{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hilton Hotel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hilton Hotel

Postby Bridgford Stag » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Imo I would prefer the BS to be developed given the choice rather that an incongruous hotel part of the ground which unless incorporated fully into FM could/would be a 'dead' area? Tbf I understand that Mansfield would benefit from a (budget) hotel to be built but I'm not sure that more than one is financially a goer. I would suspect that a more central location would be favourite ie the Gala bingo site looks odds on

However..

..any seat or even standings in the BS would be facing into the sun (should it come out) and not really be that good to view the game?
..do home or away supporters fill the BS (begs the question whether Staggies reclaim the North Stand)?
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm led to believe that hotels of this branding at similar venues normally fetch a rent of plus £300k a year.

It's OK saying we should have the Bishop Street development but we don't even have any plans for it yet compared to the hotel. I'd be annoyed if we end up binning the hotel off so we can only develop the bs into a thousand seat stand for extra away fans.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:34 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:The BS would be good for home fans - the problem being with more away fans you wonder if our "friends" at SAG would charge us more for the extra fans and we just wouldn't make anything extra from it in the first place.

If the BS is just going to be seats there really isn't any need for it anytime soon - only if it's got boxes would it be worth while.

I'd be amazed if they built a new stand that didn't include boxes, it's something the ground is very much lacking and has the potential to bring in decent revenue.

Aye, the Luton model would work (not often I say that!) with their stand down the side.

That Luton Stand is pee poor.

Aye, it's not great but we're obviously going to be limited with what we can do given the space on that side of the ground - I can't see there being much more we could do than that
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:35 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I'm led to believe that hotels of this branding at similar venues normally fetch a rent of plus £300k a year.

It's OK saying we should have the Bishop Street development but we don't even have any plans for it yet compared to the hotel. I'd be annoyed if we end up binning the hotel off so we can only develop the bs into a thousand seat stand for extra away fans.

This.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Been discussed many times before, but as it stands , thanks to the Count of Culver , there just isn't the space on that side, particularly at the "scoreboard end " to do anything other than something very small, and no bigger than the greenhouses at the worlds biggest club .
The Radfords are going to have to purchase a few houses to do anything in keeping size wise with the rest of the ground .
Id prefer for them to wait and do it properly .
The absolute ideal would be to build the hotel into that stand . It's closest to the town as well . That would require major cooperation and planning from MDC . Don't hold your breath .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:54 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I'm led to believe that hotels of this branding at similar venues normally fetch a rent of plus £300k a year.

What makes you think they would bin it off? The Radford's have expressed interest in developing both. Let's not forget that the final H*slam payment isn't due until next month. That should free some resources up. Hotel or stand, whatever comes first, you can bet your last quid that the Radford's will do it properly.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Can't comment of your rent figure MT. Would only be viable if occupancy rates for a hotel was profitable? If it was to be then brilliant.

Just an aside... is there a market for people to come to Mansfield to stay for a few days? I'm sure there are those forecasters who reckon there is a market for one (not two?) hotels.

Whenever there are announcements of shop closures nationally I do fear that Mansfield is high on the list to bear the brunt so I'm not sure who the punters we are aiming at.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Bridgford Stag wrote:

Can't comment of your rent figure MT. Would only be viable if occupancy rates for a hotel was profitable? If it was to be then brilliant.

Just an aside... is there a market for people to come to Mansfield to stay for a few days? I'm sure there are those forecasters who reckon there is a market for one (not two?) hotels.

Whenever there are announcements of shop closures nationally I do fear that Mansfield is high on the list to bear the brunt so I'm not sure who the punters we are aiming at.

There’s definitely a market. ever been up to the Derbyshire hotel on a mIdweek night full up of businessmen and women from all over the place. The company I work for have ten people from out of town staying over in hotels each week always complaining they can’t get in at the Derbyshire so now have to try red brick house, Sutton travelodge and such. These people hate stayimg I anything they deem lesser than the Derbyshire which is why I up chained hotel at the stags ground would be a winner. It’s not the people coming to sight see or stay over on nights out it’s the hundreds of people visiting businesses and the business parks in Mansfield and Ashfield which will make the hotel work.

My only concern is that the FM hotel would be rivalled by the old bus station one and to me who ever builds it first wins as IMO the other competitor will pull out.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:00 am

Looks like Travelodge have stolen a march on the Radfords.

https://www.chad.co.uk/business/opening ... bs-1376465

Missed the opportunity?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:16 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Looks like Travelodge have stolen a march on the Radfords.

https://www.chad.co.uk/business/opening ... bs-1376465

Missed the opportunity?

knocking it up quite quickly from when work started too.To be honest, its excellent for the town whether is MTFC hotel or travelodge or any other hotel chain
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 am

The travelodge will be a positive for the town. Not the same market as a Hilton (Hampton) though and the Radford's were aware it was being built when they put forward their own proposals.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Maldon Stag » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:07 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Does anyone know what the latest is with this ?

Seems to have gone awfully quiet.

With a Travelodge bring built not "half a mile away from the ground," there won't be a need for a Hilton.
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am

Until the club gets promoted nothing, either hotel or Bishop St stand will be built or replaced.

Everything depends on viability and cost.

Not going to happen anytime soon and if three years pass since planning permission lapses the club will have to gain permission again.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

88BenM wrote:

What makes you think they would bin it off? The Radford's have expressed interest in developing both. Let's not forget that the final H*slam payment isn't due until next month. That should free some resources up. Hotel or stand, whatever comes first, you can bet your last quid that the Radford's will do it properly.

The last payment was last March I believe.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:43 am

The question should be why would Hilton want to build a Hotel in Mansfield ?? It’s like building a Waitrose in Moss Side . We have no direct train link to major cities to attract business we are fast becoming the warehouse hub of the country with the poor pay that goes with it .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am

Billy the fish wrote:The question should be why would Hilton want to build a Hotel in Mansfield ?? It’s like building a Waitrose in Moss Side . We have no direct train link to major cities to attract business we are fast becoming the warehouse hub of the country with the poor pay that goes with it .

this whole cannot attract buisness cracks me up everytime someones says this. I mean this respectfully, but open your eyes to Mansfield and what is around it. There are buinesses new and old all over the place. A brand new amazon opening. 3 or 4 buisness parks. Many people who i work for have to stay up near junction 28 or chesterfield....... i work in near the ground. Thats just one example
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:36 am

Billy the fish wrote:The question should be why would Hilton want to build a Hotel in Mansfield ?? It’s like building a Waitrose in Moss Side . We have no direct train link to major cities to attract business we are fast becoming the warehouse hub of the country with the poor pay that goes with it .

Billy get out of town more, take a look at Rotherham, Bletchley, Luton, Aylesbury to name but a few.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:48 pm

The One wrote:

Billy get out of town more, take a look at Rotherham, Bletchley, Luton, Aylesbury to name but a few.[/q

I work out of town Sheffield area get on the roads leading out of Mansfield at 5am and see the amount of folk leaving the area for decent better payed jobs elsewhere . Without this being moved to the politics forum Mansfield is hardly a thriving business hub .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Out of touch. The Hilton is a Double Tree isn’t it ?

And of course they should build it. The town is screaming out for decent hotel rooms.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
The One wrote:

Billy get out of town more, take a look at Rotherham, Bletchley, Luton, Aylesbury to name but a few.[/q

I work out of town Sheffield area get on the roads leading out of Mansfield at 5am and see the amount of folk leaving the area for decent better payed jobs elsewhere . Without this being moved to the politics forum Mansfield is hardly a thriving business hub .

Have you stopped to think that building infrastructure like this will encourage inward investment into the town ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 pm

From the sounds of things billy the fish seems to think there’s no company’s in and around Mansfield which trade on a national and international level.

Everyone works out of town Mansfield’s a complete ghost town in the day apart from the 30,000 doleys :roll: :lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

And of course they should build it. The town is screaming out for decent hotel rooms.

Agreed. Some people might want to spend a bit of money & stay in a bit more 'luxury' than a Travelodge. The Doubletree at Hilton Hotel at Stadium MK is always busy especially on match days.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Agreed. Some people might want to spend a bit of money & stay in a bit more 'luxury' than a Travelodge. The Doubletree at Hilton Hotel at Stadium MK is always busy especially on match days.

It was a Hampton, but still same principle.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:32 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

It was a Hampton, but still same principle.

What was?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Not a double tree, its Hampton. Meant to reply to Bellwiff
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum