{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sky Sports highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Sky Sports highlights

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Looked a penalty at the end. Preston had his arm out, pushing the striker away. Lucky.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 pm

ParisStag wrote:Looked a penalty at the end. Preston had his arm out, pushing the striker away. Lucky.

Was thinking the same, wouldnt have been much argument if it had been given.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Wow, looked like a penalty to me even if he went over easily. Still, it’s about time we had a bit of luck. Grimsby got away with it on quite a few of our chances.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Good goal.

Couple of missed chances again. Should be finishing them. When they click, some team is going to get a hiding

PS. Not a pen in a million years. Blatant dive
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Good goal.

Couple of missed chances again. Should be finishing them. When they click, some team is going to get a hiding

PS. Not a pen in a million years. Blatant dive

I agree, it looked like he threw himself to the ground live and does on the video. Both players were using their arms and it is a contact sport, though the way some referee you'd struggle to believe it. Does, of course, fall under the bracket of "seen them given" though.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Need a clinical striker, so many one on one's created lately and no guile to finish them whatsoever
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Looked a penalty at the end. Preston had his arm out, pushing the striker away. Lucky.

Was thinking the same, wouldnt have been much argument if it had been given.

players legs went together and there himself down before the push.... but they are given all the time. Very lucky
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Those penalties are given all the time, we’re lucky to get away with that, looked it to me.

Anyway it wasn’t and we can move on. We need to be more clinical though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:20 pm

You can see why Grimsby fans thought that was a penalty, and the only reason I think the referee waved it off was because of how he went down.

Preston also did the silly challenge against Bury for the penalty.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:20 pm

How did that 'best keeper in the league' not save that header. If Logan had let that in there would be uproar.

Reckon CJ and Tyler should both have scored.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:20 pm

How did that 'best keeper in the league' not save that header. If Logan had let that in there would be uproar.

You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:21 pm

Seen those given. Think we were a little lucky there. Preston has a habit of putting hands on his man and often pushing. We've conceded a few free kicks of late because of that.

Some great chances for us. We should have won that comfortably.

Great result. Great away record. Great form. Long may this continue
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm

That's never a penalty. Good call by the ref.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 pm

I don't think that was a penalty. Good call by the ref.
Well done Stags!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 am

Penalty could have been given by another ref... looked a push to me although he fell over easily but sometimes your luck is in and ours was.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 am

Put it this way, had that not been given for us at home late on folk would have been going mental.

One of those 50/50 decisions - as tilly mentions our luck was in yesterday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm

If that was outside of the box then it would have been a free kick. soft or not. 100% peno.

A peno is a foul inside the box and it shouldn't be looked at differently to any other foul anywhere on the pitch

Analysis of the game post-match is now ridiculous. Looking for contact etc
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:How did that 'best keeper in the league' not save that header. If Logan had let that in there would be uproar.

Was thinking the same re the header.
As good as it was I still cant work out how neither the keeper or the defender on the line failed to stop it
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm

adamstag wrote:Put it this way, had that not been given for us at home late on folk would have been going mental.

One of those 50/50 decisions - as tilly mentions our luck was in yesterday

Yep - but it tends to level out over time. We’ve certainly had our share of bad luck.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Chander Lear wrote:If that was outside of the box then it would have been a free kick. soft or not. 100% peno.

A peno is a foul inside the box and it shouldn't be looked at differently to any other foul anywhere on the pitch

There is a difference, if you give a penalty you are almost certainly awarding a goal, if you are giving a free kick, you almost certainly aren't. Therefore, referee's have to be more certain before giving a penalty than a free kick outside the area. If this was not the case then you could award a penalty at every corner kick as there is always pushing, usually by defenders and strikers so how do you decide - unless it is blatant (Kane in the WC) then you just let them get on with it! I have seen this incident numerous times now and the referee got it correct, it is a contact sport Chander and both players were at it. I think you watch too much TV football :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Rob wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:If that was outside of the box then it would have been a free kick. soft or not. 100% peno.

There is a difference, if you give a penalty you are almost certainly awarding a goal, if you are giving a free kick, you almost certainly aren't. Therefore, referee's have to be more certain before giving a penalty than a free kick outside the area. If this was not the case then you could award a penalty at every corner kick as there is always pushing, usually by defenders and strikers so how do you decide - unless it is blatant (Kane in the WC) then you just let them get on with it! I have seen this incident numerous times now and the referee got it correct, it is a contact sport Chander and both players were at it. I think you watch too much TV football :lol:

Fair enough point. It still just gripes me :lol: :lol: .

Quite the opposite actually. I barely watch football on TV these days. Stags, England on TV occasionally Southampton. Other than that I'm not too fussed.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Rob wrote:

Quite the opposite actually. I barely watch football on TV these days. Stags, England on TV occasionally Southampton. Other than that I'm not too fussed.

I agree with Rob, I think the referee got that right. Thank goodness he did.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Rob wrote:

You definitely hardly watch any football then. :lol:
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 am

For all those just tuning in we won 1-0
The One
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum