{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The ‘we hate Nottingham forest chant’

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The ‘we hate Nottingham forest chant’

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

jeevesthestag wrote:Just at my son's under 6s football session in Newark. Two forest youth players have come along. Took one look at my son's Stags shirt and said 'unlucky'!

As part of his sports science course at West Notts, my nephew did coaching with Forest at various schools in the area. This is 20 years ago, but at the time they were encouraged to tell the kids that they were Forest 'players'.

He was always paid late, and also was given a rollocking & threatened with the sack when I picked him up at Ashfield Comp prior to an away game & he put on a Stags shirt while the kids & parents were still around.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: The ‘we hate Nottingham forest chant’

Postby Barrel of the Best » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I've been a Forest fan for 40 years and always watched the Stags as well when I could.

The chant reminds me of Liverpool because they always used to sing it during the 1980's.
It doesn't offend me either as I can understand why some Stags fans would dislike Forest.
I even joined in once much to everyone's amusement :lol:

The background isn't purely to do with the Clough years as some make out. My parents were Forest fans from the Johnny Carey era in the 60's. They had a good side with the likes of Ian Storey-Moore, Joe Baker etc.
I was taken to games from an early age, as we all know you don't get much choice who you support when your parents follow a team.
I actually liked Arsenal because they beat Man Utd in the FA Cup final but my old man soon put a stop to that :lol:

Over the years some Stags fans have come to Forest games and vice versa and still do now.
I've always enjoyed it and have took some friendly stick at times.

The vast majority of Forest fans want Mansfield to do well, there are some knobs like there is at every club but on the whole most are decent fans.
Forest generally didn't have any dislike against County but they are such an embittered bunch even after helping them during troubled times, that is now starting to change.

Anyway, I'll be there on Saturday and it should be a cracking game! :)
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum