{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thanks, Dave. (Pt. II)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thanks, Dave. (Pt. II)

Postby Bradders » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Rob wrote:As you say, it is far too early to get carried away but we are in a strong position given we are still carrying some expensive players. DF's second transfer window is coming up and I think by the end of Jan he hopefully will have more of his own players and less of Evans expensive flops.

I don't want to take anything away from Flitcroft's fine achievement of building a team that we're so proud of.
But I wonder who the "expensive flops" are that he's suffering from. You look back to February and we were three points from 2nd place and beating Exeter with a fine display just before the Scottish Manager left. Not really "flopping".
Mansfield Town produced a fabulous first half display and a gritty second half display to play high-flying Exeter City off the park at St James Park this afternoon

The team was;

Logan 7 A quiet afternoon with not a single shot to save, but showed his class by being so alert to clear a long ball into the area late on.
Anderson 7 Solid defensively and some good play moving forward down the right.
Pearce 7 Defended well. One fine header away.
Bennett 7 Very solid. Plenty of headers away.
Benning 8 Some fine attacking down the left with Hamilton.
Potter 8 Very good. Great cross which led to the goal. Some fine defensive play.
King 8 Really classy, quality on the ball.
MacDonald 7 Worked so hard, as he does every week. Good game.
Hamilton 8 Some great attacking down the left. Good to see him playing with freedom away from home. Some good defensive work.
Rose 8 Great display. Alert for his goal, his 17th of the season. Hit the post early on. Took a battering and kept going.
Hemmings 8 Superb effort was denied by an incredible save before Rose scored from the rebound. Very good all round display.

The only subs that are still with us are Atkinson and Mellis. I wouldn't describe MacDonald as a flop, he's just been injured too much this season. Anderson we can agree on, although it's a mystery what's going on there. Perhaps Butcher (who clearly isn't pulling up trees but is useful) and Sterling James (who was free from Solihull Moors and I doubt is costing much). But there are always going to be squad players who may become valuable later on in the season when we suffer injuries and suspensions, and I don't think that these examples are going to be so expensive that it makes a big difference.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:08 am

Without being able to afford 3-5 of DF's players, then considering where we are I think it's been exceptional. That figure above is my guesstimate based on those he wanted rid & crocked players we have rightfully looked after.

I would agree in only categorising Ando & Butch as flops, but I would also include King's loan as another one.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:As you say, it is far too early to get carried away but we are in a strong position given we are still carrying some expensive players. DF's second transfer window is coming up and I think by the end of Jan he hopefully will have more of his own players and less of Evans expensive flops.

I don't want to take anything away from Flitcroft's fine achievement of building a team that we're so proud of.
But I wonder who the "expensive flops" are that he's suffering from. You look back to February and we were three points from 2nd place and beating Exeter with a fine display just before the Scottish Manager left. Not really "flopping".
Mansfield Town produced a fabulous first half display and a gritty second half display to play high-flying Exeter City off the park at St James Park this afternoon

The team was;

Logan 7 A quiet afternoon with not a single shot to save, but showed his class by being so alert to clear a long ball into the area late on.
Potter 8 Very good. Great cross which led to the goal. Some fine defensive play.
Hamilton 8 Some great attacking down the left. Good to see him playing with freedom away from home. Some good defensive work.
Rose 8 Great display. Alert for his goal, his 17th of the season. Hit the post early on. Took a battering and kept going.
Hemmings 8 Superb effort was denied by an incredible save before Rose scored from the rebound. Very good all round display.

The only subs that are still with us are Atkinson and Mellis. I wouldn't describe MacDonald as a flop, he's just been injured too much this season. Anderson we can agree on, although it's a mystery what's going on there. Perhaps Butcher (who clearly isn't pulling up trees but is useful) and Sterling James (who was free from Solihull Moors and I doubt is costing much). But there are always going to be squad players who may become valuable later on in the season when we suffer injuries and suspensions, and I don't think that these examples are going to be so expensive that it makes a big difference.

Bearing in mind Evans left this year, how many of his signings are first choice picks in the current side? I'd say his transfer dealings were a financial disaster.

I think we are paying Atkinson, Butcher and Anderson very decent wages at this level, wages which could be spent on players who would properly challenge for the first team. I personally don't mind Atkinson and of course don't know what sort of money he is on, but I would guess it is a good wage which probably could be spent on someone better. So 3 expensive players in the squad not challenging for a 1st team place, 2 not even in the match day squad I would absolutely categorise as Evans flops.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

The team was;

Bearing in mind Evans left this year, how many of his signings are first choice picks in the current side? I'd say his transfer dealings were a financial disaster.

I think we are paying Atkinson, Butcher and Anderson very decent wages at this level, wages which could be spent on players who would properly challenge for the first team. I personally don't mind Atkinson and of course don't know what sort of money he is on, but I would guess it is a good wage which probably could be spent on someone better. So 3 expensive players in the squad not challenging for a 1st team place, 2 not even in the match day squad I would absolutely categorise as Evans flops.
I think Atkinson had his contract renegotiated, so is probably on less now than under SE. Maybe that's why Anderson is out of favour.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Current Mansfield Town Squad

Adam Murray Signings
Krystian Pearce
Mal Benning
CJ Hamilton
Danny Rose

Steve Evans Signings
Conrad Logan
Bobby Olejnik
Hayden White
Alex MacDonald
Jacob Mellis
Will Atkinson
Calum Butcher
Omari Sterling-James
David Mirfin (Injured)
Zander Diamond (Injured/Retired)
Paul Anderson (Siberia)

David Flitcroft Signings
Matt Preston
Ryan Sweeney (Loan)
Neal Bishop
Otis Khan
Timi Elsnik (Loan)
Craig Davies
Tyler Walker (Loan)
Jake Kean (Loan)

Jordan Graham (Youth Team)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Mellis, Olejnik (and maybe Logan to an extent), White & MacDonald are all really important players for us, i would say they're 1st choice picks for us & they're all Evans' signings.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Current Mansfield Town Squad

Adam Murray Signings
Krystian Pearce
Mal Benning
CJ Hamilton
Danny Rose

Steve Evans Signings
Conrad Logan
Bobby Olejnik
Hayden White
Alex MacDonald
Jacob Mellis
Will Atkinson
Calum Butcher
Omari Sterling-James
David Mirfin (Injured)
Zander Diamond (Injured/Retired)
Paul Anderson (Siberia)

David Flitcroft Signings
Matt Preston
Ryan Sweeney (Loan)
Neal Bishop
Otis Khan
Timi Elsnik (Loan)
Craig Davies
Tyler Walker (Loan)
Jake Kean (Loan)

Jordan Graham (Youth Team)
Don't forget SE mega signings Hunt, Digby and the best of the lot Spencer. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Where is Potter on that list?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 pm

I think it’s worth noting that DF has taken three of Adams signings on to a whole new level and Kp also looks v comfortable.

Of Fatboys signings Hayden looks good in a role where he can get forward more often. In addition DF gave Bobby his chance in goal.

Whoever signed the current squad is in my view irrelevant - the quality of football is excellent probably some of the best in my 50 years as a Stag. DF has taken some of these players onto a whole new level

And then there’s the engagement with the youth set up

DF comes across as v engaging in interviews and clearly enjoys being here. I also reflect on some of the early comments about players not wanting to play for him. Now clearly I am not informed on this but that doesn’t appear to be the case. I don’t know if anyone saw the interaction with Ryan Lowe and some of the subs with DF - they were v cordial

Thank you Dave and thank you JR

In my view we are no longer talking about can we get in the play offs ( and we might not) but I think we can win this league. Let’s dream

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Steve Evans' Signings - Hit or Miss?

I have started a new thread on this topic. No sitting on the fence! :)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum