{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The 'special relationship'

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The 'special relationship'

Postby Conker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 am

Rob wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:I'm not into the idea of us being a feeder club any way shape or form. I don't mind a couple of loans here and there, but anything more than that and we lose our identity

I'm a bit uncomfortable having 6 loan players too, no matter where they are from, it's not really the key to long term success. However, from the position we are in and the fact we have a clear weakness in the final third, I can fully understand that to get the sort of quality you need in January, loan signings are probably the best short term bet.

To be fair we are probably limited due to FFP because we are still stuck with some players on big wages that don’t suit or fit in the squad anymore (Anderson and Butcher come to mind)

We need to shift a few if we can and hopefully get a defender in unless Mirfin is looking to be back soon.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 am

Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:I'm not into the idea of us being a feeder club any way shape or form. I don't mind a couple of loans here and there, but anything more than that and we lose our identity

I'm a bit uncomfortable having 6 loan players too, no matter where they are from, it's not really the key to long term success. However, from the position we are in and the fact we have a clear weakness in the final third, I can fully understand that to get the sort of quality you need in January, loan signings are probably the best short term bet.

To be fair we are probably limited due to FFP because we are still stuck with some players on big wages that don’t suit or fit in the squad anymore (Anderson and Butcher come to mind)

We need to shift a few if we can and hopefully get a defender in unless Mirfin is looking to be back soon.

FFP is a farce at League 2 level and much easier to get around than it is higher up the ladder.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 am

Marky Mark wrote:If we end up getting first dibs on their good youngsters then the reciprocation might be that they get first refusal on our best players if we decide to sell them. Seems fair enough to me.

Provided they don't expect to pay peanuts for our best players.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:

FFP is a farce at League 2 level and much easier to get around than it is higher up the ladder.

Yeah we get around it via sponsorship but our budget has definitely hit higher than anybody would have expected it to due to Evans, Anderson, etc.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:36 pm

What was Bournemouth blueprint moving up through the leagues even today their crowds don't hit 11k surely.they.used the loan system to better their league status..
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm

SINA STAG wrote:What was Bournemouth blueprint moving up through the leagues even today their crowds don't hit 11k surely.they.used the loan system to better their league status..

Just Russian money
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:If we end up getting first dibs on their good youngsters then the reciprocation might be that they get first refusal on our best players if we decide to sell them. Seems fair enough to me.

That is definition of a feeder club.

If it gets us up to the Championship then does anyone really care?
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Barrel of the Best » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Gruff wrote:I think the link with Forest is certainly showing the Radford's intent to try to get promotion. We are picking up some quality players from them, and even in League 1 we could be able to maintain this type of relationship (hopefully).

On the side of caution though, they are allowing the players to come here because they like the set-up, the game time and the style of football we're playing. If we continue the way we are, then should Martin O'Neill full foul of the Forest Board (and who doesn't), then what better manager could they have than somebody who knows their younger players and develops them, than our own Mr Flitcroft. Although I believe they are more of a "want it now" club at the moment, so would they be prepared to build over time.

Personally, if he gets that opportunity (after getting us promotion), then good on him, as we would have an even stronger relationship with them going forward, as the club have stood by and fully supported him.

Agree with this.

Mansfield is local as well so more convenient for a young lad going out on loan.

As for them taking Stags players, it's unlikely Forest will sign players from L1 or L2 at the moment and haven't done for a while.
Britt Assombalonga from Peterborough was one of the last ones and that was under Stuart Pearce.
They signed a guy from Chesterfield a few years back and he seems to be constantly out on loan.
There may be a few others but they usually target players from higher leagues or abroad.
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am

garlic wrote:Am I the only one who finds it rather sad and I think detrimental to our future that we dont have a special relationship with our own youth team ?

Yes! :P

Tbf bud, it's only the past few seasons we've started to become serious promotion contenders, plus build the training facilities and infrastructure to push on. We'd all love to see our youth play in the sacred Amber & Blue shirts, but without those previous aspects in place i think we'd always struggle to attract the next wave of players with potential and get the best out of them. If we continue this momentum of progression, then yes i'd agree, but i think it'll be a couple of years yet till we're at that point.

We'd all love to see Graham, Gibbens, etc regularly play, but currently it'd likely be at the cost of promotion imo. You either buy the finished article in and go after results, or sacrifice points while the youth gain the strength and experience to see if they make the grade. Personally, if we're ever in shouting distance of promotion or relegation then it's too risky. Even so, that's not to say the current crop won't come good eventually
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am

I think we’ve gone about youth in a sensible way to be honest, they’ve had game time earlier in the season when we were in cups as well as the league. If one of them had been truely sensational I’m sure they’d be in the team now.

Now the pressure is on for promotion we’ve invested in the squad via the Forest relationship, I’m sure if we weren’t we might not have pushed it so far so quickly and be playing more home grown talent. Instead we’ve done similar loaning the likes of gibbens out and hopefully we’ll give a few a chance when opportunities arise.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

SINA STAG wrote:What was Bournemouth blueprint moving up through the leagues even today their crowds don't hit 11k surely.they.used the loan system to better their league status..

Lincoln fans seem to think our current model is unsustainable and that either Radford will go bankrupt or we'll fall foul of some kind of rules. Some of the comments about Carolyn on there are just what you'd expect from neanderthal football fans too, but they really are the nastiest, most uninformed fans I've seen for a while. They can't understand why everyone hates them :lol: Here's a 5 page thread they've got, dedicated to their jealousy of our owners.

PS. Seeing their dejected faces when Mellis banged that volley in was almost as good as it gets (see Sir Mal Benning).

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/thre ... urs.89937/
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 am

ParisStag wrote:

Lincoln fans seem to think our current model is unsustainable and that either Radford will go bankrupt or we'll fall foul of some kind of rules. Some of the comments about Carolyn on there are just what you'd expect from neanderthal football fans too, but they really are the nastiest, most uninformed fans I've seen for a while. They can't understand why everyone hates them :lol: Here's a 5 page thread they've got, dedicated to their jealousy of our owners.

PS. Seeing their dejected faces when Mellis banged that volley in was almost as good as it gets (see Sir Mal Benning).

Can't stand them. They're absolutely obsessed with attendances. That obsession only started in the past couple of years ago though, I wonder why that is? Never has the chant of 'where were you when you were raspberries?' Been more relevant.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am

Stag95 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Can't stand them. They're absolutely obsessed with attendances. That obsession only started in the past couple of years ago though, I wonder why that is? Never has the chant of 'where were you when you were raspberries?' Been more relevant.

Quite. I really hope they bottle it this season and stay down in League 2. We'll see how sustainable their own cash splashing is once the gates dwindle and the FA Cup money runs out.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm

ParisStag wrote:

Bless those cheeky little gimps they really ought to stop chewing those lemon flavoured wasps!
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Same kind of focus than what Notts give us.

Yawn
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Stag95 wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Quite. I really hope they bottle it this season and stay down in League 2. We'll see how sustainable their own cash splashing is once the gates dwindle and the FA Cup money runs out.

Lincoln are averaging over 8000 and are still requiring investment - work that one out.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum