{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:40 pm

The original poster says he's having a debate with a lot of Lincoln fans who think it is a derby....

Maybe because they've had a massive influx of new support since their promotion and FA Cup runs, it's the newer fans just trying to create a rivalry?

All the longer serving fans know it isn't a derby as such to them.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm

They've reinvented the phrase 'Leeds would have taken more'.... :lol:

Massive club, huge.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

If it's not a Derby or there is no rivalry please explain why we are kicking off at 1 pm ?
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Chimney wrote:If it's not a Derby or there is no rivalry please explain why we are kicking off at 1 pm ?

Stupid police decision due to a sell-out game and Mansfield massive following that worries the police!! Nothing to do with rivalry and derby.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I remember having a discussion with a Lincoln fan I worked with about 10 years ago. He said it was a derby and a rivalry, I’d class it more as a rivalry in that the teams are fairly closely competing for the same goal.

I feel stronger about the rivalry these days, I think it’s down to attitude driven by the cowpats. Also a little due to the ex players being there and wanting to prove us wrong about letting them go.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:43 pm

The derby perhaps means more to them as Mansfield is a similar distance as Grimsby and Scunthorpe so we are one of their most local teams. I too have only come to dislike the club in the last few seasons for reasons most have mentioned. I really hope the bubble burst soon. Hopefully the catalyst for that can be our victory on Saturday.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Warsop Stag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Big yella wrote:Derby, rivalry, nah your a pi55 stop on the way to Skeg Vegas.

:lol:
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:00 pm

It’s a derby match but not a massive one and not one I look out for.

They’ve only filled the Away end once at FM since I’ve been watching since 1998.

Maybe there new fans are just clinging onto there first tastes of derby match football.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 pm

It never used to be but it's turning into one. The same thing is happening with City and Liverpool. When two teams are competing at the top and are so close there's bound to be a bit extra to it.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby RickyJ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 pm

We have a great lump of lard in Kings Mill Hospital - please feel free to take him back. Ta very muchly.
Sarifo, Sarifo, Sarifo!!!
RickyJ
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Lincoln are definitely local rivals.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Think the holdsowrth managing both sides and then the cup games helped add something to it.

We’ve only got one proper derby as have they, we aren’t each other’s main derby.

It’s 3rd after those across the m1 and county.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Rotherham, Donny and Lincoln all on par for me. Not proper rivalries but a bit of edge to the games.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Local fierce rivals for me are Chesterfield closely followed by County.

Forest would be third

Lincoln’s probably on par with the Doncaster and Rotherham’s of this world.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby kaftanimp » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Derby - No.. Rivalry - yes..

It saddens me a little to see the hate directed towards the Imps since we have enjoyed a little success just lately. There was none of that when we were rubbish, and not considered a threat to anyone. I've had to stomach 41 years of kelter before these last 2 years of relative success... but let's not forget, we are still only in Division 4 in reality. I've never seen the Imps in Division 2 (the Championship in new money) unlike you Stags.

I remember Mansfield pitted against Spurs in a League clash years ago, yet there was no hatred directed your way, more an envy that we could not reach that level. I'm not one to shout out about us being World Beaters with a God given right to win every game but I'm sure as heck going to enjoy it while it lasts. There are always going to be supporters who shout the odds, i read this forum quite often and your fan base is no different to any other fan base - ours included.

I'm long enough in the tooth to know the Cowleys won't be here forever too - however, just like the Radfords at Mansfield, they are laying the foundations for sustainable football at Sincil Bank. A new training ground and youth set up that has been funded by our Cup run a couple of years back. Previous managers and Board members would have fritted that away into a black hole.

I'm looking forward to Saturday with trepidation especially as this game has family pride at stake for me, nothing should be taken for granted by either side. There will be supporters on both sides who will think it will be a walk in the park I'm sure, but most of us know it'll be a hugely competitive game between 2 committed sides. Let's hope it's a credit to Division 4 and that come May we are BOTH in the top 3 so we can continue our new found rivalry next season.

Up the Imps
kaftanimp
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 pm

The Sincil Bank Rehablitation Centre for Former Stags!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29735&hilit=Sincil+Bank
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:20 am

kaftanimp wrote:Derby - No.. Rivalry - yes..

It saddens me a little to see the hate directed towards the Imps since we have enjoyed a little success just lately. There was none of that when we were rubbish, and not considered a threat to anyone. I've had to stomach 41 years of kelter before these last 2 years of relative success... but let's not forget, we are still only in Division 4 in reality. I've never seen the Imps in Division 2 (the Championship in new money) unlike you Stags.

I remember Mansfield pitted against Spurs in a League clash years ago, yet there was no hatred directed your way, more an envy that we could not reach that level. I'm not one to shout out about us being World Beaters with a God given right to win every game but I'm sure as heck going to enjoy it while it lasts. There are always going to be supporters who shout the odds, i read this forum quite often and your fan base is no different to any other fan base - ours included.

I'm long enough in the tooth to know the Cowleys won't be here forever too - however, just like the Radfords at Mansfield, they are laying the foundations for sustainable football at Sincil Bank. A new training ground and youth set up that has been funded by our Cup run a couple of years back. Previous managers and Board members would have fritted that away into a black hole.

I'm looking forward to Saturday with trepidation especially as this game has family pride at stake for me, nothing should be taken for granted by either side. There will be supporters on both sides who will think it will be a walk in the park I'm sure, but most of us know it'll be a hugely competitive game between 2 committed sides. Let's hope it's a credit to Division 4 and that come May we are BOTH in the top 3 so we can continue our new found rivalry next season.

Up the Imps
I don't think any of us will think it's going to be a "walk in the park", especially after our result tonight.

I think our rivalries started in earnest after we beat you in the two game FA cup with Liverpool being the prize for the winners. After that game every match up since has been very important to both sides. The recent check a trade game and the words from both managers after the game is testimony to that.

Saturday's game is massive to both clubs. I will be delighted if we get all three points, as they will be the best three points gained so far this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am

Chimney wrote:If it's not a Derby or there is no rivalry please explain why we are kicking off at 1 pm ?

I think it's to do with the fact that some of our fans can't control their emotions after a shandy or two.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 am

Same reason that Grimsby home and away kick off at 1pm or do you class them as rivals as well?
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:58 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Local fierce rivals for me are Chesterfield closely followed by County.

Forest would be third

Lincoln’s probably on par with the Doncaster and Rotherham’s of this world.

Forest :lol: :lol: :lol: We haven't played them in a competitive fixture for nearly 20 years, never been in the same division as them (prepared to be corrected on this). There is no 'fierce' rivalry there.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am

ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:16 pm

kaftanimp wrote:Derby - No.. Rivalry - yes..

Up the Imps

I think those of us with perspective are not hating Lincoln at all, you will always get the ones who "hate" everyone else, but don't confuse this forum with reality, a mistake many make :lol: I also wouldn't say the rivalry is new found though, whilst it is not our most fierce local derby, I have always considered yourselves, Millers and Donny as local rivals, just one step down from Direites and County. For me this has more meaning now I live just outside Lincoln and work with loads of Imps fans. I hope you all go home sad on Sat though and will be wearing my Stags top in Sainsburys on Tritton Road if we win!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:25 pm

I hate the Cowleys. Especially the lead one. Scruffy little weirdo.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I hate the Cowleys. Especially the lead one. Scruffy little weirdo.

He speaks very highly of you. Whether you dislike them or not (I can't quite think why you would hate them to be honest) what you must be able to do is respect the fantastic job they have done at Lincoln.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Like a few others have already stated,

Spireites, easily by far our biggest rivals

Notts Co, whilst they're our 2nd rivals it's nowhere near the Spireites

Then the Imps are in the same list as Donny, Millers, Blades & Owls.

I don't mind the Imps having a bit of glory, as they've had more years in the Conference than we did.

My memories of Imps matches include,
Winning 1-0 at Sincil Bank in the last minute/injury time in the late 70's, I think the scorer was Dennis Martin following a corner (stood on the terrace at the side of the pitch).
Winning 4-3 in the FA Cup at Field Mill in the 80's, when the Imps were in the Conference.
Winning 6-2 at Field Mill in the 90's, with Iffy Onuora coming on as sub and scoring a hat-trick (I think in about 7 minutes)
Winning 4-1 at Sincil Bank in our promotion winning 01/02 season
Matt Rhead's injury time equaliser, 3-3, at Sincil Bank in the FA Cup about 5/6 years ago, of course we won the replay then played Liverpool
Matt Green's injury time winner at Sincil Bank in our Conference Champions season
Last seasons 1-0 win at Sincil Bank, your 1st home defeat for about a year

And lastly, we were relying on the Imps to do us a favour in the last game of the 91/92 season, to gain promotion we had to beat Rochdale (2-1 :D ) and The Imps beat our promotion rivals Blackpool (2-0 :D )

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum