{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Robins scorefred sponsored by Lime green jelly party time.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Robins scorefred sponsored by Lime green jelly party tim

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Conrad Logan was arguably our MOM today with three or four good saves. Krystian Pearce had no right to bawl him out as it was Krystian who was dilly dallying when under pressure whilst facing his own goal. Krystian needed to put the ball in Row Z instead of trying to blame Conrad. I thought Hayden White had a good first half but was not as effective in the 2nd half. Mal Benning also attacked well in the first half. I thought Ryan Sweeney was pretty solid throughout and he was my pick of the back three.

I was also disappointed with Otis Khan. It was his big chance to make a claim for a starting place but he made no impact on the game at all. I would have brought Danny Rose on earlier as the first sub. I might also have given young Jordan Graham a go for the last 10 minutes.

Regarding corners, we have been better in the last three games with a goal and a penalty from corners. Danny Rose was also unlucky not to score before the penalty at Stevenage with his header being cleared off the line. We nearly found Ryan Sweeney free at the far post with a corner in the first half and we also played in Mal Benning running into the area but his shot was blocked. In the 2nd half we just played the ball too close to the keeper.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Logan played well today and made a couple of very good saves. He did his job as a keeper.

However, it's clear to see the defenders are not as confident with him in goal as Olejnik. There is now way Pearce would have reacted in the same way had Olejnik made the same error, he would've let it slide. His distribution is very slow, and there was a couple of occasions a number of players were gesturing at him to get the ball moving quicker.

We were a bit slow all round today, which is understandable given the hectic schedule and lack of changes.

That is not good leadership. He's meant to be the captain. You can't square up to one person for a mistake and not do the same if another person makes the same mistake.

Pearce reacted the way he did because of his own poor performance today. Logan bailed him out a few times. Call me old fashioned but for me you only leave the ball the way Pearce did if the keeper calls for it. If you don't hear the call you get rid. Anyone in QLE hear a call from Logan?

Granted, but you could also say that Logan should've shown Pearce more respect as the captain.

Pearce wasn't as poor as people are making out. He was poor by his own standards but average by anybody elses.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry but, as captain, Pearce shouldn't be mouthing off at a team mate who saved his bacon. It wasn't conrad's fault. I don't know about you but if I'm at work and someone Messrs up and that same person has a go at me for it I'd do the same as logan did.

Pearce was poor. In that game he was poor I get 1 in 23 games ain't bad going. He was poor today. Or at the very least below average.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:48 pm

I wonder if the publicity surrounding the Forestieri court case/arrest warrant had any kind of effect on the captain today?
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Sorry but, as captain, Pearce shouldn't be mouthing off at a team mate who saved his bacon. It wasn't conrad's fault. I don't know about you but if I'm at work and someone Messrs up and that same person has a go at me for it I'd do the same as logan did.

Pearce was poor. In that game he was poor I get 1 in 23 games ain't bad going. He was poor today. Or at the very least below average.

He didn't save him on that occasion. Pearce expected him to come and get the ball as any other keeper would have and he was glued to his line. That and his distribution were his only poor aspects today.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Logan played well today and made a couple of very good saves. He did his job as a keeper.

However, it's clear to see the defenders are not as confident with him in goal as Olejnik. There is now way Pearce would have reacted in the same way had Olejnik made the same error, he would've let it slide. His distribution is very slow, and there was a couple of occasions a number of players were gesturing at him to get the ball moving quicker.

We were a bit slow all round today, which is understandable given the hectic schedule and lack of changes.

That is not good leadership. He's meant to be the captain. You can't square up to one person for a mistake and not do the same if another person makes the same mistake.

Pearce reacted the way he did because of his own poor performance today. Logan bailed him out a few times. Call me old fashioned but for me you only leave the ball the way Pearce did if the keeper calls for it. If you don't hear the call you get rid. Anyone in QLE hear a call from Logan?

Granted, but you could also say that Logan should've shown Pearce more respect as the captain.

Pearce wasn't as poor as people are making out. He was poor by his own standards but average by anybody elses.

Drivel, Pearce had a shocker today. He is a fantastic footballer and has been our best player for 2 years but today he was terrible. He was to blame for that incident and it was quite shocking to see him square up to his keeper. A Captain should know better, it was his worst day at the club.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Pearce & Logan are both grown ups, I'm sure they'll sort their differences before Tuesday. They aren't the first & they won't be the last team mates to have a bust up during a game.

KP is good for the odd 'mare once or twice a season. He's our most consistant performer week in week out, so it's no biggie, at least he avoided the red card (just) that usually accompanies his stinkers. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Drivel, Pearce had a shocker today. He is a fantastic footballer and has been our best player for 2 years but today he was terrible. He was to blame for that incident and it was quite shocking to see him square up to his keeper. A Captain should know better, it was his worst day at the club.

Come off it Rob. Pearce made a crucial interception towards the end to prevent a certain goal, just the same as Logan made two good saves. I've no issue with Logan and Pearce squaring up per se', just thought it point towards a lack of confidence in the keeper. How many times after that did Pearce pass back to his keeper?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Come off it Rob. Pearce made a crucial interception towards the end to prevent a certain goal, just the same as Logan made two good saves. I've no issue with Logan and Pearce squaring up per se', just thought it point towards a lack of confidence in the keeper. How many times after that did Pearce pass back to his keeper?

I do have an issue with the Captain and keeper squaring up to each other. You and a few others are predisposed when it comes to Logan. Judge him on his performances, he was good today, Pearce wasn't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 pm

I don't deny that I don't think he's good enough. Same with Anderson and Butcher.

As I said, he made two very good saves today. But you can't ignore the poor aspects because of the good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:53 am

Swindon pressed high and forced the errors from everybody, they didn't give our defence one second to compose themselves with the ball.

Let's not forget how many times we got behind their defence, enough times to win the game with a bit more clinical passing/finishing.

Can't argue with Logan's clean sheet, he made sure it remained 0 against. Totally agree he slows it down too much.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:53 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I don't deny that I don't think he's good enough. Same with Anderson and Butcher.

As I said, he made two very good saves today. But you can't ignore the poor aspects because of the good.

And as I said, predisposed. Logan was many fans MoM today.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:32 am

Yesterday was not our finest hour and I don’t think any of the players could say that they played to their usual high standards. At times the looked ‘leggy’, passes were under hit, the play did not flow, confidence at the back is falling (something which needs to be addressed pretty damn quick) and chances were not taken, again.

Though in flashes, intermittently each player played to their ability though sadly and not collectively for the 90 minutes.

We played poor and drew, we have played well this season and drawn it’s not the end of the world. It is just something that Dave and Ben need to address prior to travelling to the sun drenched shores of Cleethorpes.

Have a bit of faith, we are third in the league at the turning point of the season playing some great football. Anyone one of us would have, if offered this in the summer, snatched at with both hands.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:12 am

I have to say this thread is typical of this board and some of the posts v predictable.

MTFCMusings it’s clear you don’t like Conrad but he was MOM today in my view pulling off several good saves. I do agree he does slow things down and you could see that was frustrating the bench.

In my view KP had a poor game today not just by his own standards - he simply had a poor game. I thought his reaction to Conrad was irrational given the fact that he was at fault.

As you walk up to the IGU there are some quotes on the wall and one of them says ‘ football is complicated by the presence of the other team’ ( or something like that). I think that is v relevant today. Swindon had done their homework - they closed our back 3 down and stopped us taking quick free kicks ( something Kettle should have clamped down on ) and were generally up for it.

We are now one of the teams to beat and lets not lose sight of the fact we drew and kept a clean sheet. We didn’t lose

It was just one on those days - but they happen

A great first half of the season from JR DF and the boys. And the supporters of course

Happy New Year to all

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby StagR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 am

As MTFCMusings pointed out, after the alarming bust up between Pearce & Logan, KP never played the ball back to his keeper and instead took on and turned his man to come away with the ball. Impressive, but a dangerous tactic as the last man. If the lack of confidence in the keeper affects the rhythm and decisions made by the back three and other teams have done their homework as effectively as Swindon, we are likely to be put under such pressure more and more as the season wears on. I’m a huge fan of KP and hope the crucial rapport and understanding between the centre back/skipper and keeper can be restored. Conrad deserves credit for preserving our clean sheet yesterday, but I suspect DF may need to tinker with tactics and/or personnel in the coming weeks, as based on yesterday’s first half against a strong wind and well prepared opposition, our previously successful system of playing it out quickly and around at the back was not only ineffective but downright near suicidal at times. But every team has an off day and the unbeaten record continues ! Tough two games to come. Would be nice to get something from Grimsby.
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby manssmooth » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 am

gazza1988 wrote:

That's the way i saw it too gazza, love the "Chief", but very poor first half and i think he was angry with himself, and no we didn't hear Logan call for the ball and we sit right behind the Goal.
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 am

Why the problem between Pearce and Logan squaring up? It shows they care and yes they are grown men and it was sorted out there and then. I agree I think KP did it through sheer embarrassment at his performance when he could have just cleared the ball. Logan didn’t shout so he fully expected KP to hoof it away. KP doesn’t trust Logan fully hence some of the odd decisions imo. Logan saved us a point yesterday!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:28 am

Nottsstag100 wrote:Attendance 5311

:coys:

Happy :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:32 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:On the face of it Logan could be said to have had a good game. He kept a clean sheet and made some decent saves (although the free kick he tipped onto the bar should have been a routine save had he positioned himself correctly).

But having a keeper who isn't comfortable in possession hampered us today. He is so slow in possession, and the few times he did play out, he had held onto the ball for so long the opposition were back in posistion and could apply the press. Aimless punts upfield gave them back possession time and time again.

Quite clearly Pearce doesn't trust him. He had many a chance to roll it back to him but chose to take the more difficult option because he knew the ball would be launched up to the heads of their central defenders.

Logan is a old school goalkeeper. He is a good shot stopper and takes no risks and keep the ball as far away from his goal as possible at all times. We, as a team, have moved on from that and a goalkeeper who is capable with the ball and can think offensively is vital to how we play. Playing the way he did today Logan was playing for himself rather than the team.

Logan did have a good game. He was let down by his back 3 today. We couldn't play the ball out quickly because they pressed our defenders. As soon as logan had the ball they went straight to our defenders. They knew Walker and Hamilton were never going to win many headers so any long ball was going to come back and would be 3 on 3. When logan managed to get the ball out to a defender they messed around with it and nearly got caught in possession or hurried their clearance and gave the ball away. There were times today logan shouted for them to leave it and they didn't. If logan is coming for the ball he let's them know. The problem was Pearce was expecting logan to come for the ball while Pearce was under pressure. At no point is that a good call from Pearce.

A clean sheet and a few decent saves is always a good day for a keeper. But what I'm saying is that with Flitcrofts style we need more. I agree with the bit I've highlighted. But that was happening because Logan was faffing about every time the ball was in his arms. He looked about, shouted at a few people, waited for Swindon to get back in posistion, then rolled it out at which point they pressed effectively. Bobbys first thought when he picks the ball up is who can I give it to. Logan's is how much time can I take out of the game and how far can I get it away from my goal.

It must be hard for Logan. He's expected to do something he hasn't done for his whole career and take calculated risks to get the team on the front foot, whereas for Bobby it's second nature.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am

It's great that we now have a team full of players who are comfortable on the ball, but there were a few times yesterday when a good old hoof upfield might have been the better course of action. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am

Every team has a blip during the season. If ours is a handful of games like this then I'll take it all day long.

Yeah, Swindon's plan of slowing down our free kicks and diving like a Stuka with a seized engine worked like a charm in breaking up play.

Tbf, there were a number of times where Logan couldn't roll the ball out because our defence was being marked. A couple of errors from the peroxide polar bear, but made several point-rescuing saves & otherwise a reasonable game from him
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:03 am

Sneag wrote:It's great that we now have a team full of players who are comfortable on the ball, but there were a few times yesterday when a good old hoof upfield might have been the better course of action. :lol:

Totally agree, especially in the first half. If in doubt give it a clout :lol:
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 am

Spiritater wrote:

Did anybody else think that the crowd seemed bigger on Boxing Day? My gut reaction was the ground seemed fuller on Boxing Day. There was certainly more of an atmosphere. A couple of friends also said the same.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Did anybody else think that the crowd seemed bigger on Boxing Day? My gut reaction was the ground seemed fuller on Boxing Day. There was certainly more of an atmosphere. A couple of friends also said the same.

No, definitely fuller on Saturday. Places spare in WSU on BD near to me, none on Saturday.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:39 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I said same to my mates TTF. Boxing Day was busier on concourse etc, also seemed nosier.
The One
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum