{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Craig Davies/ Matt Green/Lawrence Shankland

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Craig Davies/ Matt Green/Lawrence Shankland

Postby skegbystag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am

Davies - What a crock he’s turned out to be. Injured again!!! Plays one game then out for a few weeks.
skegbystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Davies

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:19 am

The floating bone thing is a worry, probably need keyhole surgery but definitely some sort of surgery to remove it. Then recuperation and build up to fitness... 6-7 weeks out maybe. I do think he's been hampered by it and we've not seen his best since it happened. I remember him turning his ankle early on in the season down near the corner of QL and WS and thought that looks a sore one and never really figured after that. Probably me just putting 2+2 together and making 76 though :(
We will be needing a replacement for the lad in Jan without a doubt... Matt Green anyone?
Last edited by Spiritater on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:20 am

Matt green defo and 1 more
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 am

We need a proper big man, like Rheady. Someone we can bring on when we're seeing out a game or if conditions are bad like yesterday.

Matt Green, no thanks. There's a reason he isn't playing every week...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 am

I think we only need a big unit as a backup plan. We looked far more dangerous with CJ & Tyler up front. And we now seem to have players with the brains to work with a smaller mobile front line.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:46 am

Spiritater wrote:The floating bone thing is a worry, probably need keyhole surgery but definitely some sort of surgery to remove it. Then recuperation and build up to fitness... 6-7 weeks out maybe. I do think he's been hampered by it and we've not seen his best since it happened. I remember him turning his ankle early on in the season down near the corner of QL and WS and thought that looks a sore one and never really figured after that. Probably me just putting 2+2 together and making 76 though :(
We will be needing a replacement for the lad in Jan without a doubt... Matt Green anyone?

Matt Green is more of a Tyler Walker type of player, or an old and slow version of CJ without the goalscoring threat. We've already got better strikers in that mould. Anyway, he's a squad player for Lincoln and won't be available. Why the obsession with former players anyway?
As an in-form natural goalscorer won't be on the cards, I think that we're looking for a powerful no-nonsense striker who can at least use his strength to create chances that other players can tap in. So more obviously a replacement for Davies - he's been very disappointing, whether due to injury or not.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am

Could do with a kenny Miller (Dundee) he’s 38 and still knows where the net is ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:31 am

We’ve definitely not seen the best of him this year and I’m sure there’s no one more frustrated than him.
Those saying Green I don’t think he’s be an upgrade on Walker but like many I think we need a target type player to give the team a different dimension if needed, more like a replacement for Davies or a more physical Rose.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am

been a BIG disappointment so far
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm hearing a strong rumour Green is in his way back in Jan. Lincoln will replace him with a loan move from Eisa.
Same guy that told me Frecklington was going there and not here.

I'd take Green over Davies any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'm hearing a strong rumour Green is in his way back in Jan. Lincoln will replace him with a loan move from Eisa.
Same guy that told me Frecklington was going there and not here.

I'd take Green over Davies any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

it's funny that most people said we needed better than green when he was released and his time had come and gone. now some want him back :lol:

I think we can and should be aiming for someone better than green
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Mo Eisa allegedly going Forest Green according to their forum.

We need better than Green, personally we should be being ambitious and looking for someone who could do a job in the second half of the season and hopefully if we get promotion in the league above.

As things stand it shouldn't be as difficult to entice new signings given the league position and games in hand.

Throw the kitchen sink at James Norwood who's contracts out in the summer. ;) (yes it's easy spending JR's money)

Failing that look at other teams within the league and see if any are willing to cash in.

We don't know how much Flitcroft will have to spend.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'd take Green over Davies any day of the week and twice on a Sunday.

A fit but past it striker over a crocked and past it striker? A no brainer if we have to pick one or the other, I agree. Are you saying that's the only option though?

Why is there this obsession with Matt Green? He had a fantastic couple of seasons with us and was key to our eventual promotion. Thank you, Matt!
But that was years ago, and we've moved on since being back in the league. He's not the player he was, and all those brilliant goals were in the Conference.

Actually, a fully-fit Davies might be a useful squad player. But I don't have great faith that he'll ever get back to his best, and I'd rather us sign a similar but fit and on-form player rather than hope that an ex-great can roll back the years.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:37 pm

I’d take Green if Davies is out injured again but we’d need another aswell. He’d be perfect coming off the bench but I imagine e it’s game time he wants.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Between us and Salford for Green signature.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Matt Green

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 pm

A Lincoln friend of mine seems to think he may be on his way back to us. Anyone else heard this?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Re: Matt Green

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Read Davies thread.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm

There is a kid playing for AYR that's banging them in for fun at the minute. 44 in 46, Lawrence Shankland his name a 200k bid gone in for him from Swansea allegedly. He not likely to get a game there so we should go for him.

Unlikely he would come but no harm in trying.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:There is a kid playing for AYR that's banging them in for fun at the minute. 44 in 46, Lawrence Shankland his name a 200k bid gone in for him from Swansea allegedly. He not likely to get a game there so we should go for him.

Unlikely he would come but no harm in trying.

think Bristol rovers were rumoured to be in for him in the summer. definitely worth a punt
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Re: Matt Green

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Ah, Martin please delete this
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:36 pm

was it not 18 months ago that we wanted rid of greeney because he couldnt hit a barn door or have we fickle football fans forgot this ?

Would rather take Rhead to be honest he’d be a proper weapon upfront with Walker or as a option for the last 20 mins in a game.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Absolutely no problem with Green coming back if we still get another decent forward in also. Davies has been so disappointing. Also Green is very much a confidence striker who under Evans would struggle but under DF might flourish, just saying!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Can’t see Davies getting himself properly right again this year. Never been fully fit all season and now sounds like this could have him out for a couple of months.

With that in mind, I think we need 2 strikers to support Walker & Rose (Hamilton may become more of an out and out CF in time but he’ll likely be used in different positions through the season).
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:40 pm

In my opinion Greeny is quality. He still had a decent goalscoring record in his last season with us but was hardly played.
Lincoln are hoof which doesnt suit his game, in a proper footballing outfit like stags I'm sure he will shine.
Walker, greeny and CJ would rip league 2 teams apart
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:51 pm

This might be a controversial opinion, but ......... I think that Matt Green will offer us more right now than either Davies, Rose or Graham. I would gladly welcome Matt Green back.

And if in addition we could also sign someone like Norwood, Pope or Armond, then I think our promotion prospects will increase even further.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum