{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfers Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfers Thread

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:27 pm

part time pete wrote:Young Smith has been on bench last few games, so to put him in midfield wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I’m not knocking Smith by any means, still a young lad with potential but anything can happen in football, we’ve just seen our right back get injured for a couple of months at least. If that was to happen in midfield to Bishop or Mellis, you would not really want Atkinson, or Smith filling in for a prolonged period of time when the stakes could be sky high towards the end of the season. Butcher seems to have gone off the radar altogether but he wouldn’t be an inspiring option either.

We lack that serious cover for a proper midfielder that Elsnik provided. The ideal would be to try and get Butcher out the door some how ASAP and use that free’d up wage on another CM who will contribute.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:29 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We’ve definitely got to sign a right back, and a centre mid.

We really are threadbare in the middle at the moment with only Bishop and Mellis available as quality options who are out and out centre mids. As somebody mentioned with Bishop 1 booking away from a 2 game ban you’ve got to have somebody good enough to come in and not take away from how we play. Until MacDonald is back we don’t have that.

Right back, well we don’t have one.

Important not to go out of January short in these positions, we’ve given ourselves at great chance. We don’t want squad depth to catch up with us!

I agree. Can't we do more to ship out Anderson, Atkinson & Butcher & OSJ ....... and bring in a quality RB, central defender & centre mid.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Surely blooding youth teamers is better to do it when team playing well than when team are in a dip in form.

In the Scunthorpe game Martin assessment of him was

Smith 7 Grew into the game in midfield looking composed and assured.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:38 pm

part time pete wrote:Surely blooding youth teamers is better to do it when team playing well than when team are in a dip in form.

There’s a difference between a dead rubber Checkatrade game and a must win games in the league when teams are scrapping for points. I’m not saying never blood youngsters but personally think we’d be taking a risk to not find extra cover if we can move on the likes of Butcher.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Just seen on ssn Jordan Graham signed an 18 month contract extension.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Vice President wrote:

We really are threadbare in the middle at the moment with only Bishop and Mellis available as quality options who are out and out centre mids. As somebody mentioned with Bishop 1 booking away from a 2 game ban you’ve got to have somebody good enough to come in and not take away from how we play. Until MacDonald is back we don’t have that.

Important not to go out of January short in these positions, we’ve given ourselves at great chance. We don’t want squad depth to catch up with us!

I agree. Can't we do more to ship out Anderson, Atkinson & Butcher & OSJ ....... and bring in a quality RB, central defender & centre mid.

we won't be signing a centre back, pretty sure flitcroft said that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Could do with someone who can play RB and CB now it looks like White is out for the season.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Could do with someone who can play RB and CB now it looks like White is out for the season.

Preston can play right back apparently
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Preston really?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:19 pm

oldweststander wrote:Preston really?

Exactly my reaction, cracking centre half, leave him there.

The way I see it is we wouldn’t have gone in to the season after the summer window with Atkinson and Preston as your options for right back. You’d also make sure you’ve got more in midfield than Bishop, Mellis, Atkinson and Smith.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:22 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Could do with someone who can play RB and CB now it looks like White is out for the season.

Preston can play right back apparently

Yes, but then someone would then need to take his place in the centre of defence. And Preston is more of a CB than RB.
We desperately need cover for both full back positions. We have survived half a season without it, but we can't cope now that Hayden White is out for the rest of the season. DF obviously knows this, and I am sure that he will take the necessary action - although our hands are tied with no more loan signings.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:27 pm

oldweststander wrote:Preston really?

He's not the answer, and not my suggestion. I was just stating that he can fill in there. I think we need to go out and sign a right back now Hayden will probably be out most of the season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 pm

I've seen that Carolyn (and presumably John) are in the Maldives going by her Facebook post. Does this mean our business is done for this window?
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:Surely blooding youth teamers is better to do it when team playing well than when team are in a dip in form.

There’s a difference between a dead rubber Checkatrade game and a must win games in the league when teams are scrapping for points. I’m not saying never blood youngsters but personally think we’d be taking a risk to not find extra cover if we can move on the likes of Butcher.

Smith has just a signed a new contract extension, so the management think he is good enough.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

part time pete wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Smith has just a signed a new contract extension, so the management think he is good enough.

Never said he wouldn’t be good enough, and it’s great that we are rewarding promising youngsters with contracts, but if you read the article it doesn’t sound to me like he expects to throw him in any time soon.

‘As we progress, we’ll look to develop him in to a player that can play games for the club. We have to make sure we put him in at the right time’

My point is I don’t think we should be relying on atkinson and a youth teamer yet to make a first time appearance in the league as our cover for our 2 central midfielders. An injury to either and we would be lacking in the midfield. This is a serious promotion push, you’ve got to have quality back up that are ready here and now.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 pm

If funds allow I'd make Derby an offer for Elsnik
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Vice President wrote:

Every player has a price, whether its a fee or just getting them off the wages - and I know that they aren't fan favourites but I haven't seen anything to suggest that Butcher and certainly Atkinson are going anywhere. DF has told OSJ and Anderson to look for new clubs, so he would have said the same about those 2 if that's what he wanted to happen. Atkinson in particular has been a go-to cover player for DF recently and he's played more minutes than someone like Danny Rose has in the last few months, and Khan since he returned from injury. I know he's not everyone's favourite, but DF clearly rates him and knows he can do a job for him whether starting or off the bench. The way I see it, those 2 pad out our midfield cover if anything happens.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Tre Cool wrote:I've seen that Carolyn (and presumably John) are in the Maldives going by her Facebook post. Does this mean our business is done for this window?

they are. But Carolyn has definitely taken her phone!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

Stop panicking folks, we have still got enough to get promoted.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:43 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Stop panicking folks, we have still got enough to get promoted.

I think we need a RB. Get Luke O'Neill back, both wing backs with fantastic deliveries and set pieces then.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am

Stag95 wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:Stop panicking folks, we have still got enough to get promoted.

I think we need a RB. Get Luke O'Neill back, both wing backs with fantastic deliveries and set pieces then.

Agreed we defo need a right sided defender. We cant keep Hamilton at RWB for the rest of the season and Atkinson isn't good enough in that position long term.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:13 pm

RB on trial? Anyone gone to this?
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Stag95 wrote:

Reece Brown apparently, brother of Wes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Stag95 wrote:

You mean Luke O’Neill who’s playing week in week out for a League 1 side.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Stag95 wrote:

Reece Brown apparently, brother of Wes.

He played and scored for FGR on Saturday?
James
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum