totally ineffective. To be fair to him, our style of play didn't suit him. Why on Earth we were persisting with these dreadful long balls is beyond me, especially once Ajose - easily the smallest man on the pitch - was the target of those balls.

The players let everyone associated with the club down today. I have a lot of time for Flitcroft but found his tactics baffling today. Our best run this season came when Flitcroft could keep the team and tactics pretty consistent. Recent games have shown that, when he does have to change things and find alternative ways to win, he's often found wanting. For his tactics and failure to motivate the team he should take a significant portion of the blame today. If he fails to get us up this season he'll have bottled it twice, in consistent seasons, with the two most expensively assembled squads we've ever had. He needs to get this right.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:09 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:I think that today was genuinely the worst performance by a Mansfield side I've ever seen. A complete humiliation from more or less the first minute.

Hamilton is coming in for a lot of stick. However, I don't think he was any worse than anyone else (perhaps the expectations are higher with him). Particular low lights for me were:

Jones - Doesn't seem capable of playing the attacking fullback role; held on to the ball for too long, consistently ran into trouble and only delivered one cross of note. In his post-match interview, DF said that we didn't get the ball to Jones enough. I'd disagree. He saw lots of the ball in the first-half but whenever Jones got on the ball, attacks inevitably died and we lost the little momentum we had. All this said, today was his first start so maybe he deserves some slack.

Walker - Apart from his shot in the first minute, he completely anonymous. Once he was moved out of position - to the right - to accommodate Ajose, he was taken out of the game entirely. Flitcroft might as well have taken him off at that point.

Ajose - Totally ineffective. To be fair to him, our style of play didn't suit him. Why on Earth we were persisting with these dreadful long balls is beyond me, especially once Ajose - easily the smallest man on the pitch - was the target of those balls.

The players let everyone associated with the club down today. I have a lot of time for Flitcroft but found his tactics baffling today. Our best run this season came when Flitcroft could keep the team and tactics pretty consistent. Recent games have shown that, when he does have to change things and find alternative ways to win, he's often found wanting. For his tactics and failure to motivate the team he should take a significant portion of the blame today. If he fails to get us up this season he'll have bottled it twice, in consistent seasons, with the two most expensively assembled squads we've ever had. He needs to get this right.

You hit the nail in the week, since Grant came in he's tweaked the formation and we are now over run in midfield as Grant thinks he's the third attacker and doesn't work back.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:28 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Okay then, suppose it will be fine if players come out and say I hope Forest Green go up then this week? It was soft. I don’t think Bish personally would have taken it lightly as he is professional but I don’t think it bodes well coming out with stuff like that before a derby. Fine if you disagree, I’d just have liked to have seen a bit more ruthlessness both before, and during the game because it was poor.

It was a personal comment about a club he has played many games for. You are reading into it too much.

It’s like saying because of Roses nasty injury last week , the players were less committed.

We were awful, it happens.

We need to keep positive and move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm

We got battered by notts ok if we go up its just a result in a long season ,its not the end of the world
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Sammythestag wrote:A county mate of mine is so confident he has just bet me £100 that county will win, insisting he will even pay out if its a draw! I'm not sure if its confidence or if he's just broken.

I'm gutted for you, things go from bad to worse eh! Not only have we lost but you're £100 lighter in the wallet area.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Spunkcandy
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Gutless doesn't even come close to describing that. Pathetic, more like. Not one player able to raise his game, even though it was a local derby and they had the equivalent of a home crowd behind them. Disappointment is an occupational hazard following this team, but that took it to another level.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby sw19stag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Spot on Al.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Bad result and beating them as a derby game and old rivals was not as important as the points
Let's hope we are not going to slip into play off lottery as doubt in the pressure games we going to be any good after this one
I fear it's going to get tough going for a few games now and I wish nobody had touted CJ for bigger things as today he was none league at best
Any thing less than wins next few games will see us play off bound
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:46 pm

A very very disappointing and poor game by the Stags. County closed us down well and forced us into playing far too many long balls. We never got control of the midfield or got our passing game going. Craig Mackail-Smith took his chance well but I think Jacob Mellis should have cleared the ball or blocked the shot. Ben Turner looked very rusty on the left hand side of the defence and County got past him and Mal Benning a few times to put crosses in. It was no surprise that Turner was subbed at half time. Jacob Mellis, Jorge Grant, CJ Hamilton and Gethin Jones never really got involved in the game and Tyler Walker had no service up front. Jorge Grant went missing like he did for County in the two derbies last season.

The 2nd half was a masterclass in time wasting by Notts County which Gareth Ainsworth would have been proud of. Lee Mason helped them whenever he could by blowing up for the slightest contact on a County player. The ball was probably only in play for around 10 minutes in the 2nd half and there should have been a lot more than 4 minutes added time. It was a scrappy ugly win by County but probably the type of performance that will help to save them.

It was a massive wake up call for the Stags before the big game against FGR at home next week. We need to go back to basics and concentrate on what has worked well for us so far this season. We need to resist the temptation to make changes for changes sake. Unfortunately we have had to make changes due to injuries and suspensions.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:01 am

We just can't seem to beat bottom of the table teams .
Very disappointing trait
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:22 am

Flitcroft playing Turner just to carry on his favourite system was almost like a rookie mistake, he was clearly not close to being ready for that game.

It’s all about bouncing back now, this team have got to show they are true promotion candidates in the next couple of games.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 am

What was worrying yesterday was that Ben Turner did not look like he could play in a three at the back on the left (perhaps due to lack of fitness) and Gethin Jones did not look like he could be effective as a right wing back but there were too many players who did not turn up yesterday. They ought to be having a whip round to pay for some free coaches for supporters to Port Vale as compensation.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum