{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lincoln (H) on Sky, moved to Mon 18th March

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lincoln (H) on Sky, moved to Mon 18th March

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:53 pm

stagshead wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Don't give your money to sky. Stream the game.

So you’re advocating illegality. Nice.

But how illegal are they when all the UK betting sites advertise on them surely they are breaking the law as well.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m not talking about betting sites and I certainly won’t be defending them.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Don't give your money to sky. Stream the game.

So you’re advocating illegality. Nice.

I'd advocate it, absolutely.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby stagshead » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I am not a lawyer or know the law but I suspect there is a difference between streaming and downloading/selling and maybe the law has not caught up.

This is from https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/ ... es-online/

Will I be prosecuted for watching football matches online in this way?
It is unlikely that the football authorities would pursue cases against individuals who watch games in this manner, with the more desirable avenue to bring claims directly against the file sharing sites through the ISPs. Indeed, in 2014, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that internet users who watch copyrighted material online aren’t breaking the law by doing so. However, despite the fact that a claim may not be brought against you, participating in such a site leaves your computer open to viruses and may have adverse effects on the very sport which you wish to watch.

The 2 sites that I use have been going for years and used by thousands and as I have said previously use UK based advertising to fund themselves. This implies to me that they are not illegal but just supplying a legitimate need otherwise they would have been closed down years ago.

I have had a case where a family member was contacted by their ISP for an illegal download of a film and was warned off but I have never been contacted by my ISP for streaming. Not that I do a lot of streaming, maybe once a week.

Edited due to spelling mistake...apologies.
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum