{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Credit where it's due?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Credit where it's due?

Postby Bradders » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm

At the end of last season I was NOT impressed, and I think that's fair under the circumstances.

Earlier this season I was waiting to be impressed. There have clearly been too many draws, the strikers haven't been knocking goals in at any useful rate, and the team has been looking nervous, particularly when hanging on for a point or three.

Now, we've achieved nothing major so far, and an unconvincing narrow win against a weak side doesn't make me get carried away with praise. But I'll say that I'm impressed. The weaknesses detailed above seem to have been largely addressed, and you really can't argue with the excellent unbeaten run. Although we aren't thrashing sides we now look almost impossible to beat at our level, and generally look superior to any team in League 2 (we only drew against top form side MK Dons due to a dodgy referee).

There's certainly something to build on, and good results are piling up at quite a rate. There's always a chance of a dip in form, but I've seen enough to believe that Flitcroft will work at it and keep the results coming. So any talk of him not having until the end of the season (at least) must be consigned to the Fantasy Football thread.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 pm

I personally don't feel it was justified to be slating DF even before these wins. Some fans were calling for him to be sacked (there were several threads) and others were saying things like "he's got 5 games left" or questioning JR's ability to run the club.

But as I said in the original post, you maintain some credibility of you are willing to acknowledge the manager when times are good too, so fair play to those who are now backtracking. Let's hope this is a lesson in patience. I've always said a manager should be judged after a full season with his own squad so let's sit back and enjoy the good football on display and see where we go.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Bradders wrote:At the end of last season I was NOT impressed, and I think that's fair under the circumstances.

Earlier this season I was waiting to be impressed. There have clearly been too many draws, the strikers haven't been knocking goals in at any useful rate, and the team has been looking nervous, particularly when hanging on for a point or three.

Now, we've achieved nothing major so far, and an unconvincing narrow win against a weak side doesn't make me get carried away with praise. But I'll say that I'm impressed. The weaknesses detailed above seem to have been largely addressed, and you really can't argue with the excellent unbeaten run. Although we aren't thrashing sides we now look almost impossible to beat at our level, and generally look superior to any team in League 2 (we only drew against top form side MK Dons due to a dodgy referee).

There's certainly something to build on, and good results are piling up at quite a rate. There's always a chance of a dip in form, but I've seen enough to believe that Flitcroft will work at it and keep the results coming. So any talk of him not having until the end of the season (at least) must be consigned to the Fantasy Football thread.

Very well put Bradders.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 pm

The most adult, respectful posts I’ve seen on here for a while. Nobody can blame those doubting Flitcroft, I think even the most hardened supporters of him had testing moments when nothing seemed to be going well. It’s very early days, and there will be those times again no doubt, but hopefully we can all face the same way now and support our club in what is going to be a really interesting season.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Generally the team I feel has been playing the same all season but not getting the rub of the green which produce wins.

In the last three games we have had that bit of luck at the right time.

At Crewe for the second goal, their defender did a great tackle on Rose but the ball flew straight to Elsnik who took a touch and hit it - GOAL

At Cheltenham in the last minute the cross from Benning evaded Walker but hit the defender on the shin rebounded to Tyler - GOAL

The winner last night started with a poor cross field pass in our half and for some reason their player let the ball pass under his foot. My heart was in my mouth that the pass should have been intercepted and they would have been bearing down on goal, instead Hamilton was tearing down the wing and managed to just get the cross in before going over the by-line. - GOAL

Very small crucial things change game results and you need that bit of luck. Others perhaps will say you make your own luck, but our play and performance has been same all season the only difference is the quality / lack of luck of the opposition.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 am

part time pete wrote:Generally the team I feel has been playing the same all season but not getting the rub of the green which produce wins.

In the last three games we have had that bit of luck at the right time.

At Crewe for the second goal, their defender did a great tackle on Rose but the ball flew straight to Elsnik who took a touch and hit it - GOAL

At Cheltenham in the last minute the cross from Benning evaded Walker but hit the defender on the shin rebounded to Tyler - GOAL

The winner last night started with a poor cross field pass in our half and for some reason their player let the ball pass under his foot. My heart was in my mouth that the pass should have been intercepted and they would have been bearing down on goal, instead Hamilton was tearing down the wing and managed to just get the cross in before going over the by-line. - GOAL

Very small crucial things change game results and you need that bit of luck. Others perhaps will say you make your own luck, but our play and performance has been same all season the only difference is the quality / lack of luck of the opposition.

27 attempts at goal 2 scored.
The saying goes the more I practice the luckier I get.
We won't get that many attempts every game but I really hope we get lucky.
The manager has it set up perfectly to score goals with his formation.
We've come back from behind in the last 2 games, to me that says more about the players.

Owner of club, manager and players are brilliant at this moment.
:coys: :coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 am

I know a lot of you people don't like this sort of thing but here are some stats based tables for League Two. This is from the 2nd Nov so doesn't include Cheltenham or Grimsby games. League Two is the bottom right corner square.

Shows we are the best in the division for Expected Goals For in open play. Also shows though we conceded a lot more chances than everyone apart from the bottom 8.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:44 pm

I can see where people we getting antsy. What made me carry on believing was the sheer number of clear cut chances we were creating. We were so close to getting 3 points on many occasions.

That, and DF transfer listed 4(?) players, sold one and another retired. Now we know Diamond's wages are freed up we can sign some cover. If I could clone luke O'Neil I'd get him signed that's exactly the kind of player we are needing. People say we need a striker but we have Jordan Graham and Jason Law who are pushing for a chance, signing another striker pushes them down the pecking order.

What we need is defensive cover. It's all well and good having games postponed due to international call ups I'd rather play them at the time than creating a backlog. Winter is coming and we may have postponements due to that.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:04 pm

We need a striker, it’s going to push them down the pecking order but we have generally not scored enough so it’s a problem, it’s our biggest problem quite frankly and don’t let the recent run make you think otherwise.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Conker wrote:We need a striker, it’s going to push them down the pecking order but we have generally not scored enough so it’s a problem, it’s our biggest problem quite frankly and don’t let the recent run make you think otherwise.

The form we’re in suggests we don’t need to change anything. Rose can only get better based on recent games, Davies will gel and get better and Graham looks like he could be a player given game time. I’d rather see us work on those players and develop them than sign a new striker.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:We need a striker, it’s going to push them down the pecking order but we have generally not scored enough so it’s a problem, it’s our biggest problem quite frankly and don’t let the recent run make you think otherwise.

The form we’re in suggests we don’t need to change anything. Rose can only get better based on recent games, Davies will gel and get better and Graham looks like he could be a player given game time. I’d rather see us work on those players and develop them than sign a new striker.

I’m not letting our recent decent form change my opinion from throughout the season that we are one short upfront.

It’s very easy to forget our weaknesses due to recent form but we haven’t scored enough goals in around 10 games purely down to poor finishing. One injuries and we are seriously short of depth upfront.

I know everything is going well but it’s going to get tough again, and suddenly you’ll remember we are light.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Need a centre back who is a threat at corners
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:00 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Need a centre back who is a threat at corners

We need someone who can take a decent corner, the ones on Tuesday were poor
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 pm

WE STILL NEED A DECENT STRIKER!!! Trouble is where from and are there any decent ones?
A few injuries in that department and its season over imo. Thank god for TW.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum