{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield game - Nathan Cameron red card rescinded

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Macclesfield game - Nathan Cameron red card rescinded

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:05 pm

a bit of a shame for us. He's been playing very well. Was on trial with us in pre-season of course.

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Macclesfield game - Nathan Cameron red card rescinded

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Thought it very harsh when I watched Quest. Cost Macc points against Cheltenham.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Spiritater wrote:Thought it very harsh when I watched Quest. Cost Macc points against Cheltenham.

yes I agree. Not surprising that it has been rescinded.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby StagsForLIFE » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Big player for them, makes saturdays game a lot harder.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Lick » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:13 am

Was this the guy who got injured while on trial, looked nasty didnt think he would be playing again
Lick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 am

I think if he had stayed fit we wouldn't have ended up with Sweeney on loan, and Sweeney is a lot better IMO. Decent player but on the way down rather than up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:24 am

Speaking of cards, Sweeney and Bishop both one away from a 2 game ban now? Probably be without both for Notts
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am

Richard Cranium wrote:Speaking of cards, Sweeney and Bishop both one away from a 2 game ban now? Probably be without both for Notts

If they've got any brains about them they just won't get booked.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 pm

When your game is tackling you are going to get booked.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm

daddycool wrote:When your game is tackling you are going to get booked.

How do they manage not to get a second yellow then?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Sweeney was booked early last night and managed to continue in his job without ever really being in danger of a 2nd. Bishop played his normal game with getting a foot stuck in and managed to avoid a booking.

I would sooner have Sweeney and Bish playing against FGR at home than I would do playing against Notts. We've got fringe players that would still be able to beat this years Notts side.

Does anybody know if their is a yellow card amnesty at this stage of the season? Or will they have to go the full campaign without another caution to avoid the 2 match ban?
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

What, nobody ever gets a second yellow :lol:

Daddycool is right, the last thing we want is either player shirking tackles for fear of being booked. You can mitigate things, as DF did last week by subbing Bishop, but if they get booked again its just the nature of their game. To say they are stupid if they pick up another booking is, well stupid.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Daddycool is right, the last thing we want is either player shirking tackles for fear of being booked. You can mitigate things, as DF did last week by subbing Bishop, but if they get booked again its just the nature of their game. To say they are stupid if they pick up another booking is, well stupid.

They haven't so far this season (for events on the pitch). As someone says above, they're perfectly capable of not getting a second booking once they've got a first, so they should be capable of not picking up the first. How is it stupid?

Nobody's asking them to shirk tackles, just don't foul anyone.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

They haven't so far this season (for events on the pitch). As someone says above, they're perfectly capable of not getting a second booking once they've got a first, so they should be capable of not picking up the first. How is it stupid?

Nobody's asking them to shirk tackles, just don't foul anyone.

:lol: Are you being serious? They might be told no silly cards (ie dissent, time wasting) but no way will they be told not to tackle and therefore there is always a risk of being beaten by a player and therefore committing a foul.

Still, you've given me a laugh on a crap day at work!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Of course there is a risk, but Bishop has done it 11 times this season and Sweeney has done it 9. You can tackle without it being a foul. Are you telling me they've gone through the rest of 11 and 9 games respectively without making another tackle? Give it a rest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Of course there is a risk, but Bishop has done it 11 times this season and Sweeney has done it 9. You can tackle without it being a foul. Are you telling me they've gone through the rest of 11 and 9 games respectively without making another tackle? Give it a rest.

Tell you what, why doesn't DF tell all his players never to foul, that way we will never concede a set piece. I wonder why no-one else has ever thought of that :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Of course there is a risk, but Bishop has done it 11 times this season and Sweeney has done it 9. You can tackle without it being a foul. Are you telling me they've gone through the rest of 11 and 9 games respectively without making another tackle? Give it a rest.

Tell you what, why doesn't DF tell all his players never to foul, that way we will never concede a set piece. I wonder why no-one else has ever thought of that :lol:

Because the ball could go out for a corner or a throw-in.... ;)

If you've ever played football you will know when you go into a challenge whether it's a risky one or not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Because the ball could go out for a corner or a throw-in.... ;)

If you've ever played football you will know when you go into a challenge whether it's a risky one or not.

I played for 30 years, was never any good though, too much fouling ;)

Bottom line is, the way Sweeney and Bishop play they are always likely to pick up bookings, I would not want them to change the way they play and nor, I suspect, would the manager. They will know themselves to try not to pick up a silly booking, but I'll be very surprised if both manage to avoid a ban.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:08 pm

88BenM wrote:

Sweeney was booked early last night and managed to continue in his job without ever really being in danger of a 2nd. Bishop played his normal game with getting a foot stuck in and managed to avoid a booking.

I would sooner have Sweeney and Bish playing against FGR at home than I would do playing against Notts. We've got fringe players that would still be able to beat this years Notts side.

Does anybody know if their is a yellow card amnesty at this stage of the season? Or will they have to go the full campaign without another caution to avoid the 2 match ban?

Cut off for 10 cautions in Football League is after 37 matches, so in our case it would be up to and including Crawley on 12th March.
We have had some silly bookings and some harsh bookings this season but seem to have cut out most of the ones we were getting in previous seasons for things like dissent, kicking the ball away and time wasting.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm

88BenM wrote:

Team need to have played 37 league games before it becomes 15 bookings before a three game ban.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Thing is, it depends on the ref. We have had those refs that book for the stupidest reason. We've seen players get booked for winning the ball. We've seen players get booked for a foul and the opponent dived

Then you get the classic mis-timed tackle.

I highly doubt players start a game thinking "I haven't had a yellow in a while. I'll make sure I get one today."

Stupid yellows are for dissent, time wasting, kicking the ball away etc
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum