{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Credit where it's due?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Credit where it's due?

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

I think it's about time some posters on here acknowledged the work David Flitcroft is doing of late. Our record is outstanding and form is good, players seem happy and he's clearly doing something to get top performances out of them, especially the likes of Mellis and the defence. He's shown faith in Walker and CJ and he's allowing Rose the time to come good again.

I saw a question on another thread, "why is Mellis playing so well all of a sudden?". Could be training, fitness, system, players around him, extra motivation or all of the above, but they all come from the manager.

If people are going to slate him when we are losing (or drawing) then your opinions would have a lot more credibility if you praised him when we were winning. Also, some apologies to Mr.Radford please. Some suggested he's got the wrong man and recruitment wasn't his forte. Well everything I've seen of Flitcroft so far says otherwise. Stylish, hard to beat football and the results are now coming. What more do people want? Let's get fully behind him now and we'll be unstoppable! Up the stags.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Credit where it's due?

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 am

Agree Paris he deserves credit. He's clearly getting something out of Mellis having worked with him before.

I would counter it slightly by saying we have only beaten two teams in the top half so I'm not getting too excited yet, and even they (Newport and Carlisle) are teams which I don't think will finish as high as they currently are. But as you say we have only lost one so hopefully can continue to progress.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 am

I think most who have criticised him are getting behind him?

We look like we have a plan B now which got us the 3 points last night!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 am

The way we are so fluid changing formations is down to the management - we was missing that early in the season to be fair but it’s clearly been worked on.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 am

We've played 5 of the top 6, lost 1, won 1 and drawn 3. Lincoln to come soon and that will be the real test, but I think we have great momentum and we're finding ways to avoid defeat ever game. We were moaning about losing leads not long ago, but last to games we've come from behind to draw and win, which takes some character. Team spirit must be really good atm.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 am

Conker wrote:The way we are so fluid changing formations is down to the management - we was missing that early in the season to be fair but it’s clearly been worked on.

Definitely. I expect 442 to be kept for when we're chasing a goal. 532 has been solid for us so far and when we went 2 in the middle last night we looked stretched and the game opened up.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am

ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:The way we are so fluid changing formations is down to the management - we was missing that early in the season to be fair but it’s clearly been worked on.

Definitely. I expect 442 to be kept for when we're chasing a goal. 532 has been solid for us so far and when we went 2 in the middle last night we looked stretched and the game opened up.

532 has been solid, hence only losing 1 game this season but I disagree we looked stretched in the second half. Did Grimsby even have a shot in the second half? The change to a flat back 4 made us more solid and we seemed less susceptible to counter attacks like in the first half.

It was a great move by DF. (taking your advice in your first post)
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am

I don't mean to the point where it caused us any problems. Grimsby's ineptitude and our defensive qualities saw to that. I just mean that it was a more open game. We were almost playing 424 with Mellis and Bish having to cover a huge area in the middle of the park. It meant that when Grimsby broke, they had time and space to run into. A better team would have maybe made more of that situation, but then we might not have committed so many forward against a better team. Either way, it was a great move and the right subs from Flicker.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am

Even last night, which was not our best performance by a long chalk, we looked so good at times, we played the ball through midfield, not over, we got the ball wide, Benning (who I thought had one of his better games) overlapped CJ and all in all we just look a very, very good footballing side. Hand on heart, that is the first time I can say that for well over a decade.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

We do have a problem getting players in the box if Mal or CJ don’t quickly whip it in mind. One of our strikers always has to go wide to support and we end up with no proper options.

It’s all a work in progress though, we are still creating loads of chances and we need to improve hugely on finishing. Keep CJ on that left, the chances are he’s going to create a goal most games if he’s on form.

Slight concern re Matt Preston, he’s not really got the touch and passing ability to play how we do, he’s clearly a good defender but I’m not sure he’s entirely suited to this team at the moment.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am

Rob wrote:Even last night, which was not our best performance by a long chalk, we looked so good at times, we played the ball through midfield, not over, we got the ball wide, Benning (who I thought had one of his better games) overlapped CJ and all in all we just look a very, very good footballing side. Hand on heart, that is the first time I can say that for well over a decade.

Completely agree. Still think it's going to take time to get the fans on side. Some around me in the QLE just don't seem to grasp that we are going to try and keep the ball & work an opening rather than lumping it into the box, but it will come no doubt.

Really enjoying watching us at the moment too, becoming quite enjoyable.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 am

Preston was miles off it last night but think he can play the system fine in my view. I expected more jumping on the 442 wagon to be fair but 532 works for us and we are harder to break down in that in the main.

Absolute credit to the manager last night though Preston off it and they where just going to time waste and kill the game if they could but he acted swiftly and changed it and they didn't know what day it was. We definitely looked more stretched with 2 in the middle but they didn't have the quality to exploit it.

Bishop is incredible by the way how much work does he get through?
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:39 am

I don't think people can be blamed for doubting DF when we were drawing too many games and didn't look like a solid, goalscoring team. But, what I like about DF is his ability to stick with a plan knowing it will come to fruition (the formation, the style of play, the playing of walker) whilst also understanding that we do need to switch up formation if needed.

I have to say, I think DF's trust in Tyler Walker has been fantastic. He's missed sitters, he's looked disinterested but the guy is oozing confidence now and I do think that is down to DF's man management skills. If you watch the interview with TW after the game, he looked absolutely disappointed when he said he should've got 3-4.

Last night, we were a little slow out the block in the first half. Grimsby never threatened but they zipped it around a little more than I thought they would. Maybe we had a touch of heavy legs after a fixture backlog but the changes DF made were spot on and look what happened; we controlled the game, we continually exploited that weakness of their right back and won.

It's a long season and a good league. But we're unbeaten in 11, we're playing some beautiful football and manager that I'm proud of that I feel can be here a long time. After last seasons Steve Evans show I think we're making good progress.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Beano » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 pm

We also have more points after 17 games than last season with the fat Scotsman ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Beano wrote:We also have more points after 17 games than last season with the fat Scotsman ;)

Which all the naysayers seem to be conveniently ignoring.

Some on here need to man up and admit their criticism was hasty and ill founded.

They won’t though
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Beano wrote:We also have more points after 17 games than last season with the fat Scotsman ;)
And more importantly we seem to have a settled side.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

I think the signs are promising with the man management skills Flitcroft clearly has. Rose will be a big challenge given their history, his off-field issues, and current drought, but we know he can do it. I'd like to see Davies given more help too - he looked off the pace - maybe a lack of game-time to gel with the others. And it was great to see Graham get some minutes too.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:48 pm

It is getting to the point where I’m starting to think I might be wrong, for the good of the club, players and fans I hope that continues.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 pm

adamstag wrote:It is getting to the point where I’m starting to think I might be wrong, for the good of the club, players and fans I hope that continues.

Adam you were always wrong ,this man is gonna take us well up ,in fact i think he is gonna be the right man for a few seasons yet ,its just a feeling
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:11 pm

spanishstag wrote:
adamstag wrote:It is getting to the point where I’m starting to think I might be wrong, for the good of the club, players and fans I hope that continues.

Adam you were always wrong ,this man is gonna take us well up ,in fact i think he is gonna be the right man for a few seasons yet ,its just a feeling

Well there was a long period of time where it was justified, but it’s why I’m not a chairman which I’m sure some would be pleased about.

Last week is the one that’s impressed me, won a tricky game 3-0 against Crewe who had a great record at home, stealing a point at Cheltenham when we were really not that clever but stuck in, then overturning a deficit last night against Grimsby, however poor they were
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 pm

adamstag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Well there was a long period of time where it was justified, but it’s why I’m not a chairman which I’m sure some would be pleased about.

Last week is the one that’s impressed me, won a tricky game 3-0 against Crewe who had a great record at home, stealing a point at Cheltenham when we were really not that clever but stuck in, then overturning a deficit last night against Grimsby, however poor they were

Fair do's Adam, none of us know more than our over opinionated rants on here really ;)

I guess at the time it felt justified, but such a fundamental change of footballing philosophy was always going to require patience to see if it would pay off.

I think most agreed we weren't playing well, just not the habitual threads and posts. There's making a point, and there's doing it with the frequency of Oliver Reed visiting the bar after hearing last orders being rung! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I've been critical. The football has been decent enough most of the season and very good recently but it's a results business and we all want to see us with something to play for come May.

There's only a handful that haven't been objective and have just kept on at him. There have been a lot of doubters and rightly so. His record is improving but until 2 weeks ago was terrible.

That said I was a bit frustrated at the negativity from a number of fans in the QLE last night. We need to get behind them now and help them push on. Flitcroft praised the fans last night but until we scored the atmosphere was weak and at close quarters quite negative. It's understandable given the lack of wins but now really is the time to get behind them - like we did Coxy post Christmas.

It's really not the time for point scoring on here either. Yes the tables have turned and those who've shown nothing but full faith have the high ground. But a couple of defeats and it will swing back the other way. The criticism from most, myself included, was fair and just.

All the drawing of games could have gone either way. Thankfully it's gone the right way and we've started winning games. All credit to the gaffer and sqaud. Let's hope we can keep this up and push on to cement at least a top 7 finish.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Jamie wrote:I've been critical. The football has been decent enough most of the season and very good recently but it's a results business and we all want to see us with something to play for come May.

There's only a handful that haven't been objective and have just kept on at him. There have been a lot of doubters and rightly so. His record is improving but until 2 weeks ago was terrible.

That said I was a bit frustrated at the negativity from a number of fans in the QLE last night. We need to get behind them now and help them push on. Flitcroft praised the fans last night but until we scored the atmosphere was weak and at close quarters quite negative. It's understandable given the lack of wins but now really is the time to get behind them - like we did Coxy post Christmas.

It's really not the time for point scoring on here either. Yes the tables have turned and those who've shown nothing but full faith have the high ground. But a couple of defeats and it will swing back the other way. The criticism from most, myself included, was fair and just.

All the drawing of games could have gone either way. Thankfully it's gone the right way and we've started winning games. All credit to the gaffer and sqaud. Let's hope we can keep this up and push on to cement at least a top 7 finish.

Do you were wrong then. Thanks for clearing that up
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Jamie wrote:I've been critical. The football has been decent enough most of the season and very good recently but it's a results business and we all want to see us with something to play for come May.

Criticism is fine, I have been critical of DF many times. Constantly demanding for him to be sacked after every game is just stupidity. You get nowhere by sacking managers every 6 months, DF has to be given a chance so it's not having full faith, I think most of us just want to see what, when given time, he can achieve. I also think most of could see progress and could see that we weren't far off - I think we still have a way to go, but I'd say we are better now than we were 12 months ago. You are bang on about criticism at the games, it is just counter productive and is bang opposite of the word support.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum