{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crowd at Charlton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Crowd at Charlton

Postby part time pete » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm

One for the statto but was last nights attendance the lowest crowd stags have played in front of at a league ground in the FA Cup
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Crowd at Charlton

Postby spanishstag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:12 pm

To be honest ,the fa cup has lost its magic even 3rd or 4th div clubs rest players if it suits them , its a hindrance to the big clubs staying in the prem is much more important ,cant even the last time i watched the final on telly
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 pm

spanishstag wrote:To be honest ,the fa cup has lost its magic even 3rd or 4th div clubs rest players if it suits them , its a hindrance to the big clubs staying in the prem is much more important ,cant even the last time i watched the final on telly

Scrap replays for a start, they're pointless.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm

part time pete wrote:One for the statto but was last nights attendance the lowest crowd stags have played in front of at a league ground in the FA Cup

There would have been good reason for that attendance. Charlton is an absolute ball ache to get too, M1 is shot to bits, People needing a lot of time off work.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:24 pm

There were 291 from Mansfield. The locals just couldn't be bothered to turn up.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:49 pm

spanishstag wrote:To be honest ,the fa cup has lost its magic even 3rd or 4th div clubs rest players if it suits them , its a hindrance to the big clubs staying in the prem is much more important ,cant even the last time i watched the final on telly

Being even more honest, football in general is losing its magic. It’s all about big tv rights and the big clubs. Expanding the European Cup (champions league) to more than the champions. Expanding the World Cup etc. Football and the crowds were more exciting not so long ago imo, and it will get worse. Ironically the Stags are getting better though, which is ok by me!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Agree thought that, for a club like Charlton would have expected around 3,000 plus regardless of us being low opposition and take my hat off to the Stags who went in all that wind rain and traffic.
Well done the faithful.

Maybe we should ask JR if you could have like a Café Nero Loyalty card and get it stamped by each away ground and when full of say 6 games u get one free overnight stay for attending one of the long distance games to help u recover for your return to work the next day.

sorry but I just don't buy the overnight stops at our level and wont mention it again as I will become boring if not already.

COYS
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm

The home supporters do have a boycott because of their owners which partly explains their apathy.

They do get around 10,000 or more for league games but had 740 for their Checkatrade v Swansea last week
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:07 pm

sw19stag wrote:There were 291 from Mansfield. The locals just couldn't be bothered to turn up.
Full marks to the Stags fans that attended.

But very poor attendance from home fans.

It will have cost our club money.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:35 pm

The referee from the home leg should be sued for loss of income.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Kernow wrote:The referee from the home leg should be sued for loss of income.

'sorry our referees are inept and can't do their jobs properly, you don't get anything to make up for two mistakes
in two games but.. were really sorry we promise'

that's what we'll get :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Well done all the stags fans for doing that horrid trip . I was at work and had radio on and the stags fans could be heard singing..well done to you all
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:29 pm

The 2 grumpy old men stayed overnight and it was a 30 minute walk from our hotel to the ground in persistent rain. I'm sure the weather kept some home fans away. There was only one group of fans making noise during the game. Well done to all those who went back last night you must have got back at silly o'clock
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:07 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree thought that, for a club like Charlton would have expected around 3,000 plus regardless of us being low opposition and take my hat off to the Stags who went in all that wind rain and traffic.
Well done the faithful.

Maybe we should ask JR if you could have like a Café Nero Loyalty card and get it stamped by each away ground and when full of say 6 games u get one free overnight stay for attending one of the long distance games to help u recover for your return to work the next day.

sorry but I just don't buy the overnight stops at our level and wont mention it again as I will become boring if not already.

COYS

I'll say it again to disagree Tilly. What level do you think is necessary to warrant an overnight stop?
They are professional footballers and need the rest, people saying "well I worked nights all last week etc, they don't know they're born " etc, it just doesn't wash anymore and having had footballers in my family, and even cricketers who have bowled or batted for hours, fatigue stays in the legs , Lactic acid build up for one thing.
A three hour trip home to then get in their cars to drive home after, they'd seize up. That's why they stay, they need the best preparation for Sat. Lincoln will have their feet up you can bet that. Cowling will be rubbing his hands at us playing last night. If we get beat on Saturday we at least won't be able to blame fatigue too much.
I remember years ago at The Swallows hotel in South Normanton, Derby used to send their players for steak eggs toast and tea, then bed for the afternoon. They were a League One team under Arthur Cox.
I'm glad we do it properly and professionally. If it gives us only 5% extra on Sat it's worth every quid it cost.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:10 pm

I should have finished the Derby analogy by saying the afternoon naps and food were for home matches in midweek, and this was what 20 years ago?
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 pm

What’s the issue with stopping over ? How can it be anything other than positive?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm

part time pete wrote:One for the statto but was last nights attendance the lowest crowd stags have played in front of at a league ground in the FA Cup

we played Wrexham in a 2nd replay at Villa Park (neutral venue) in 1975 in front of a smaller crowd (1,470).

We have played several FA Cup games in recent years in front of smaller crowds, at non-league grounds (one at Forest Green, which was then non-league, and is now league).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

we played Wrexham in a 2nd replay at Villa Park (neutral venue) in 1975 in front of a smaller crowd (1,470).

We have played several FA Cup games in recent years in front of smaller crowds, at non-league grounds (one at Forest Green, which was then non-league, and is now league).

Statto out statto'd by another statto :lol:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Chander Lear wrote:

There would have been good reason for that attendance. Charlton is an absolute ball ache to get too, M1 is shot to bits, People needing a lot of time off work.

I actually thought the same but found it a doddle. My mate drove down and it took him 2hrs 25 minutes to get there. Me and 6 mates went on the train and had a similar experience. Newark to Kings X then St Pancras direct to Charlton. 3 minute walk from Charlton Station to the turnstiles. Left at 4pm and was in the Rose of Denmark Pub by 6:45pm
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:

I actually thought the same but found it a doddle. My mate drove down and it took him 2hrs 25 minutes to get there. Me and 6 mates went on the train and had a similar experience. Newark to Kings X then St Pancras direct to Charlton. 3 minute walk from Charlton Station to the turnstiles. Left at 4pm and was in the Rose of Denmark Pub by 6:45pm

Yes ok in Thunderbird One. I drive regular to Bucks and used to live there and it can take me that to get to MK junction 14. Does your mate live Northampton because he did not do it from Mansfield in that time . I also used to live London btw. He would have to have done 70mph and some for whole journey!!!!

Mansfield to Charlton is 177 miles so he avoided M1 roads works Notts, and drove through round London at 70mph? Like i said Thunderbird One :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:02 am

Charlton are in protest against their owners don’t forget. Can’t blame them for not turning up.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:12 am

So they get 1600 at League games then?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 am

Spiritater wrote:So they get 1600 at League games then?

No but I’d imagine a large amount have season tickets, why would they pay extra money to an owner they don’t like? I’m not saying everyone didn’t attend due to this but there would be a large amount out there didn’t go for this reason
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:26 am

Foresttownstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:So they get 1600 at League games then?

No but I’d imagine a large amount have season tickets, why would they pay extra money to an owner they don’t like? I’m not saying everyone didn’t attend due to this but there would be a large amount out there didn’t go for this reason

they've been getting around 10,000 in the league. I was told the reason for the low crowd was a) Bowyer was consistently saying he was going to play the side he plays in the Checkatrade Trophy, b) the terrible weather took another 500 off the gate as they were actually expecting 2,500. Nothing to do with protests.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:17 am

I was surprised how easy it was to drive down there.

We went A1, A14, M11, A12, Blackwall tunnel and it only took 2hrs 55 mins to get back on Tuesday night

Going down it only took just about 3 and half hours in rush hour traffic
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum