{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Big yella » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:00 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
part time pete wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Why shouldn’t they be in the cup? Not the Welsh thing again!!!

The situation hasn’t changed. They’re a foreign nation club. They have a separate league and a separate FA.

They were elected into the FL in 1920, that’s a long time Bellwhiff.


No they wern’t. They were formed in 1989 when they joined the Hellenic League (Step 4 in those days) and played in Moreton in Marsh in Gloucestershire.

Who said anything about their formation!!!

So pray tell how they were elected into the FL in 1920, if they weren’t formed until 1989?
Flip, flop & fly, Mansfield till I die.
User avatar
Big yella
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4010
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Old club went bust and new one reformed. It's technically a different club, but.most of us know it isn't.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Why do you say it isn’t a new club.

When technically it is.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm

part time pete wrote:Why do you say it isn’t a new club.

When technically it is.


If the same thing happened to us we would rightly still be proud of our record and would still consider it the same club. The fact it went bust and had to reform under a very slightly different name only makes it a different club technically and legally but not emotionally, which when supporting a football club is what really counts - I doubt current AFC Wimbledon fans think it was a different club that won the FA Cup!
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby StagsForLIFE » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:Why do you say it isn’t a new club.

When technically it is.


If the same thing happened to us we would rightly still be proud of our record and would still consider it the same club. The fact it went bust and had to reform under a very slightly different name only makes it a different club technically and legally but not emotionally, which when supporting a football club is what really counts - I doubt current AFC Wimbledon fans think it was a different club that won the FA Cup!

This.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Mansfield

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 pm

MK Dons is the same club as the old Wimbledon club. They just moved grounds and then changed their name.

AFC Wimbledon is a purely new club that even started a season before MK Dons changed its name from Wimbledon to MK Dons.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:00 pm

part time pete wrote:MK Dons is the same club as the old Wimbledon club. They just moved grounds and then changed their name.

AFC Wimbledon is a purely new club that even started a season before MK Dons changed its name from Wimbledon to MK Dons.


Again, factually correct, the FA Cup win, however, sits with AFC Wimbledon. They were given it back by MK, they realised it wasn't theirs, as we all do.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby County1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 pm

From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).
County1
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 am

County1 wrote:From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).

:thumbup:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19705
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 am

County1 wrote:From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).

Exactly. After Saturday good luck for the rest of the season and hope you do well against Man City.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2807
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Showers forecast tonight in Newport and more rain tomorrow ..
User avatar
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Showers forecast tonight in Newport and more rain tomorrow ..


Raining a couple of hours tonight then dry until after the game has kicked off.

Since when has rain in Wales come as a surprise to some people?
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

County1 wrote:From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).

Why aren’t you in the LoW ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13359
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
County1 wrote:From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).

Why aren’t you in the LoW ?


Prolly because they’d piss it and fancied a challenge.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Newport v Boro tonight on BT

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
County1 wrote:From the perspective of all County fans who were around at that time, we are the same club. Same colours, same fans, same hopes and ambitions (to return to the Football League). Our badge reflects this with the two dates, 1912 and 1989. Bit of a connection with Mansfield lately given our joint Conference promotion in 2013. As for Saturday, League has certainly taken a back seat to Cup which has been crucial to securing our future financially. Rather than aim to scrape into play offs, the logical aim is to plan for a promotion push next season with improved finances. Fully expect you guys to be in League One next season, which should mean one less away defeat for us. All the best (Saturday apart!).

Why aren’t you in the LoW ?


Prolly because they’d piss it and fancied a challenge.

Think Swansea and Cardiff might have thoughts on that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13359
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sw19stag and 17 guests