{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Steve Evans SACKED!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Steve Evans SACKED!

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm

The only good thing that came out of his time here was £250,000 compensation for the club to appoint a decent manager who gives youth a chance
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The only redeeming feature that Evans had was that he was our manager, and therefore I had to bear him - other than that I didn't like anything about him. In no way was I proud that he was our manager. This wouldn't have changed even if he had stayed and got us promoted. I was sad when he left, but that was because it would have impacted our chances of going up, not because he'd gone. I got over it fairly quickly. His time is up.

Sums it up perfectly. When I heard he was in the frame I didn't want him. The only reason I was happy he was appointed was because the other rumoured name at the time was Dean Saunders !!
His only tactic was spend silly money to get a load of decent players and hope that somehow he found a winning formula amongst them. His attitude towards officials, players and fans absolutely stank. He was an embarrassment to our club and I am glad he has gone.
Ask any fans of any clubs that have come into contact with him, either as manager or opposition. Nobody likes him, nobody wants him as their manager, and every club he has managed are happy to see the back of him.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:22 pm

Nobody liked Evans' pitch side antics but I'll take a 4-0 win at Vale Park on Saturday :lol:

......or I'll take a draw and a 1-0 win at Crawley.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:03 am

Not sure where to put this so ill put it in here, I have just found this article about DF from 2003 when he was 29. Interesting read I thought:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footb ... hadow.html
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:01 pm

lifestags wrote:Not sure where to put this so ill put it in here, I have just found this article about DF from 2003 when he was 29. Interesting read I thought:

I agree very interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I don't know what "their Gaz" is doing now, but I'm sure DF is striving to be the best football manager he can.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
lifestags wrote:Not sure where to put this so ill put it in here, I have just found this article about DF from 2003 when he was 29. Interesting read I thought:

I don't know what "their Gaz" is doing now, but I'm sure DF is striving to be the best football manager he can.

Some on here think 'their Gaz' is our manager as quite often some put GF instead of DF. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm

Is it just me or does the title of this thread bring a smile to others every time they read it?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Is it just me or does the title of this thread bring a smile to others every time they read it?

:D
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Some on here think 'their Gaz' is our manager as quite often some put GF instead of DF. :lol:

Wiki says he's a director at Chorley FC, and was a successful manager there for 2 seasons.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 pm

At least Steve ‘promotion guaranteed’ Evans was consistent in his transfer dealings after he left us. Three appearances and then a four year ban for drugs offences. I presume Evans told the Posh chairman this lad was good with the ‘high’ balls into the box.

‘Yorwerth made three appearances for Peterborough, the last of which came in September, since joining Posh last July for an undisclosed fee.

Then Peterborough manager Steve Evans, sacked in January, said: 'There is absolutely no doubt that we have signed the best central defender from League Two.'

Quotes stolen from the Daily Mail but other newspapers are available. Apologies to readers of the Socialst Worker
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am

I rate DF better than Evans all day long, but one thing you can’t dispute is his ability to get players riled up for a big game - we always did well against rivals and in the big games where as we have lacked a bit this season. That performance against county under Evans? Not in a million years.

Other than that though it’s hard to give him one over DF, and although Evans touchline antics and general persona is awful I also enjoyed watching Mansfield during his regime although I’m enjoying it now too!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:03 am

Conker wrote:I rate DF better than Evans all day long, but one thing you can’t dispute is his ability to get players riled up for a big game - we always did well against rivals and in the big games where as we have lacked a bit this season. That performance against county under Evans? Not in a million years.

Other than that though it’s hard to give him one over DF, and although Evans touchline antics and general persona is awful I also enjoyed watching Mansfield during his regime although I’m enjoying it now too!

Evans dint exactly have them revved up for chesterfield at home 2-2 draw and outplayed all game.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Conker wrote:I rate DF better than Evans all day long, but one thing you can’t dispute is his ability to get players riled up for a big game - we always did well against rivals and in the big games where as we have lacked a bit this season. That performance against county under Evans? Not in a million years.

Evans dint exactly have them revved up for chesterfield at home 2-2 draw and outplayed all game.

Flitcroft wouldnt have sent Zander forward though, i can still remember Evans going mad shouting at him to go forward
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Article on Notts post... https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... st-2670208

Jason Cummings, A LOAN player, cost posh £250,000.... They'd spent 650K on loan players and D Mac said they'd invested heavily and fat man argued that they hadn't invested enough in the summer.

Responding to a question about why he sacked Steve Evans, MacAnthony said: “We invested heavily in the summer. He’d argue that we didn’t – that we sold loads of players.

“But the reality is we spent a fortune on facilities and players; agents’ fees, wages on players from Scotland, we spent a lot of money.

“The Jason Cummings deal alone cost us well over a quarter of a million, for a loan player.

“We had so many loan players it was doing my head in, particularly in January.”

Taking total costs into account, the Posh chief said about £650,000 had been spent on loan players this term.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Nimble Ens » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Live Q and A that D Mac did where the quotes from above have come from if anybody is interested. Anybody? Nope, didn't think so..
Nimble Ens
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 pm

just goes to show what a class act those pair are, so glad they left
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:24 pm

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Posh, they knew what they were getting with Evans.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57 pm

london amber stag wrote:I have no sympathy whatsoever for Posh, they knew what they were getting with Evans.
To be fair, so did we.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm

laneymtfc wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Flitcroft wouldnt have sent Zander forward though, i can still remember Evans going mad shouting at him to go forward

:roll:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag in Italy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm

A Good mate who is a Scunny fan emailed me today to say he is the frontrunner for the Managers job going there. At last we can say there is a Cu%t In Scunthorpe if he gets it.
Stag in Italy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby laneymtfc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
laneymtfc wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

:roll:

yeah good point, i suppose i cant really disagree with an eye roll
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 am

didn't flitcroft sent Sweeney up top against Crewe?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:didn't flitcroft sent Sweeney up top against Crewe?

Yes he did but don't let facts get in the way of a rant.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Big yella wrote:

Well the facts have never got in the way of your rants! So bravo for such honesty Big Yella! See you a week on Saturday for a pint.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:34 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Well the facts have never got in the way of your rants! So bravo for such honesty Big Yella! See you a week on Saturday for a pint.

I still stick by my statement that a referee can influence the score, do you and your fraternity of match arbitrators still think you don't. :D
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum