{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Murray on Stags youth set-up, Boston mistake and his new job

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Murray on Stags youth set-up, Boston mistake and his new job

Postby Chadman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Had a great chat with Adam Murray last week and he spoke warmly about seeing Flitcroft giving the youth set-up importance once more, how it was a mistake to join Boston after Stags, about enjoying passing on his wisdom and life experiences plus his footballing knowledge to the youngsters at Barnsley and how he has now definitely retired after last season's brief comeback!

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9459290

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9459266

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9459245

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9459211
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Murray on Stags youth set-up, Boston mistake and his new

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm

It is important that we remember Adam Murray more for the great player that he was for us, rather than as a disappointing manager.

Most people will remember Matt Green for single handedly getting us out of the conference (which he did in a way) ...... but the real driving force behind the team that season was Adam Murray .... ably supported by Green, Stevenson, Luke Jones, Dempster, Marriot etc. There was a time when Matt Green stopped scoring, and Stevenson & Jones scored the crucial goals - Murray was usually involved in the build up to most of our goals and kept us going right to the end.

I think he is better suited to coaching youth players than being a manager.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:26 pm

We had a special team for that league, Briscoe was magnificent for us as well, for about 3 seasons! If he had a manager like DF(he would get the best out of him physically) he would of gone on to play much higher.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Agree about Briscoe. What a shot he had! He's still playing, but never reached his potential. Too lazy, I think.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:33 pm

lifestags wrote:We had a special team for that league, Briscoe was magnificent for us as well, for about 3 seasons! If he had a manager like DF(he would get the best out of him physically) he would of gone on to play much higher.

Indeed! Briscoe's clever play for the penalty against Wrexham was crucial to our promotion (not to mention some other moments of brilliance).
I think that Briscoe & Stevenson could/should have had better careers post-Mansfield.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Murray wasn't that bad of a manager, don't get me wrong he had to go when he did as we were going no further but he didn't have half the money that Evans had at his disposal and considering that he did a half decent job. Some of his signings on a limited budget were fantastic and are our top players today. Pearce, Benning, Hamilton and Rose come to mind straight away.

I'd welcome Murray back as a coach any day of the week and we should be thankful for what he did for this club he was integral in getting us back into the football league.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Stoney wrote:Murray wasn't that bad of a manager, don't get me wrong he had to go when he did as we were going no further but he didn't have half the money that Evans had at his disposal and considering that he did a half decent job. Some of his signings on a limited budget were fantastic and are our top players today. Pearce, Benning, Hamilton and Rose come to mind straight away.

I'd welcome Murray back as a coach any day of the week and we should be thankful for what he did for this club he was integral in getting us back into the football league.

He did make some great signings, absolutely no-one can deny that. My biggest disappointment was the style his side adopted, whether that was intentional or not, it was a surprise that someone who played the game on the front foot developed a side that didn't. In his initial loan spell with us, his performances were right up there with the likes of Holland and Lowery.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:32 pm

We should take him back as chief scout seeing as his signings were still half the team Evans regulary picked .(even with all the money he had.)

Signings that would make us more money than any of Evans signing I hasten to add.
Rose CJ for just two.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Is it just me or is the Chad website god awful and an near impossible to read on an iPhone
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Adam Murray is a club legend. That word is used too frequently bit in this case it's true.

I too was disappointed how his side evolved into a deeply defensive, slow, static, disjointed bunch.

He could certainly pick a player!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:27 pm

I agree that Rose, Benning, Bennett, Hamilton & Pearce were good signings, but to put things in perspective .... after a year and a half, the overall results & performances weren't good enough, and we were heading for another relegation battle.

Steve Evans' players were poor on an individual basis - However he achieved far better results. Olejnik, Whyte, & Mellis are the only stand-out players from his time here. (Diamond, Mirfin, Anderson, Butcher, Atkinson & Angol were decent players on paper, but didn't deliver).

Flitcroft's signings seem to be 'up there' - (Preston, Bishop, Sweeney, Khan, Walker, Davies are decent players), but we still lack that 20 goal striker.
Having said that, the real difference is that David Flitcroft is getting us to play better football, and right now, we are in a better league position than any of his predecessors.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:02 am

Muzza was an inspirational player for us. Throughout our last two seasons in the Blue Square he had injections in his ankle before every game in order to play.

When he arrived on loan from Derby in 2002 he was pure class, scoring goals regularly.

My favourite memory of Muzza though was in late March 2013. Adam put out an appeal on Stagsnet on a Sunday lunchtime to help clear the pitch of snow. He then spent the rest of Sunday and most of Monday helping supporters clear the snow. He then played on the Tuesday night against Nuneaton, winning man of the match. It was so important to get that game on as we were already playing three times a week in order to fit all our games in and faced the prospect of playing four games in a week to complete our fixtures.

Many players are described as a club legend, but Muzza fully deserves the accolade.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:44 am

remember him as a player not a manager

Good luck Muzza
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:08 am

Vice President wrote:I agree that Rose, Benning, Bennett, Hamilton & Pearce were good signings, but to put things in perspective .... after a year and a half, the overall results & performances weren't good enough, and we were heading for another relegation battle.

Steve Evans' players were poor on an individual basis - However he achieved far better results. Olejnik, Whyte, & Mellis are the only stand-out players from his time here. (Diamond, Mirfin, Anderson, Butcher, Atkinson & Angol were decent players on paper, but didn't deliver).

Flitcroft's signings seem to be 'up there' - (Preston, Bishop, Sweeney, Khan, Walker, Davies are decent players), but we still lack that 20 goal striker.
Having said that, the real difference is that David Flitcroft is getting us to play better football, and right now, we are in a better league position than any of his predecessors.

A bit of an unfair comparison as Murray had nowhere near the wage budget of the other two. Otherwise, a fair summary.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:21 am

Captain Cunno wrote:We should take him back as chief scout seeing as his signings were still half the team Evans regulary picked .(even with all the money he had.)

Signings that would make us more money than any of Evans signing I hasten to add.
Rose CJ for just two.

I'd agree with that , he's got an eye for a good player
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Chris M wrote:Muzza was an inspirational player for us. Throughout our last two seasons in the Blue Square he had injections in his ankle before every game in order to play.

When he arrived on loan from Derby in 2002 he was pure class, scoring goals regularly.

My favourite memory of Muzza though was in late March 2013. Adam put out an appeal on Stagsnet on a Sunday lunchtime to help clear the pitch of snow. He then spent the rest of Sunday and most of Monday helping supporters clear the snow. He then played on the Tuesday night against Nuneaton, winning man of the match. It was so important to get that game on as we were already playing three times a week in order to fit all our games in and faced the prospect of playing four games in a week to complete our fixtures.

Many players are described as a club legend, but Muzza fully deserves the accolade.

Totally agree - Muzza was the embodiment of that hungry, gritty, promotion-winning campaign. Even though his legs had gone, the battling influence he provided on pitch certainly lifted the players and fans. Defeat was something he would never comprehend, organising the players up until the final whistle. Green provided the goals, but Muzza was the heart of that team.

Plus he'll always be a legend for taking the feet from under that gobby Wrexham fan! :lol:

It's a shame there isn't something in the ground dedicated to him - maybe they could name the treatment room after Muzza, from all his fond memories there? ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:remember him as a player not a manager

Good luck Muzza

Exactly and throw big George Foster in that category both legends
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Vice President wrote:It is important that we remember Adam Murray more for the great player that he was for us, rather than as a disappointing manager.

Most people will remember Matt Green for single handedly getting us out of the conference (which he did in a way) ...... but the real driving force behind the team that season was Adam Murray .... ably supported by Green, Stevenson, Luke Jones, Dempster, Marriot etc. There was a time when Matt Green stopped scoring, and Stevenson & Jones scored the crucial goals - Murray was usually involved in the build up to most of our goals and kept us going right to the end.

I think he is better suited to coaching youth players than being a manager.

That's about right VP.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

It's a shame that some legends sour everything when they go into management:

George Foster was a legend as a player, but isn't so fondly remembered as a manager, as with Adam Murray. George Foster was a more successful manager than Adam Murray, but he still blotted his copybook (with two relegations, albeit from a higher league).

Stuart Boam is so bitter about his time as manager that he doesn't want anything to do with the club anymore - allegedly.

Only Peter Morris succeeded in being a great player and a successful manager. He took us higher than any other manager, and yet strangely we don't seem to give him very much kudos. I guess, its because his success was built on his predecessor Dave Smith's team, and the fact that he quickly jumped ship when we were struggling in the second tier, which culminated in relegation. - Although that might not have been down to poor management per se.

The moral of this story is ... if you are a playing legend and want to be remembered fondly, then think twice about managing your old club!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby milne6 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Vice President wrote:It's a shame that some legends sour everything when they go into management:

George Foster was a legend as a player, but isn't so fondly remembered as a manager, as with Adam Murray. George Foster was a more successful manager than Adam Murray, but he still blotted his copybook (with two relegations, albeit from a higher league).

Stuart Boam is so bitter about his time as manager that he doesn't want anything to do with the club anymore - allegedly.

Only Peter Morris succeeded in being a great player and a successful manager. He took us higher than any other manager, and yet strangely we don't seem to give him very much kudos. I guess, its because his success was built on his predecessor Dave Smith's team, and the fact that he quickly jumped ship when we were struggling in the second tier, which culminated in relegation. - Although that might not have been down to poor management per se.

The moral of this story is ... if you are a playing legend and want to be remembered fondly, then think twice about managing your old club!

i thought jack lester did a great job at chesterfield last season... :lol:
This is a Signature
milne6
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum