{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Striker coach

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Striker coach

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Yesterday was a totally bizarre football match, we had enough chances to score 10, were so wasteful it’s unreal, score a belter then end going defensive against 10 men, somehow we went more defensive when they were down a man.

If we address the forward options we’ve got a top 3 finish potentially - one of Danny rose and Craig Davies needs going in January - or at least a new face in.

Someone with a little experience upfront wouldn’t go amiss - Ned Kelly coming in January time the last time we went up is the exact kinda forward we need.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:it depends who they are practising against in training. if they are up against Pearce, Sweeney and Preston they probably wont have much practice at shooting.

I will probably get shot down for this but I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with our strike force. Just keepers making good saves. A few times they have been horrible misses but alot of our attempts on target have drew good saves. Doesn't mean we are terrible at finishing just their keeper got a touch on the ball which was enough.

Really, you didn't go to Macclesfield, Tranmere, Bury, Cambridge, barn door springs to mind

I watched them. We are league 2, strikers at this level miss opportunities all the time. If they didn't then managers will be looking for a 40 goal a season striker. fact is only the top scorers in each league come close to averaging 1 goal in every 2 games. Still loads left to play. Look at Walker, 5 games ago he hadn't scored in a while then he scores 5 in 5.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:47 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:it depends who they are practising against in training. if they are up against Pearce, Sweeney and Preston they probably wont have much practice at shooting.

I will probably get shot down for this but I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with our strike force. Just keepers making good saves. A few times they have been horrible misses but alot of our attempts on target have drew good saves. Doesn't mean we are terrible at finishing just their keeper got a touch on the ball which was enough.

Really, you didn't go to Macclesfield, Tranmere, Bury, Cambridge, barn door springs to mind

I watched them. We are league 2, strikers at this level miss opportunities all the time. If they didn't then managers will be looking for a 40 goal a season striker. fact is only the top scorers in each league come close to averaging 1 goal in every 2 games. Still loads left to play. Look at Walker, 5 games ago he hadn't scored in a while then he scores 5 in 5.

That's not what you said, you intimated they we're doing well but GKs were saving everything. I just pointed out the opposite and their shooting was wayward
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm

adamstag wrote:Yesterday was a totally bizarre football match, we had enough chances to score 10, were so wasteful it’s unreal, score a belter then end going defensive against 10 men, somehow we went more defensive when they were down a man.

If we address the forward options we’ve got a top 3 finish potentially - one of Danny rose and Craig Davies needs going in January - or at least a new face in.

Someone with a little experience upfront wouldn’t go amiss - Ned Kelly coming in January time the last time we went up is the exact kinda forward we need.

the reason we had to defend more when they were down to 10 is because they were throwing more men forward, they had nothing to lose at 1-0 down and they kept having long throws into the box as well. port vale were hardly a threat to our goal though.

if we'd have continued attacking and conceded there would be an outrage on here on why we didn't drop deeper
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

We don't need a full-time striker coach, but maybe we could get some ex-pro's who were clinical finishers to come and have a few sessions with our strikers. People like: Alan Shearer, Defoe, Crouch, ......... or more realistically the likes of: Phil Stant, Wilkinson, and a host of other ex-league 2 proven goal scorers - to spend a few hours with our strikers.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That's not what you said, you intimated they we're doing well but GKs were saving everything. I just pointed out the opposite and their shooting was wayward

It's a mixture of both. I said I don't "necessarily" think something is wrong. I was pointing out there is times where it's a great save from the keeper or the defender did enough to put the striker off. I don't see much of a problem at present. It's a results based business and results have seen us in the play offs, 1 point off third, so no reason to panic yet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Stags sweetheart Micky Boulding scored 1 in 6 & 1 in 3 respectively, during his 2 stints with the club.

I do think our strikeforce could / should sharpen up a wee bit, but likewise i'm equally delighted to see we have a midfield capable of netting a few. If we can improve our set pieces it removes the pressure on our strikeforce even further.
These 2 aspects are final pieces in the puzzle, and have possibly been left till the end after sorting the rest of the team formation / tactics out?
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Didn't we have a striker coach is Karl Hawley? Didn't make much difference to Green missing sitters.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Our problem is not so much hitting the target ( we have 2nd most shots on target at a good percentage-39%) but scoring from those chances. We only score from 1 in 4 shots on target which ranks us in the bottom 7 in the division. They are not all difficult chances either so we need to be more clinical/composed with those chances. Some of that will come with actually scoring a bit more which will make the strikers more relaxed rather than rushing chances.
We have scored 4 or 5 less goals than the ‘expected goals’ from the positions we have had shots from. Personally I think we should have had a few more than that!

Incidentally Lincoln and Exeter are the top 2 most clinical finishers. Despite having far fewer chances they get more on target and score almost 1 in 2 (45%) of shots on target. MK are equally as ‘wasteful’ as us and Bury and Tranmere score almost 1 in 3 (32%) of their shots on target. Colchester score 1 in 2.5.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Where do you get your stats from Halifax?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum