{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Craig Davies/ Matt Green/Lawrence Shankland

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Craig Davies / Matt Green

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 am

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:The point I'm making is like Green, Davies has been a good player and goalscorer in the past, but I don't think he is now good enough to take us to the next level.

What that has got to do with judging our manager escapes me.

The point is you’ve made that judgement very harshly because you have barely seen him play and he’s only been at the club since the summer.

You need to show him the patience you did Flitcroft, give him a chance.
Fair point he deserves a chance. I'm willing to give him a chance. I just think his best days are gone and that he is not the answer.

The comparison you make with DF doesn't stack up. One is a player, the other is a manager. But even if it was remotely comparable , I'm not being disrespectful to Craig Davies in the same way as some where to DF.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 am

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:The point I'm making is like Green, Davies has been a good player and goalscorer in the past, but I don't think he is now good enough to take us to the next level.

The point is you’ve made that judgement very harshly because you have barely seen him play and he’s only been at the club since the summer.

Fair point he deserves a chance. I'm willing to give him a chance. I just think his best days are gone and that he is not the answer.

The comparison you make with DF doesn't stack up. One is a player, the other is a manager. But even if it was remotely comparable , I'm not being disrespectful to Craig Davies in the same way as some where to DF.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:37 am

To be fair, When Davies first played for us, I was excited by him Rose and Walker up front. I t doesn`t seem to work now, unfortunately!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:11 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:

I never said you was being disrespectful - but I fail to see how it’s fair to judge Davies being ‘not good enough’ Considering how much football he’s played.

It’s always good to have a big man up front, especially one who usually adds double digits to the goal tally.

Player, manager, Kitman, it doesn’t matter give them time.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:

I never said you was being disrespectful - but I fail to see how it’s fair to judge Davies being ‘not good enough’ Considering how much football he’s played.

It’s always good to have a big man up front, especially one who usually adds double digits to the goal tally.

I'm happy to give him time. At the moment he isn't contributing and we need a better option.

Are you saying we shouldn't be signing a better option?

Quite frankly Conker, I don't understand why you are making so much out of my original post!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Re: Davies

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 am

FarnieStag wrote:In my opinion Greeny is quality. He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.
Lincoln are hoof which doesnt suit his game, in a proper footballing outfit like stags I'm sure he will shine.
Walker, greeny and CJ would rip league 2 teams apart

Did you miss the years of hoof Cox served up then in which Green had his best years?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm

PRL13 wrote:To be fair, When Davies first played for us, I was excited by him Rose and Walker up front. I t doesn`t seem to work now, unfortunately!

In the case of Davies, i think it hasn't worked due to injury. Sounds like he's been carrying an injury for much of the season, and unless it's fixed properly this time we won't see much improvement imo
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Davies is just one of those signings that has not worked out a bit like Diamond's case and that's football life!!
He seemed to be more of a sort of upgraded Hoban.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:In my opinion Greeny is quality. He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.
Lincoln are hoof which doesnt suit his game, in a proper footballing outfit like stags I'm sure he will shine.

Did you miss the years of hoof Cox served up then in which Green had his best years?

You mean the years when we got back into the league? give your head a shake. Cox should get more credit than he does
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

If any player.should be given a chance its young Graham.

Why does this board everytime hears reads the Green is on the move minority on here want him back....

Green is not getting a start for a team with no flair pace formation or skill why would anyone think Green could be a good addition to a Stags team that is all of the above.

We need a player young hungry knows the club n found the net in a Stags shirt.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Green??!

Let him go to Salford and score some goals..

You really want a player from a promotion rival that can't get a game!? He's past it and is not the player to fire us to promotion, he'll just be another player on th books that can't find the net. He's only ever been a lethal goalscorer in the conference. He's a squad player and that's it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:26 am

[quote="Sedgwick"]Green??!

Let him go to Salford and score some goals..

You really want a player from a promotion rival that can't get a game!? He's past it and is not the player to fire us to promotion, he'll just be another player on th books that can't find the net. He's only ever been a lethal goalscorer in the conference. He's a squad player and that's it.[/quote]

Spot on Sedgwick..
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:35 am

Sorry Matt but no thanks. Always a legend.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:

I'm happy to give him time. At the moment he isn't contributing and we need a better option.

Are you saying we shouldn't be signing a better option?

Quite frankly Conker, I don't understand why you are making so much out of my original post!

I said we need a new striker before the season started!!!! Don’t worry about it Andy.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:44 am

Matt Green is 32 in January and coming towards the end of his career. He needs to get the best financial deal for him and his family. I think Salford could offer him a 2/3 year contract on £3,500-£4,000 per week. I don't think the Stags would be prepared to match that and it would be a massive financial gamble for a 32 year old striker. JR is a big fan of Greeny but he has already had his fingers burned with Zander Diamond, David Mirfin, Paul Anderson, Craig Davies etc. However if Greeny was available on loan until the end of the season then I would take him but I doubt that will be the case.

If we are planning for the future then we could do with signing a younger striker who could do the business in League 2 and League 1 and who is our player. Tyler Walker will be on his way back to Forest at the end of the season. Strikers are very very expensive though.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:53 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Matt Green is 32 in January and coming towards the end of his career. He needs to get the best financial deal for him and his family. I think Salford could offer him a 2/3 year contract on £3,500-£4,000 per year. I don't think the Stags would be prepared to match that and it would be a massive financial gamble for a 32 year old striker. JR is a big fan of Greeny but he has already had his fingers burned with Zander Diamond, David Mirfin, Paul Anderson, Craig Davies etc. However if Greeny was available on loan until the end of the season then I would take him but I doubt that will be the case.

If we are planning for the future then we could do with signing a younger striker who could do the business in League 2 and League 1 and who is our player. Tyler Walker will be on his way back to Forest at the end of the season. Strikers are very very expensive though.

3.5k a year?!?! :lol: he's not that bad! ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:56 am

Greenacre wasn't expensive. It's all about picking up talent, spotting potential and getting the right folk to nurture and improve them, as Martin did with CJ ;) Then it's about the fans showing a teenzy weensy bit of patience as they improve.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 am

Now edited :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 am

injury news - Flitcroft press conference Thu 20 Dec

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am

Craig Davies has been a disappointing big signing for DF but it happens to all managers. You just need to get more right than wrong. I think DF's main strength is as a coach and he has shown this season that he can get the better players signed by Steve Evans and Adam Murray to improve or to work together better as a team.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am

Salford have bid accepted for Matt Green
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 pm

yorkstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

You mean the years when we got back into the league? give your head a shake. Cox should get more credit than he does

What has that got to do with the style of play?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Mansfield Town striker Craig Davies facing ankle operation
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Thursday 20 December 2018

Mansfield Town striker Craig Davies is to have an ankle operation to cure a problem that has hampered a season in which he has been in constant pain. The 32-year-old summer signing from Oldham has tried hard to get by but has now admitted defeat and doctors found in an exploratory operation that Davies has bits of flaked-off bone getting trapped in his joints. It has left Davies and fans frustrated and playing only to about 60 per cent of capacity.

“Over a six-week period now Davo has felt this discomfort in his ankle and he’s been having injections to try to cope with the pain,” said manager David Flitcroft.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9503121
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Matt Green close to Lincoln City exit after Salford City have bid accepted

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ty-2347633
Martin Shaw
Site Admin