{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hilton Hotel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hilton Hotel

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:38 pm

I think this is more to do with local politics than national. That narrow minded attitude to thinking that the towns folk couldn't aspire to be more than pit/military/factory fodder has infected every council far as long as I can remember.
It didn't seem to matter if they were Labour or Indy (Tory), successive regimes have sold their town short. Sure the town got dealt a bad hand by national policies, but the've never seemed proactive in dealing with it.

Ben is a banana IMO, but then so was Meale. He's great at photo ops but delivers next to nothing. Now he's sitting on a 16,000 majority I suspect he'll become as idle as Meale too.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Ben Bradley is a complete an utter wazzack and I told him what I thought of him and his voting history in the House when I saw him at field mill.

Full of hot air.

Well.

Fortunately for the rest of the world, my opinion and your opinion don't really count for anything. Unfortunately his does.

To be clear, I didn't abuse or swear at him. Just called him out on his Brexit voting history: voted to remain, then became a staunch Leave campaigner the next day because his constituents did. Hardly principled.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Sneag wrote:I think this is more to do with local politics than national. That narrow minded attitude to thinking that the towns folk couldn't aspire to be more than pit/military/factory fodder has infected every council far as long as I can remember.
It didn't seem to matter if they were Labour or Indy (Tory), successive regimes have sold their town short. Sure the town got dealt a bad hand by national policies, but the've never seemed proactive in dealing with it.

Ben is a banana IMO, but then so was Meale. He's great at photo ops but delivers next to nothing. Now he's sitting on a 16,000 majority I suspect he'll become as idle as Meale too.

I think you’re selling joining the military short.

I joined the Royal Signals as a Systems Engineer. My cousin Libby joined the RAF as a jet engine engineer working on Tornados.

It’s not all living in a trench and marching.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:00 pm

arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:02 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:I think this is more to do with local politics than national. That narrow minded attitude to thinking that the towns folk couldn't aspire to be more than pit/military/factory fodder has infected every council far as long as I can remember.

I joined the Royal Signals as a Systems Engineer. My cousin Libby joined the RAF as a jet engine engineer working on Tornados.

I don't mean it like that Belly, but as we both said at 16 we both had a choice of military or pit. You could learn trades in both and in terms of life after service the military certainly offered better options.

The class of 2019 don't have the pit option & the military is a fraction of the size it was 40 years ago. Kids now seem to be limited to order picking or call centres if they aren't academically minded. The ones that are, go off to uni and don't come back.

Which brings us back to 10pm last night. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:09 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I don't mean it like that Belly, but as we both said at 16 we both had a choice of military or pit. You could learn trades in both and in terms of life after service the military certainly offered better options.

The class of 2019 don't have the pit option & the military is a fraction of the size it was 40 years ago. Kids now seem to be limited to order picking or call centres if they aren't academically minded. The ones that are, go off to uni and don't come back.

What happened then?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

What happened then?

This whole conversation.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Still confused.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:18 pm

I hope we build the hotel at the ground.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Still confused.

Just felt I was repeating myself is all.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:00 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I hope we build the hotel at the ground.

Back on topic finally :lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Sneag wrote:

Ah.

PS. Brexit was 11. Not 10.

;)

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:46 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Ah.

PS. Brexit was 11. Not 10.

;)

My post was 10. Then I turned the clocks back to 1953 at 11.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 pm

My view is, there is an opportunity for anyone and everyone to do well whilst in education, some need more support than others.
In general, I say again to avoid those who have achieved with minimal support, parents need to be involved helping their offspring to learn and dare I say it, have conversations and give guidance. If that doesn't happen the spiral to nothingness continues.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Is this an opportunity to seed fund either the Hotel or the Bishop Street Stand redevelopment. Not only would it provide funds, but also give fans a sense of ownership. build more bridges with the community etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-51412570

I know I would put some money in upfront. Options could run from £50-£1k. The more you put in, the more substantial 'dividends' (benefits package) you receive as a 'shareholder'. In addition, there could be corporate packages as well with higher thresholds that entitle company staff to dividends, advertising etc.

If it hurried up the redevelopment of the horrible Bishop Street Stand and the Hotel, then I would love to invest. I'm sure a fer hundred £k could be generated from this and it would cover professional fees for projects of this scale.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:10 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Is this an opportunity to seed fund either the Hotel or the Bishop Street Stand redevelopment. Not only would it provide funds, but also give fans a sense of ownership. build more bridges with the community etc.

I know I would put some money in upfront. Options could run from £50-£1k. The more you put in, the more substantial 'dividends' (benefits package) you receive as a 'shareholder'. In addition, there could be corporate packages as well with higher thresholds that entitle company staff to dividends, advertising etc.

If it hurried up the redevelopment of the horrible Bishop Street Stand and the Hotel, then I would love to invest. I'm sure a fer hundred £k could be generated from this and it would cover professional fees for projects of this scale.

Good idea , I would love to see the Bishop Street redeveloped , some of us have fond memories of being sat in there as kids
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:05 pm

My better half lives in Camborne,Cornwall.It was the centre of their mining industry,and has the same social and economic problems as Mansfield.Last year a new Travelodge opened to compliment the Holiday Inn, Wetherspoons hotel and one run by St Austells brewery already in the town.All are doing well and Camborne is not on the tourist trail.Bring them on in Mansfield.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 pm

w12stag wrote:My better half lives in Camborne,Cornwall.It was the centre of their mining industry,and has the same social and economic problems as Mansfield.Last year a new Travelodge opened to compliment the Holiday Inn, Wetherspoons hotel and one run by St Austells brewery already in the town.All are doing well and Camborne is not on the tourist trail.Bring them on in Mansfield.

Solution:

Move Mansfield to Cornwall.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Amberheart wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Is this an opportunity to seed fund either the Hotel or the Bishop Street Stand redevelopment. Not only would it provide funds, but also give fans a sense of ownership. build more bridges with the community etc.

Good idea , I would love to see the Bishop Street redeveloped , some of us have fond memories of being sat in there as kids

How much would something like Matlock's Twigg Stand cost?

Run from the scoreboard to the QLE would add about 1,000 seats.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Sneag wrote:
Amberheart wrote:

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:13 pm

w12stag wrote:My better half lives in Camborne,Cornwall.It was the centre of their mining industry,and has the same social and economic problems as Mansfield.Last year a new Travelodge opened to compliment the Holiday Inn, Wetherspoons hotel and one run by St Austells brewery already in the town.All are doing well and Camborne is not on the tourist trail.Bring them on in Mansfield.

Cornwall has a vibrant tourism industry (and rightly so) ... but Mansfield (as with places like Scunthorpe, Doncaster & Sheffield for example) will never have the Cornish attraction. We need to be realistic. Either build the hotel - or my preferred option - rebuild the Bishop St. stand. Which was the preferred option of all Stags fans on several forums (and rightly so). It's time to do the Bishop!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:17 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Amberheart wrote:

:)

Even this would look 100 times better than what we have now - but we need to go to the next level: a small stand that runs the length of the pitch: 5-10 rows.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Bishop Street looks crap but this looks Micky Mouse

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Bishop Street looks crap but this looks Micky Mouse

That one does, because it's tiny, it only runs aboit a quarter of the length of the pitch. It's metal framed and looks like a pre fabricated construction.

What we currently have is more Goofy than Mickey Mouse. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 pm

V.P.has obviously never been to Cambourne.Mobility scooters, everybody related to each other.Along with it's neighbour Redruth it's one of the most deprived areas not only in Cornwall but in the U.K.Imagine the worst place around Mansfield,your choice,and you get the picture
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum