{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Shots On Target.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Shots On Target.

Postby Kernow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:08 am

A few league two strikers, % shots on Target.

James Norwood 80%
Ollie Palmer 67%
Alex Fisher 65%
Ashley Nadesan 86%
Jordan Bowery 80%
Kane Hemmings 50%

DANNY ROSE. 34%.

Danny as much as we like the lad is not the answer !!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Re: Shots On Target.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 am

can you quote the source, so we can see the full list?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby m1cksut » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am

Kernow wrote:A few league two strikers, % shots on Target.

James Norwood 80%
Ollie Palmer 67%
Alex Fisher 65%
Ashley Nadesan 86%
Jordan Bowery 80%
Kane Hemmings 50%

DANNY ROSE. 34%.

well, this looks pretty damning, until you consider the totals for which these percentages apply.
for example, ollie palmer may have only had 3 attempts on goal all season, so to get 2 out of three, given that he does little except hang around the goal area, is not exceptional.
as we know, danny has 10 or 12 attempts on goal every game, from a wide variety of ranges and angles, so i would say 34% is a pretty good strike rate.
see, there are statistics and there are lies. either can be used to make a point, but it doesnt always make it right.
would you REALLY have palmer or fisher than danny rose?
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:29 am

m1cksut wrote:
Kernow wrote:A few league two strikers, % shots on Target.

James Norwood 80%
Ollie Palmer 67%
Alex Fisher 65%
Ashley Nadesan 86%
Jordan Bowery 80%
Kane Hemmings 50%

DANNY ROSE. 34%.

well, this looks pretty damning, until you consider the totals for which these percentages apply.
for example, ollie palmer may have only had 3 attempts on goal all season, so to get 2 out of three, given that he does little except hang around the goal area, is not exceptional.
as we know, danny has 10 or 12 attempts on goal every game, from a wide variety of ranges and angles, so i would say 34% is a pretty good strike rate.
see, there are statistics and there are lies. either can be used to make a point, but it doesnt always make it right.
would you REALLY have palmer or fisher than danny rose?

1 in 3 on target is not a good strike rate. 1 in 3 goals to shots ratio is. He needs to be closer to 50% on target. Danny is not an out and out striker though!!! We need one!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 am

I was so very disappointed when I read this thread. I rather hoped Kernow had some inside information on a remake of the Peter Sellers classic comedy, A Shot in the Dark. But alas it is not.

Shame really as I was really looking forward to who got the Bert Kwouk role of Cato.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Figures are from bbc website, Martin
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Some stats here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/le ... op-scorers

Pick what stats/ players you like. There’s a good range here.
Jayden Stockley and Tom Pope both under 50% shots on target. Not mentioned by Kernow.

Not on here but leading penalty scorers are Michael Doughty(4), Tom Pope and John Akinde(3 each), Luke Norris and four others (2)

As pointed out above, stats can only tell you a certain amount of information. For instance, these stats don’t include where the goals were scored from,etc.
They can give you other information such as shots per 90 minutes. Danny has 3.7 average according to these stats
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Kernow wrote:Figures are from bbc website, Martin

thanks
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:03 pm

While I agree our strike force needs to up their game, I'd like to see a list of proven players we should go for in January.

Obviously being available for signing / loan and affordable should not come into the equation ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:06 pm

We need a Greenacre.

Or maybe with how many chances we do create might just persuade a big prem club to let us have one of there natural finishers because that’s all we require.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:07 pm

What I find worrying is that we have gone through October without a striker scoring a goal, apart from the goalkeeping error at Bury. We have not really resolved the issue since out return to the league. If you we do not sort it any promotion look’s a long way down the line. To be fair I would like to say who that person might be, Hope we find the answer.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:09 pm

The reason Danny's shots on target %age is low-ish is because he takes so many shots generally, he's joint 4th if you ranked it by number of shots taken - which, when you consider he's played one of the least amount of minutes, is good going.

In fact, using that data Danny has a shot every 24 minutes, which is only bettered by Aneke of MK Dons. So it's not shots he needs to work on, its accuracy. The other thing to consider is that Lincoln are the top scorers, and only Akinde is on that list, with the same number of goals as Danny
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Kernow wrote:What I find worrying is that we have gone through October without a striker scoring a goal, apart from the goalkeeping error at Bury. We have not really resolved the issue since out return to the league. If you we do not sort it any promotion look’s a long way down the line. To be fair I would like to say who that person might be, Hope we find the answer.

True Kernow, but KW on paper at least seemed a viable answer, and may still do?

Palmer and Fisher are several years older than Walker, so there's every chance he could come good in a year or 2, though we can't wait that long obviously

We can't afford a proven striker, so it'll have to be a gamble in some young exciting player with the hope it works out.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:We need a Greenacre.

Or maybe with how many chances we do create might just persuade a big prem club to let us have one of there natural finishers because that’s all we require.

He’s a bit old now and I doubt he would come back from Australia :lol:
By the way, he only scored 9 in 33 matches in his first season but we stuck with him and look what happened after that...
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:38 pm

It’s about the type of chances created at the moment for me, I’m not sure home many of our shots yesterday were from inside the box? Maybe we’ve changed tact a little from this perspective or the opposition defended pretty well?

In the case of Danny (and CJ yesterday) I think teams are aware of the danger and double up on them at every opportunity, it should bring chance for others and we need others to find and finish opportunities.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum