{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfers Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfers Thread

Postby adamstag » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
lifestags wrote:He was on Forest's bench against Chelsea, cant see him swapping their bench for ours.

He still needs to earn the right to play. He cant just play 'because he was on the bench against Chelsea'

He'll probably get way more room for errors than Logan, simply because he isn't Logan.

Personally think it's a shame we'd rather have a loan to go with our own player who is good enough for us.

Good luck all the same. Hope he's decent.

That's the problem with Logan though - is he good enough? nah - not for the bar we're setting

A standard, run of the mill league 2 GK? yes, reliable enough for promotion - don't think so.

DF quickly realised that and he doesn't fit our style of passing it from the back.

Unfortunate, but just the way it is.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Spiritater wrote:
tmwilson wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:You need to get over your dislike of Logan.

I don't dislike him. He's just not good enough, hence why it would appear we are signing a replacement....

What I heard was Kean was just a stop gap
and also the reason he hasn't got a club are his wage demands . Obe is out injured so it's obvious we needed a keeper . I can't imagine Forest would send a player out on loan to sit on the bench so I do agree that he will take Logans place although I think Logan i's more than adequate for this league .

But that's rather unfair on Logan being as though he's done little wrong in the games since his return. So if the new guy plays and has a stinker and it's in his 'deal' that he's No1 no matter what barring injuries and continues to c ock up then what?

I agree with you 100% spirio but personally I can't see him being shipped out and to be 2nd best when I'm sure other clubs want him . I don't think any player deserves to walk straight into a team but a lot of these are happening .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Spiritater wrote:
tmwilson wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:You need to get over your dislike of Logan.

I don't dislike him. He's just not good enough, hence why it would appear we are signing a replacement....

What I heard was Kean was just a stop gap
and also the reason he hasn't got a club are his wage demands . Obe is out injured so it's obvious we needed a keeper . I can't imagine Forest would send a player out on loan to sit on the bench so I do agree that he will take Logans place although I think Logan i's more than adequate for this league .

But that's rather unfair on Logan being as though he's done little wrong in the games since his return. So if the new guy plays and has a stinker and it's in his 'deal' that he's No1 no matter what barring injuries and continues to c ock up then what?

I agree with you 100% spirio but personally I can't see him being shipped out and to be 2nd best when I'm sure other clubs want him . I don't think any player deserves to walk straight into a team but a lot of these are happening .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 pm

I don’t think the defenders have 100% confidence in Logan, You could see it against Swindon, especially first half and a couple of occasions on Saturday. He’s a good shot stopper and a decent keeper in a league 2 but if we can improve anywhere on the pitch if the option is there then do it.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:10 pm

But wouldn't they be better off with Logan as they know what he'll do or not do. If this new guy comes in he'll be completely new to the squad, won't know their attributes or limitations and it could also cost us
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Confirmed - Jordan Smith, happy with that.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm

All this chatter about signing this one and that one and not one of you has even mentioned bringing in anyone from the youth set-up. you have all ,presumably have watched these young`uns and decided they dont deserve a crack at the first team. If that is the case then somebody had better tell JR not to waste any more money on the youth set-up as the supporters only want to have big name signings. Good job none of you were in charge when Lee Roy, bap, Dis, Liam etc were coming through, as none would have got a look in.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Martian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I was surprised when Olejnic became first choice that he was evidently a class above Logan - how come we didn't play him initially? That's the past - I thnk it goes without saying - if we are serious about promotion and can bring in a keeper who is superior to Logan we have to go for it - a keeper would be pretty much top of my list for acquisitions
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:13 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:14 pm

garlic wrote:All this chatter about signing this one and that one and not one of you has even mentioned bringing in anyone from the youth set-up. you have all ,presumably have watched these young`uns and decided they dont deserve a crack at the first team. If that is the case then somebody had better tell JR not to waste any more money on the youth set-up as the supporters only want to have big name signings. Good job none of you were in charge when Lee Roy, bap, Dis, Liam etc were coming through, as none would have got a look in.

Come off it. Nobodies saying they aren’t going to be good enough but if they were ready now Flitcroft would have them playing wouldn’t he considering he’s quite big on involving youth.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 pm

You only know if a young player is good enough by giving him at least 3 games. Some rise to the occasion some sink, not Bf nor anyone else can tell until they`ve been given a fair crack of the whip. And with a lot of supporters demanding big name signings, maybe DF reckons they wont get that fair crack of the whip.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 pm

garlic wrote:You only know if a young player is good enough by giving him at least 3 games. Some rise to the occasion some sink, not Bf nor anyone else can tell until they`ve been given a fair crack of the whip. And with a lot of supporters demanding big name signings, maybe DF reckons they wont get that fair crack of the whip.

DF has made it clear that if they’re good enough, they will play. They’re clearly not good enough to start on his opinion at the moment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Does anybody know how many players you can have on loan from one club out of interest?

Also, I believe you can only have 5 loans in a match day squad? So that leaves room for one more with Smith, Elsnik, Walker, and Sweeney if they were all going to continue being in the squad.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:45 pm

You can have 5 I think.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:47 pm

I think it’s four, and only two can be over 23. 5 is the maximum amount of loanees you can have in the match day squad. And I think you can have 8 loanees in total.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm

That's us not signing Eisa and Grant on loan then.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:5 is the maximum amount of loaners you can have in the match day squad.

correct.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

'it’s something that’s become of massive importance in recent years for a goalkeeper to become that 11th player by using their feet'

That's why DF felt the need to bring someone else in, hopefully he's good as Bobby on the ball.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Conker wrote:'it’s something that’s become of massive importance in recent years for a goalkeeper to become that 11th player by using their feet'

That's why DF felt the need to bring someone else in, hopefully he's good as Bobby on the ball.

Also 'This season, Jordan was called upon to play for Barnsley for one game and got a clean sheet in a new environment.' says to me he wouldn't mind throwing him straight in.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 pm

That’s one end of the pitch sorted then. What is happening at the other end? Any news on a goal scoring, crowd pleasing, hero in the making, battering ram of a centre forward we are lacking?

Someone must have overheard somebody’s uncle talking to a relative of a bloke on twitter whilst they were shoplifting in Ollerton Tesco’s??? Isn’t that how the rumours and threads start?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:That’s one end of the pitch sorted then. What is happening at the other end? Any news on a goal scoring, crowd pleasing, hero in the making, battering ram of a centre forward we are lacking?

Someone must have overheard somebody’s uncle talking to a relative of a bloke on twitter whilst they were shoplifting in Ollerton Tesco’s??? Isn’t that how the rumours and threads start?

Damn, I have been sat in Sainsbury's car park all day
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Apologies if this has been mentioned but it appears we could still get players on loan.

From EFL:
Clubs are allowed to sign up to eight players on loan but can only select a maximum of five loanees in a match squad.

They can only sign a maximum of four players from a specific club, with only two being over the age of 23.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

I do my shoplifting in Ollerton ASDA, less security :lol:
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 pm

We will definitely be looking into a striker.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum