{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Postby Jimstag » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I missed the vote but would have gone hotel. Like many have suggested I’d be taking a cost vs benefit approach, I’d expect the hotel would allow us to open up a new revenue stream and we’d be able to invest in some of our club facilities.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 pm

As an interim measure and to raise capacity, would it not be a good idea, to extend the north and south stands to there proper full width, and not the cut down versions we have now, thanks to Haslam.
Think they were shortened by 3-4 metres either side. This would give an increase of between 1-2000, without a massive outlay, which would probably be enough for the next couple of seasons.
You could also build some sort of segregation into North stand, so that if it was a small away following, half the stand could be given to the Stags. I believe this it what Lincoln City do.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 am

Anyone know when we will find out what gets constructed on first ?
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Anyone know when we will find out what gets constructed on first ?

we don't know. John and Carolyn are thinking about it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:Anyone know when we will find out what gets constructed on first ?

we don't know. John and Carolyn are thinking about it.

Appreciate it Martin.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am

They need to fully engage the council with a full and comprehensive plan, not think about it as individual piecemeal developments. This is asset management, not just a simple demolition/rebuild.

The council could assist in CPO of the houses, with a view that a net increase of housing is provided on site with some higher density living to allow for a better bishop st stand and the residences to be rebuilt while uplifting the look of the area and meeting the aspirations of the club. It all comes down to viability but it should be looked at.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:53 pm

on the video, Carolyn says they have been speaking to the council about Bishop St.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:They need to fully engage the council with a full and comprehensive plan, not think about it as individual piecemeal developments. This is asset management, not just a simple demolition/rebuild.

The council could assist in CPO of the houses, with a view that a net increase of housing is provided on site with some higher density living to allow for a better bishop st stand and the residences to be rebuilt while uplifting the look of the area and meeting the aspirations of the club. It all comes down to viability but it should be looked at.

Its not our asset till next March with last payment to Haslam ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 am

Hotel should be the priority. One brings in money and one doesn’t.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am

Is anyone else sceptical as to how successful a hotel in Mansfield can be? As a town we're not really a tourist or business hotbed are we?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:55 am

There is definitely space for one chain hotel, but I’m unsure about any more.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Is anyone else sceptical as to how successful a hotel in Mansfield can be? As a town we're not really a tourist or business hotbed are we?

Maybe because we do not have hotels and local people slag the place off? Just a thought.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:03 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Is anyone else sceptical as to how successful a hotel in Mansfield can be? As a town we're not really a tourist or business hotbed are we?

Maybe because we do not have hotels and local people slag the place off? Just a thought.

There's not really much to come to Mansfield for is my point, at the moment anyway. We don't really have any unique leisure or shopping facilities, or landmarks/museums which are particularly appealing. Don't get me wrong, I love Mansfield and would hate to move from the place, but there's not much to attract outsiders in.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am

As i have mentioned on a few times on this forum... Its not about all tourism on its own. We have shed loads of business parks in the area.... Pine lodge is packed all the time because hotels are all out of town. For example, my company alone in the icentre has about 10people a week who need hotels (customers and home workers who come to the office). They all have to go to the premier inn near Junction 28. This is just my company alone. I am sure there are loads of companies like this in the area.

Offer corporate rates on rooms and bang you're onto a winner. Fortunately for JR, businesses tend not to stay in the town center Travelodge due to parking etc, therefore one call is ideally located.

Then you have people that want to visit for the football, visiting friends and family. All of which currently go to Travelodge in sutton or small places like Mansfield lodge.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:

There's not really much to come to Mansfield for is my point, at the moment anyway. We don't really have any unique leisure or shopping facilities, or landmarks/museums which are particularly appealing. Don't get me wrong, I love Mansfield and would hate to move from the place, but there's not much to attract outsiders in.

Except for it being in the middle of Sherwood Forest !!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 am

Chander Lear wrote:

As i have mentioned on a few times on this forum... Its not about all tourism on its own. We have shed loads of business parks in the area.... Pine lodge is packed all the time because hotels are all out of town. For example, my company alone in the icentre has about 10people a week who need hotels (customers and home workers who come to the office). They all have to go to the premier inn near Junction 28. This is just my company alone. I am sure there are loads of companies like this in the area.

Offer corporate rates on rooms and bang you're onto a winner. Fortunately for JR, businesses tend not to stay in the town center Travelodge due to parking etc, therefore one call is ideally located.

Then you have people that want to visit for the football, visiting friends and family. All of which currently go to Travelodge in sutton or small places like Mansfield lodge.

If you're right then fantastic.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:

Do people who visit Sherwood Forest really stay the night though?

I'd have though the big money makers for hotels are things like gigs/concerts, and people on night out, none of which Mansfield is famous for. Even if it was, budget hotels would be the likely choice. The One Call hotel does seem more business orientated as Chander says so hopefully the demands is as big as he expects.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am

Most hotels make money from the business traveller, not the leisure one.
For me, I would wait till next May. If we are promoted, go for both, if not go for the hotel
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:41 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:

[b]Do people who visit Sherwood Forest really stay the night though?[/b]

I'd have though the big money makers for hotels are things like gigs/concerts, and people on night out, none of which Mansfield is famous for. Even if it was, budget hotels would be the likely choice. The One Call hotel does seem more business orientated as Chander says so hopefully the demands is as big as he expects.

Lots of foreign tourists japanese etc. So unless they came by Thunderbird one they stay the night, usually at other hotels because we do not have one.

A bad comparison is Milton Keynes (pop about 600k) not a city btw. It has a plethora of hotels inc 10 Premier Inns and an 11th being built. In addition it has Hilton at MK Stadium. Not all those visiting are looking at the famous concrete cows.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am

Again, if you're right then great.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 am

A bad comparison is Milton Keynes (pop about 600k) not a city btw. It has a plethora of hotels inc 10 Premier Inns and an 11th being built. In addition it has Hilton at MK Stadium. Not all those visiting are looking at the famous concrete cows.[/quote]

MK is a different kettle of fish... Piss easy commute to London on the train for work or leisure. 30mins, with a huge saving on hotel compared to central london (at a guess). MK is full of people who just live there for work during the week.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

The company I work for would Like this. Businessmen from around the world have to stay outside town. This would be close to the company and ideal.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Some people might find it unlikely but I know of people coming for business from America and Italy who have to stay out of town one or twice a year too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:39 pm

The other argument is that if you never build a hotel in Mansfield, then no-one will ever stay.

I see what Musings is saying though. Suppose maybe if a hotel is built, it will encourage more events to happen in and around the town. Although, knowing our council, probably not.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm down on "business" from Scotland with 3 or 4 pals on a regular basis be it shooting or visiting Agri events in and around the surrounding Notts/Derbys area and a hotel in the town would get a big thumbs up from me.
When I'm down for matches I stay with family, this isn't possible with a group of us.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum