{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Scunny beat them scoring 5 goals. People are deluded. We're right in the brown stuff.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Scunny beat them scoring 5 goals. People are deluded. We're right in the brown stuff.

Of course we are, we’re in the bottom 2 in December and we’ve won ONE league game.

Anyone who doesn’t think we’re struggling is crazy
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 pm

adamstag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Scunny beat them scoring 5 goals. People are deluded. We're right in the brown stuff.

Of course we are, we’re in the bottom 2 in December and we’ve won ONE league game.

Absolutely no chance of relegation mate we've got Clough, that makes us immune, we'll just sign some players. Easy. Put the kettle on and put your feet up.

:/
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:04 pm

adamstag wrote:

Its a dog fight now, no way around it, yes there's plenty of games .... just casually expecting not to be relegated on this kind of form is absurd.

out of 42 points we've managed 11 with 1 win.

out of 96 available we need another 40-45 points to possibly be safe..... Going to need one hell of a second half of the season to be safe.

Clough has an incredibly hard job on his hands.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:12 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Absolutely no chance of relegation mate we've got Clough, that makes us immune, we'll just sign some players. Easy. Put the kettle on and put your feet up.

:/

On the plus side, if we do get relegated those that are missing Counteh and the sheep will be happy :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Its a dog fight now, no way around it, yes there's plenty of games .... just casually expecting not to be relegated on this kind of form is absurd.

out of 96 available we need another 40-45 points to possibly be safe..... Going to need one hell of a second half of the season to be safe.

We don’t need 40-45 points as that would give us 51-56. 35 would probably see us stay up. In respect of how far we are into the season, we haven’t even played a third of the games yet.

Yes we need to improve but we aren’t in anywhere near the peril some are making out. We will sign a decent striker in January and watch us start to pick the points up. Apart from Barrow we haven’t been smashed and the performances since Coughlan was sacked have been a different class, just have some faith and don’t spook the players.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Just looked at the scores tonight and I knew this thread would be lit up and I knew who would be running around shouting 'I'm a teapot!'

Last 8 games. W4 D3 L1, pity they weren't league games but you can only beat what's in front of you. In those last 8 games we've been the better side for large chunks of 7 of them.

Chill the raspberry out, we aren't going to get relegated.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Most on here think that Clough is going to wave a magic wand, bring half a dozen players in from somewhere, in January, and we'll finish half way up the table. Think there in for a big shock. We need to get a run of winning matches and very soon.
However, given the way we struggled against a bottom 6 National league on Sunday, it doesn't give you alot of hope.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:19 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:3-1 Scunny now

Shows how badly we did against them.

Because we are a poor side...table does not lie.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Sneag wrote:Just looked at the scores tonight and I knew this thread would be lit up and I knew who would be running around shouting 'I'm a teapot!'

Last 8 games. W4 D3 L1, pity they weren't league games but you can only beat what's in front of you. In those last 8 games we've been the better side for large chunks of 7 of them.

Chill the raspberry out, we aren't going to get relegated.

You're a teapot.

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)ᕤ
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 pm

Personally think Southend and one of Grimsby/ Stevenage. Barrow possibly but maybe not because no promoted side has gone straight back down is that right?

I don't think we will be relegated but its a very real possibility if we don't pick up points soon and will become more and more probable the more weeks without a win pass.

Saying that I cant wait to watch each game under Clough, hoping that we batter some one :lol
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:37 pm

This team will as it stands not batter anyone. It's not in them.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Spiritater wrote:This team will as it stands not batter anyone. It's not in them.

When people post comments like this it usually comes back to bite them on the arse. Let's hope it's tomorrow
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Might not be any relegations this year, would be surprised if no clubs go bust.
The league seems very evenly balanced this season.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:This team will as it stands not batter anyone. It's not in them.

When people post comments like this it usually comes back to bite them on the arse. Let's hope it's tomorrow

So looking forward to the 4-0 win then
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Just been reading this. Aresend Whinger and the other gloom merchants, amazing. We have loads of games left to play and I trust Clough to sort it. Stop all this we are relegated stuff, it aint even Crimbo yet. Talking of which been up in loft most of night with Martin sorting out site deco s
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 pm

The One wrote:Just been reading this. Aresend Whinger and the other gloom merchants, amazing. We have loads of games left to play and I trust Clough to sort it. Stop all this we are relegated stuff, it aint even Crimbo yet.

Bottom 2 at Xmas usually means relegation.
I don't get why people on are so confident... No one decent is goin to want to join us in January.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
The One wrote:Just been reading this. Aresend Whinger and the other gloom merchants, amazing. We have loads of games left to play and I trust Clough to sort it. Stop all this we are relegated stuff, it aint even Crimbo yet.

I don't get why people on are so confident... No one decent is goin to want to join us in January.

The confidence comes from the form since Coughlan left, someone put up top we've only lost once in like 8 games . Some the wins haven't been in the league which is annoying, but we can only beat whoever is in front of us.

We've appointed a good experienced manager and I think we are improving over time. People seemed fairly pleased that things were improving before the Harrogate loss, and then there was just a reactionary implosion like there usually is. This is not me saying we're going to be chasing down the play offs, but I think we'll finish mid table which will be good enough for me.

Just to add on, were not getting battered every week either. There was the barrow game, but most games we've played we've only lost by 1 goal. I'd be more worried if we were losing by 2/3/4 goals every week. If we can get Maynard/Cook/Reid firing then we will get shifting up that table
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Oooh go on then, I can’t resist replying to my favourite thing, a cliche passed off as fact, and everyone knows I love a stat.

In the last ten seasons, only 5 of 20 teams in the bottom two at Christmas have been relegated.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Personally think Southend and one of Grimsby/ Stevenage. Barrow possibly but maybe not because no promoted side has gone straight back down is that right?

I don't think we will be relegated but its a very real possibility if we don't pick up points soon and will become more and more probable the more weeks without a win pass.

Saying that I cant wait to watch each game under Clough, hoping that we batter some one :lol

It is right. No promoted side has EVER gone straight down since promotion and relegation between current League Two and Conf National was introduced way back in 1986-87. Closest to return: Macclesfield in 2018-19 three points above Notts County, Forest Green in 2017-18 one point above Barnet. Cheltenham were four points above Hartlepool in 2016-17. York City four points above Barnet (only side to have been relegated THREE times from the EFL) in 2012-13. Details checked.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

Oooh go on then, I can’t resist replying to my favourite thing, a cliche passed off as fact, and everyone knows I love a stat.

In the last ten seasons, only 5 of 20 teams in the bottom two at Christmas have been relegated.

:D :D rinsed
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:

We don’t need 40-45 points as that would give us 51-56. 35 would probably see us stay up. In respect of how far we are into the season, we haven’t even played a third of the games yet.

Yes we need to improve but we aren’t in anywhere near the peril some are making out. We will sign a decent striker in January and watch us start to pick the points up. Apart from Barrow we haven’t been smashed and the performances since Coughlan was sacked have been a different class, just have some faith and don’t spook the players.

In the last ten years or so the second bottom club has had anything from 34 points up to 51. Mostly the second to bottom club has had early to mid 40s. So you’d probably want somewhere around 50 to feel comfortable. That would be 39 points from 32 games to get to 50.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:57 pm

FT: Harrogate Town 2 Scunthorpe United 5 (HT: 1-2)
Possession: 52:48

An excellent win for the Irons against a poor Harrogate side who only had four subs on the bench. Harrogate created nothing until Jack Muldoon equalised from a free kick in the 35th minute. They then did not threaten again until the 79th minute by which time they were 4-1 down. Connor Hall managed to score a consolation goal for them in the 92nd minute when 5-1 down after Lawlor had headed down Josh Falkingham's ball into the box.

Abu Eisa on the left was excellent for Scunthorpe and had a great night apart from the fact that 7 out of 8 of his corners were absolute rubbish. He ran rings round right back Connor Kirby in the first half who was subbed at half time. He then gave Warren Burrell a hard time in the second half. He put in a couple of great crosses early on and Manny Onariase got on the end of one of them at the back post but his header hit the ground and bounced over the bar. In the 16th minute, Abu Eisa's third and only half decent corner bobbled to the far post to centre half Onariase whose shot was scooped off the line by James Belshaw in goal for Harrogate but the linesman flagged it was over the line. Warren Burrell had to make a great clearance to stop Ryan Loft scoring from another Eisa cross. Eisa then combined with Mason O'Malley and John McAtee to get in behind Connor Kirby and run through on goal and slot past Belshaw to put Scunthorpe back in front before half time.

Eisa made it 3-1 from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute after Jack Muldoon handled Alex Gilliead's cross. Gilliead then crossed for Ryan Loft to make it 4-1 after the Harrogate defence stopped running back after thinking a ball had gone out of play for a throw in. Keeper, James Belshaw then miscontrolled a back pass and gifted a goal to sub Aaron Jarvis. A bad night at the office for Harrogate who looked a shadow of the team who had played so well early in the season particularly at Bradford City. They looked like they needed to recharge their batteries but they have a small squad.

Scunthorpe created around ten chances and scored five goals and fully deserved to win. Neil Cox said after the game that they nullified Mark Beck by letting Alfie Beestin drop back from midfield to mark him with the centre halfs dropping off. They then pushed forward and played a high line because they knew he was not going to run in behind them. Surprisingly, Simon Weaver did not bring on Jon Stead off the bench.

MOM: Abu Eisa

Note
The Scunthorpe manager, Neil Cox, has just appointed the Scunthorpe Chairman's 23 year old son, Will Swann, as the club's Chief Scout.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/new ... ief-scout/
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:

In the last ten years or so the second bottom club has had anything from 34 points up to 51. Mostly the second to bottom club has had early to mid 40s. So you’d probably want somewhere around 50 to feel comfortable. That would be 39 points from 32 games to get to 50.

44 points is the average of the 23rd place team over the last ten years. 51 the highest, 34 the lowest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 am

FT: Morecambe 1 Barrow 0 (HT: 1-0)

Morecambe started the game really well and took the lead in the 12th minute when Adam Phillips played a great ball through to Carlos Mendes Gomes for him to score. Centre half Sam Hird was then sent off for Barrow for handball a few minutes later which looked a bit harsh. It took everybody by surprise. The sending off spoilt the game.

Barrow played really well with ten men and Scott Quigley was a real handful all night. The Morecambe commentators (in between cracking jokes) were saying that he was the best player they had played against all season. Barrow had a good spell of pressure in the second half and Dior Angus and Scott Quigley both shot narrowly wide. Matty Platt headed over from a corner. Morecambe started to create more chances late in the game as Barrow pushed forward more and more for an equaliser but in the end they were happy to hang on to three points after having played better against eleven men than ten. They were celebrating at the end that they were in 11th place and 11 points ahead of the Stags in 23rd place.

Morecambe MOM: Carlos Mendes Gomes and Adam Phillips
Barrow MOM: Scott Quigley and Joel Dixon
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum