{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Head of Football Operations

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Head of Football Operations

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm not a big fan of Directors of Football or Head of Operations. Who takes the blame for bad results? The coach could blame bad recruitment and the DoF could blame bad management. It is also another salary on the books.

It does confirm my view that DF sees himself more as a coach than an identifier of new talent. I can also understand why a manager might need some help in identifying new recruits although I would prefer someone who was more of a scout than spending time negotiating with agents. I'm sure JR and Carolyn can negotiate with agents.

Greg Abbott played for Bradford City, Halifax and Hull City. He has also managed Thackley, Carlisle United and Bradford City. He was Carlisle's manager for nearly 5 years (W90 D73 L98). He is the guest of honour tomorrow at Brunton Park for Carlisle United v Macclesfield Town. Perhaps he can have a chat with Ashley Nadesan's agent.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Interesting article on Greg Abbott from the Carlisle News & Star. He's had a tough time fighting back from being diagnosed with prostate cancer.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/167 ... l-smiling/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm

I’d ignore what most Bantams fans say on a forum. It’s been tough for them since being in the Premier League with loads of ownership disputes and changes as well as at least two spells under administration.
Since being appointed head scout Greg Abbott has worked under 4 different managers and had various roles as well as a short spell off for prostate cancer treatment.
His role here seems more defined and looks like a support role to take some pressure off Flitcroft and develop recruitment and structure from the youth teams upwards.
I’m sure the Radfords know what they are doing with this appointment and Flitcroft seems in favour of it, at least on the face of it.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 pm

It's an extra pair of hands who takes on a broader role. Flitcroft will either give him a list of targets or will ask him to identify potential targets to sign. If our form dropped in January and Flitcroft said he was too busy making and taking calls we would all complain that something like this should have been set up.

We can't expect JR and CR to negotiate etc, they have young children to look after. We are flying with some good, young talent. I can only imagine how many phone calls he's taking. This frees up DF to focus on the squad we have. It would free him up to look at our u21 and u18 squads train and play matches.

I remember when Evan's was here it appeared JR and CR did the negotiating. Perhaps they want a move away and put the workload onto DF. It's easy to say "it's another wage" but it doesn't count towards SCMP and if the Radford's are happy to pay it (obviously they are) then that's their prerogative.

At the end of the day so long as everyone's role is clearly outlined and all parties are happy with the arrangement then I would expect no trouble.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Reading other fans views I'm worried about this. Seems like A Guy Branston type appointment.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:07 pm

What's the issue? Greg Abbott has been involved in the game for many years. He is somebody that Flitcroft has clearly identified to help him focus on the on-field efforts. I imagine it can be difficult when agents are calling you with different names, you're also navigating the side through the busy festive season and you're attempting to have a life outside of football, too.

I don't think for one minute that Abbott will be telling Flitcroft that he must sign player A, use tactic B or play player C. It will be very much a system of him letting Flitcroft know what players are available that fit the criteria that the management team are looking to incorporate into the squad. Another pair of eyes to also alert him to the availability of a certain player. Remember when Evans used to talk about having a list of players and Carolyn would wade through them, trying to negotiate a deal? Well I think that could be simplifying that process for her as well, so she knows who to spend time negotiating with as opposed to those players who are using our club to canvass for greater deals at other clubs.

Another positive step in the right direction in my eyes.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 pm

The issue, as far as I can tell, is the old horror stories about DOF buying their mates and/or promising X and the manager giving Y.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:45 pm

88BenM wrote:What's the issue? Greg Abbott has been involved in the game for many years. He is somebody that Flitcroft has clearly identified to help him focus on the on-field efforts. I imagine it can be difficult when agents are calling you with different names, you're also navigating the side through the busy festive season and you're attempting to have a life outside of football, too.

I don't think for one minute that Abbott will be telling Flitcroft that he must sign player A, use tactic B or play player C. It will be very much a system of him letting Flitcroft know what players are available that fit the criteria that the management team are looking to incorporate into the squad. Another pair of eyes to also alert him to the availability of a certain player. Remember when Evans used to talk about having a list of players and Carolyn would wade through them, trying to negotiate a deal? Well I think that could be simplifying that process for her as well, so she knows who to spend time negotiating with as opposed to those players who are using our club to canvass for greater deals at other clubs.

Another positive step in the right direction in my eyes.

I agree with all that. Let Flitcroft take the overall decision but Abbott can deal with the details and negotiating, which must take a fair chunk of a manager's week. Carolyn has probably got other things to deal with as well so can't always share the workload.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Feels more like a personal assistant than a Director of Football, I don't think Carolyn's role will change either. The only thing that seems likely to change is that Abbott will be doing the talking to agents, talking to scouts, building a portfolio of players that fit a brief that DF has given him, and going up and down the country to have a look, DF will then get personally involved at the end to give the final yay or nay and then Carolyn will deal with the negotiation side.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:The issue, as far as I can tell, is the old horror stories about DOF buying their mates and/or promising X and the manager giving Y.

You also need to keep a close eye on the relationship between managers/DoFs and agents. David Holdsworth always seemed to sign players who were represented by the same agent ;) There a lot of managers, players and agents who are just after cashing in for themselves and who will happily rip off the owners (and the fans!).

It's a brave decision by DF. Managers live or die by their signings. Hopefully Greg Abbott will just help DF narrow down the pool of possible signings and then DF can make the final decision.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 am

For me the jury is out on appointments like this but at face value Id ask what has he done apart from the Trophy win? You take other fans views with a pinch of salt relative to how they feel their club is or has been doing but if we were going to do something like this Id have hoped we might have gone for someone with more than just "experience".
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 am

if we want someone who can identify good players that can be developed into better players (going on the current team) adam murray would have been a good choice for this job.

clownty fans aren't impressed by him, apparently he was there for a while as well.

edited; a few more clownty fans have expressed their opinions on the chap now, seems there are more of them that like him than not, all told.
Last edited by m1cksut on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 am

Welcome to the club, eh?

You guys.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:For me the jury is out on appointments like this but at face value Id ask what has he done apart from the Trophy win? You take other fans views with a pinch of salt relative to how they feel their club is or has been doing but if we were going to do something like this Id have hoped we might have gone for someone with more than just "experience".

He’s not being brought in as a coach.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 am

Time will tell, just don’t feel right ta me, however the proof of the pie is in the eating, therefore i’ll judge him after the Jan transfer window shuts
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Time will tell, just don’t feel right ta me, however the proof of the pie is in the eating, therefore i’ll judge him after the Jan transfer window shuts

I’m sure he’s waiting with bated breath for an Internet no mark to pass judgement on him
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:19 am

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Time will tell, just don’t feel right ta me, however the proof of the pie is in the eating, therefore i’ll judge him after the Jan transfer window shuts

I’m sure he’s waiting with bated breath for an Internet no mark to pass judgement on him

similar to my bated breath reaction to your pathetic boring replies to anyone that dares to cast an opinion Gripper
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:22 am

John Radford will be a country mile infront of anyone trying to pull a fast one on his club. Dont worry
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:37 am

The owners and managers run this football club, let them get on with it. No need for all the negativity. The clubs doing well. We should be happy.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:18 am

m1cksut wrote:if we want someone who can identify good players that can be developed into better players (going on the current team) adam murray would have been a good choice for this job.

clownty fans aren't impressed by him, apparently he was there for a while as well.

Adam Murray would be a good choice but I really don't see Adam wanting a desk job. That's what this is, a desk job with some scouting.

Muzza strikes me as someone who wants to be on the training ground and not in a office. I think that with Abbott's age and illnesses he doesn't want the top job anymore but wants to stay involved in football. We have provided that for him. I can't see him leading a mutiny to get Flitcroft's job.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am

m1cksut wrote:if we want someone who can identify good players that can be developed into better players (going on the current team) adam murray would have been a good choice for this job.

Not the impression I get from reading the few quotes made on their board so far

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38234260
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:11 am

Bradford fans have a lot of respect for Greg Abbott. He sounds like a decent bloke and he is a Bradford legend as a player. They were just not very impressed with his record as a coach or as head of recruitment but then again it sounds like there was a lot of interference from the owner and his sidekicks. He sounds hard working and committed and his heart is in the right place. Hopefully DF, BF and Greg will make a good team.

"Wish him nothing but the best, his time as a coach here in these last few months was a shambles, as was his head of recruitment role within the club, except a few early finds. But he's given a hell of a lot of his time to this club over the years and deserves nothing but respect, it's a positive move for the club imo, but long term might be for him as well not working with Rahic."

"I loved him during his time as a player, and I wish him well for the future, especially with his health. However, it's clearly best for Hopkin and the club that he is released, as he has failed both as head of recruitment and assistant coach. If he is leaving, it will be with my best wishes and thanks for all his efforts."

"Things may not have worked out for him (and plenty of others) recently, but he has been a dedicated servant for this Club and, as far as I'm concerned, he will always be welcome back at Valley Parade"

"All the best to him for his health and as a former player. His time here as head of recruitment was abysmal and one signing out of 4 windows that was worthy of any note, shows that."

"I've stuck up for Greg a bit as I think he's definately been undermined by Rahic in terms of the targets he wanted to sign. However facts are facts and too many raspberry players have been signed under him. Also if Hopkin is in control of transfers then his position is redundant."

"I wish him nothing but the best. I hope he recovers well and tbh he shouldn’t have been working. I can’t help feeling he came back to help us. He has received a fair amount of vitriol and criticism about his role in recruitment. Without knowing the ins and outs of it all, I think he was between a wall and hard place. It will all come out in the wash in due course."

"We’ve paid fees for Poleon, Hanson (what happened to him), McCartan, Brunker and more. Not a cat in hells chance we’ll get / got any money back. Not all his fault but somebody introduced these players to Rahic."

(TTF: Shay McCartan has done ok at Lincoln and I think Danny Cowley wants to keep him.)

"I don't know how the Poleon in/out fees correlate, but Hanson and McCartan aren't so stupid on paper - and Brunker was never anybody's signing but Rahic's. No one can tell me Abbott spotted an amateur German player and recommended we paid a fee for him, without at least being presented some extraordinary footage. Don't get me wrong, the recruitment under Abbott has been awful, but he had a brief to meet and worked to it."

"Crazy really. A City stalwart from the past gets a job which is then undermined by someone else so his input is not really his, but when it proves a failure he's at fault. I wonder how many people outside football,have accepted a job but have been unable to do it due to senior interference,but are then sacked for not being good enough? You can't understand the reasoning but if your job title says "Head of recruitment" but someone else decides,how can it be your fault? Easy for others to say he should resign,does he have a mortgage to pay and family to support? No problem,for us eh? Having said all that,Hopkin lives and dies on results so he should bring his own backroom staff in so he can be judged fairly. That means Greg has to go. Best wishes to him for his health and career."

"Kept his head down and tried to limit damage being done to the club he loves despite catcalls. A dignified man who put BCFC first. A legend."

"Best wishes Greg. To be fair he stayed at Carlisle for five years which is two and half times the average for managers"

"No sentiment in business, but I do wish Greg well for the future, to his family and for his personal health. From my brief knowledge, he was committed and a 24/7 kinda guy."

"All the best to Greg, I'm sure this decision will have hurt him on a personal level given his dedication and passion for this football club."

"We should treat Greg the player and Greg the scout,coach,assistant manager etc as 2 different people. As a player he was a fearless, anything above a blade of grass sort of player whole hearted in every game he played he had city in his blood. His current roll left a lot to be desired for whatever reasons and best left at that. I for one wish him all the best for the future and hope he takes more care of his health personally I think he came back too soon and should have put his health first."

"Good servent to the club in his playing career and that should be recognised. Unfortunately, his past couple of years will last in peoples memory’s. Good luck to Greg in what ever he chooses to, he should be remembered for the good times and not the shambles our ‘I know football’ has created."

"Was a great player for us and he is held in the highest regard by older supporters. He’s a great bloke. I’ve met him once and you could tell he loved this club and his job. Genuinely wanted him to succeed. It was horrible to hear about his illness. It’s great that he battled it and was able to return to work. All that aside, his loyalty to Rahic, rather than his former teammate and housemate, Stuart, surprised me. I thought he’d walk when Stuart was harshly sacked. More telling than anything, he and Rahic have overseen some dire recruitment. He had to go for playing his part in that. All the best, Greg."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:34 am

Good quote from the Carlisle article.

"Abbott speaks freely about both meaningful times in his life. His journey with the Blues was always emotional and, as he returned for Saturday's pre-season friendly as Bradford's assistant coach, he was followed by goodwill, as old friends, colleagues and fans asked about his health. Was it strange, to be part of the away contingent? "It wasn't, to be fair, because I went in the home dressing room, home dugout, basically everywhere I used to go. In the boardroom they saved me a little meat pie, like they always used to. I thought I was manager of both teams for the day!

"Seriously, it was a bit odd, a bit strange, but that's fine. I don't think I took a smile off my face all day. I sat with John [Sheridan] in his office for a crack. John's a top guy, a proper football person - we go back to when he was at Leeds and I was at Bradford, kicking lumps out of each other. I put some names on the board who I said he should be signing. He started laughing, and said he couldn't afford them. I said, 'Some things never change...'"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:51 am

i don't see any issues with his appointment, only positives. He's not being recruited as a DOF or first team coach.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am

Now is not the time to judge him.

Let us see what happens in the next two transfer windows.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum