{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Welcome to Jordan Smith

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Welcome to Jordan Smith

Postby James » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I would have stuck with Conrad Logan yesterday as he has not made any errors that would justify dropping him and our record has been pretty good since his return in goal WWDWL. We were also already having to make one change due to Neal Bishop's suspension. Also, how many training sessions would Jordan Smith have had with our defence? However some fans were pointing out that perhaps it is part of the loan deal that he has to play.

Jordan looked nervy at the start yesterday and could have given away a penalty early on. Could he also have done better with Yeovil's goal as the ball was pretty close to him? I think some fans would be having a go at Conrad for letting the shot past him. Conrad is generally a good shot stopper. Jordan did make a good save in the 2nd half.

His long distance kicking is not as good as Conrad's. He was struggling to get the ball over the halfway line in the 1st half. If Conrad had been in goal then he would certainly have been booming a few balls into Yeovil's area late on. We probably would not have scored though.

He was struggling with long kicks in the first half due to the wind. Thought that was fairly obvious.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am

James wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I would have stuck with Conrad Logan yesterday as he has not made any errors that would justify dropping him and our record has been pretty good since his return in goal WWDWL. We were also already having to make one change due to Neal Bishop's suspension. Also, how many training sessions would Jordan Smith have had with our defence? However some fans were pointing out that perhaps it is part of the loan deal that he has to play.

Jordan looked nervy at the start yesterday and could have given away a penalty early on. Could he also have done better with Yeovil's goal as the ball was pretty close to him? I think some fans would be having a go at Conrad for letting the shot past him. Conrad is generally a good shot stopper. Jordan did make a good save in the 2nd half.

His long distance kicking is not as good as Conrad's. He was struggling to get the ball over the halfway line in the 1st half. If Conrad had been in goal then he would certainly have been booming a few balls into Yeovil's area late on. We probably would not have scored though.

He was struggling with long kicks in the first half due to the wind. Thought that was fairly obvious.

And the second half with the wind?

TTF makes a valid point Logan would have launched them well into the oppositions half after the break.

That said we should still have an open mind after only one game in windy conditions.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 am

Having watched the goal a few times over, I don't think he did a lot wrong.

The ball was struck firmly and low from only a few yards away meaning he couldn't get down quickly enough. I don't think many keepers would have saved it and if they did would be credited with a wonder save.

He made a point blank reaction save 2nd half and I think he may have got a finger tip to the shot which hit the bar (very hard to see on the video)

I feel it's harsh to blame the goal on Smith and from what I've seen he looks steady. We will have a better idea following the next few games but I'm happy so far.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Having watched the goal a few times over, I don't think he did a lot wrong.

The ball was struck firmly and low from only a few yards away meaning he couldn't get down quickly enough. I don't think many keepers would have saved it and if they did would be credited with a wonder save.

He made a point blank reaction save 2nd half and I think he may have got a finger tip to the shot which hit the bar (very hard to see on the video)

I feel it's harsh to blame the goal on Smith and from what I've seen he looks steady. We will have a better idea following the next few games but I'm happy so far.

I'd imagine if Conrad had been in goal yesterday the Conrad haters would've been saying 'poor positioning, a better keeper would've saved that'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:18 am

Amber Andy wrote:
James wrote:

And the second half with the wind?

TTF makes a valid point Logan would have launched them well into the oppositions half after the break.

That said we should still have an open mind after only one game in windy conditions.

Hoofing the ball long to our forward line is a pretty pointless exercise.

He had a shakey opening but did okay. I'm not a fan of Conrad's but I agree he should have kept his place yesterday, even if only to get Jordan more settled in the squad.

I don't like the idea of any loanee being signed on a 'must play' basis. That has the potential to be very damaging for the club.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am

The main problem is that the defence, particularly Pearce, don't trust Conrad. They look shaky as a result and I'm sure they have made overtones to Mr Flitcroft.

In those circumstances it is understandable to put Smith straight into the team. Add the fact that Yeovil are not the most prolific away team and its not such a gamble after all.

The fact that most of the outfield players had an off day can't be blamed on the decision to play Smith.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am

Agree Sandy.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:28 am

Smithscorner and Agent Smith are both running today if anyone fancied a coincidence bet on the horses!
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The main problem is that the defence, particularly Pearce, don't trust Conrad. They look shaky as a result and I'm sure they have made overtones to Mr Flitcroft.

In those circumstances it is understandable to put Smith straight into the team. Add the fact that Yeovil are not the most prolific away team and its not such a gamble after all.

The fact that most of the outfield players had an off day can't be blamed on the decision to play Smith.

Pearce has looked awful ever since Bobby got injured. He can’t keep blaming the keepers. He was pathetic in the first half yesterday and at one point tried to blame Smith. He needs to clear the ball first and be cocky after!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The main problem is that the defence, particularly Pearce, don't trust Conrad. They look shaky as a result and I'm sure they have made overtones to Mr Flitcroft.

Fact there are no easy games in this league.

Proof, we lost at home to Yeovil "not the most prolific away team".

As for Pearce not trusting Logan, after last weeks dithering by Pearce I suspect Logan hasn't much trust in Pearce.

Logan is decent at league two and Kean would have been a good back up.

I'm sure Jordan Smith will do a good job for us ( I don't know how much we are paying him ), but the money would be better spent on a goalscorer.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Stick Conrad back in then and loan Pearce out to Histon.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Nervy start as expected. New club, new surroundings etc.

Kicking was poor but so was the Yeovil keepers, wind did not help either keeper. No chance with the goal, struck hard and low and skimmed offf the turf. Great save 2nd half at point blank range.

Whether we had Bobby, Conrad or Jordan in goal yesterday it would have made no difference. As a team we were slow to start, allowed Yeovil to get into the game and got punished.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Nervy start as expected. New club, new surroundings etc.

Kicking was poor but so was the Yeovil keepers, wind did not help either keeper. No chance with the goal, struck hard and low and skimmed offf the turf. Great save 2nd half at point blank range.

Whether we had Bobby, Conrad or Jordan in goal yesterday it would have made no difference. As a team we were slow to start, allowed Yeovil to get into the game and got punished.

Well said
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 am

Amberheart wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:Nervy start as expected. New club, new surroundings etc.

Well said

And we missed our Player of the Season!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 am

Overall I think Smith will prove to be a better keeper than Conrad.He has played over 30 times in the Championship after all.Time will tell.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:44 am

[quote="EdwinstoweStag"][quote="Amberheart"][quote="Foresttownstag"]Nervy start as expected. New club, new surroundings etc.

Whether we had Bobby, Conrad or Jordan in goal yesterday it would have made no difference. As a team we were slow to start, allowed Yeovil to get into the game and got punished.[/quote]
Well said[/quote]

And we missed our Player of the Season![/quote]

FTS

You missed out the MOM was Baxter even if he went back at fulltime just as clean when he started the game
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum