{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The 'special relationship'

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The 'special relationship'

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

It's clear now that we have a very good relationship with Forest. 3 of their best young products on loan gives us a great chance of going up, but what are the advantages for Forest?

- it's probably unlikely that any of these will go on to be first team regulars there, but them doing well with us helps boost their selling price.

- the relationship favours Forest if any of our players become good enough for the Championship. I. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a deal in place for CJ, either now or at the end of the season.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: The 'special relationship'

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

plus it will really piss county fans and Alan hardon off :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 pm

ParisStag wrote:It's clear now that we have a very good relationship with Forest. 3 of their best young products on loan gives us a great chance of going up, but what are the advantages for Forest?

- it's probably unlikely that any of these will go on to be first team regulars there, but them doing well with us helps boost their selling price.

- the relationship favours Forest if any of our players become good enough for the Championship. I. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a deal in place for CJ, either now or at the end of the season.

I've been saying for a long time we ought to get some of the Forest youngsters on loan . They have a good youth set up but so do we now. If our youngsters make the grade and then eventually play at a higher level why not Forest ? If our relationship continues they could always come back on loan if they find a higher League too difficult. Stags could be a feeder club if it pays to do so. What's the likelihood of CJ eventually going to Forest ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm

MOTG wrote:
ParisStag wrote:It's clear now that we have a very good relationship with Forest. 3 of their best young products on loan gives us a great chance of going up, but what are the advantages for Forest?

I've been saying for a long time we ought to get some of the Forest youngsters on loan . They have a good youth set up but so do we now. If our youngsters make the grade and then eventually play at a higher level why not Forest ? If our relationship continues they could always come back on loan if they find a higher League too difficult. Stags could be a feeder club if it pays to do so. What's the likelihood of CJ eventually going to Forest ?

Martin O’Neill’s player crèche
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:50 pm

I am delighted that we have a 'special relationship' with Forest. Nottingham Forest will always be a much bigger club than Mansfield Town, and us being a 'feeder club' to them can be mutually beneficial. Crewe had a similar relationship with Liverpool - and it benefited them enormously over two decades.

Forest have a great youth set-up, and we are now developing a good youth set up. There is no reason why we can't work together successfully for both parties, if we have a good relationship.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

It only needs reviewing when we get to the Championship.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Have Forest got a spare scoreboard?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm

[quote="EdwinstoweStag"]Have Forest got a spare scoreboard?[/quote]

One on loan Edders

That makes 3 scoreboards at this rate we can have one in every stand.......
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Have Forest got a spare scoreboard?

What about a stand?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm

I suspect they’ll be a bus full of Forest players arriving next season after six months with Roy Keane!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Am I the only one who finds it rather sad and I think detrimental to our future that we dont have a special relationship with our own youth team ?
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:16 pm

MOTG wrote:

Forest's feeder club. Yay. What a prospect. Just what I always wanted.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:18 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MOTG wrote:

Almost as bad as someone saying Yay.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm not into the idea of us being a feeder club any way shape or form. I don't mind a couple of loans here and there, but anything more than that and we lose our identity
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:24 pm

garlic wrote:Am I the only one who finds it rather sad and I think detrimental to our future that we dont have a special relationship with our own youth team ?

We had 3 youth teamers on the bench Saturday and one of them got a good half hour.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:28 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:I'm not into the idea of us being a feeder club any way shape or form. I don't mind a couple of loans here and there, but anything more than that and we lose our identity

I'm a bit uncomfortable having 6 loan players too, no matter where they are from, it's not really the key to long term success. However, from the position we are in and the fact we have a clear weakness in the final third, I can fully understand that to get the sort of quality you need in January, loan signings are probably the best short term bet.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Rob wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
MOTG wrote:

Almost as bad as someone saying Yay.

Rob, I don't know what your problem is, but I'll be sure to keep using very small words for you so it may continue. Yay!
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 pm

garlic wrote:Am I the only one who finds it rather sad and I think detrimental to our future that we dont have a special relationship with our own youth team ?

That’s a tad simplistic.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

That’s a tad simplistic.

How is it - please explain
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:52 pm

garlic wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

That’s a tad simplistic.

How is it - please explain

Don't know if it is simplistic but DF has said in interviews that he values the youth set up, he took the academy to Portugal, he has played a cup game finishing with 6 home grown players and is giving Jordan Graham increasing minutes on the pitch. DF has also said that he has a system in which he promotes the player of the week up a level each week. It seems to me that he does value our youth set up. We have gone from zero to a real investment in our youth in a short time but it is likely that DF doesn't consider that our youth players are good enough at the moment to give us promotion.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 pm

If reinstating the academy, getting them winning, investing in local youth football, giving them pro contracts and actually playing them in games isn't having a special relationship with our own youth teamers, I don't know what it.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 am

[quote="ParisStag"]If reinstating the academy, getting them winning, investing in local youth football, giving them pro contracts and actually playing them in games isn't having a special relationship with our own youth teamers, I don't know what it.[/quote

I think that's the big thing about our youth set up, it does have a knock on effect with kids and getting them interested, and is a real positive as a community excercise , just a bit of a shame we are currently going lock stock and almost the barrel for youngsters from other clubs.
Hopefully we can produce our own Grants and Walkers etc before too long.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gruff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

I think the link with Forest is certainly showing the Radford's intent to try to get promotion. We are picking up some quality players from them, and even in League 1 we could be able to maintain this type of relationship (hopefully).

On the side of caution though, they are allowing the players to come here because they like the set-up, the game time and the style of football we're playing. If we continue the way we are, then should Martin O'Neill full foul of the Forest Board (and who doesn't), then what better manager could they have than somebody who knows their younger players and develops them, than our own Mr Flitcroft. Although I believe they are more of a "want it now" club at the moment, so would they be prepared to build over time.

Personally, if he gets that opportunity (after getting us promotion), then good on him, as we would have an even stronger relationship with them going forward, as the club have stood by and fully supported him.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 am

If we end up getting first dibs on their good youngsters then the reciprocation might be that they get first refusal on our best players if we decide to sell them. Seems fair enough to me.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 am

Marky Mark wrote:If we end up getting first dibs on their good youngsters then the reciprocation might be that they get first refusal on our best players if we decide to sell them. Seems fair enough to me.

That is definition of a feeder club.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum