{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crewe Scorefred sponsored by Keep Our Away Record On Track

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crewe Scorefred sponsored by Keep Our Away Record On Tra

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 am

The One wrote:There are two sides to this:
From the appointment of DF we expected play off at least. What happened is documented so will not dwell on it, however he did not cover himself in glory by blowing it

This season my opinion, and some others , was clean slate.

Despite saying we are playing best football in years Khan will rip this league, I went Cambridge and just saw negative football defending a 01 lead for second half and yes yet another draw.

After this game DF's win percent was 20% , which was worse than Cartoon Palmer, so fans were on his back for good reason.

People keep saying we need a goal scorer Murray tried failed, Evans tried failed, and we still need one now to kick on.

The last few games DF has gone offensive from the off and the results show this.

So fans being concerned are now happier, whereby ,previously they were concerned we would languish mid table. That criticism does not mean they do not support the club any less than others, DF budget for team is one of top in league two and play offs should be bare minimum.

People who say he needs this season and next (Rob for one) do not speak for me and some others I am sure, he has January window to strengthen like all managers with resources available.

Fans should not be split into "I am more a fan than you are" and castigated for criticism, we all care/support the team through good bad as Conference years showed.

To conclude without debate this site would be deathly quiet.

Lets all hope for promotion.

Spot on that!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 am

Constantly criticising is NOT supporting.

When things are not going well encouragement is needed not bile

Both the above are not about football but life. Some of the players subject to criticism are young men

We were all disappointed with what happens last year

By all means continue with the criticism and yes everyone is entitled to a view but please don’t confuse this with supporting

I’m proud to be a Stag at the moment and yes I do think we will get promoted
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 am

Conker wrote:it’s very easy to defend him when we are doing well, and same goes to criticising him when we are drawing every week.

Find the middle ground.

Totally, Conks

I still maintain I'm yet to be 100% full convinced, but I've given DF every chance while I can see the improvement being made.

Fans have every right to post conflicting views. But it was the repetitive manner at which almost every thread was hijacked with the same slanted facts on it, that got me so vehemently defensive.

Nothing wrong with being slow to praise, if that's how some prefer it. Likewise, can't those fans keep the same mantra & be slow to criticise also? Otherwise it's a biased approach to supporting the club, and one I feel detracts from us progressing as quick as we'd all like
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 am

yorkstag wrote:Constantly criticising is NOT supporting.

Both the above are not about football but life. Some of the players subject to criticism are young men

By all means continue with the criticism and yes everyone is entitled to a view but please don’t confuse this with supporting

Your unending having a go re not supporting is boring now. Fans of all clubs from Arsenal to Alfreton criticise their teams and players at times, it's called football. Debate/banter with mates etc is part of the game. You being Superfan though puts other mere mortals to shame.

We all want the best for the team and club
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am

yorkstag wrote:Constantly criticising is NOT supporting.

I agree to an extent re constant criticism to an extent. There is one poster in particular who has never made a positive comment in his life.

However, blind faith is just as destructive. As the people who happily clapped us all the way to the Conference under Haslam proved.

Currently we have an upturn in form and it's down to DF being more attack minded when we are one up. Fair play to him for that and long may it continue.

The real acid test for DF is what he does next time we lose a game. Will he retreat back into his defensive shell. I certainly hope not.

Stags look dangerous in possesssion, oddly for a team that doesn't concede many we look quite shakey without the ball. Crewe certainly got into dangerous positions very easily 1st half on Tuesday, luckily f9r us tgeir finishing was awful.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:11 am

I don't think we have only played attacking football for the past two weeks, we have been playing attacking football all season, it has mostly been excellent to watch and better than anything offered by multiple previous managers. What we have done is get very nervous towards the end of some games and have thrown a number of points away - had we not conceded those late goals we'd be top 3 now.

I think where many of us come from in this debate is that you simply have to give a new manager time, with his own players, to make his mark. It is almost impossible to judge how good a manager is until he has had chance to assess his squad and then at least a couple of transfer windows to effectively make it his team. I would argue that this is still not fully DFs team, he has inherited a few expensive issues which have not enabled him to bring in all the players he wants. To sack a manager every 6-12 months is a recipe for absolute disaster, most of those (though not all) wanting DF sacked have previous for wanting managers sacked far too early in their reign.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 am

Rob wrote:I don't think we have only played attacking football for the past two weeks, we have been playing attacking football all season, it has mostly been excellent to watch and better than anything offered by multiple previous managers. What we have done is get very nervous towards the end of some games and have thrown a number of points away - had we not conceded those late goals we'd be top 3 now.

I think where many of us come from in this debate is that you simply have to give a new manager time, with his own players, to make his mark. It is almost impossible to judge how good a manager is until he has had chance to assess his squad and then at least a couple of transfer windows to effectively make it his team. I would argue that this is still not fully DFs team, he has inherited a few expensive issues which have not enabled him to bring in all the players he wants. To sack a manager every 6-12 months is a recipe for absolute disaster, most of those (though not all) wanting DF sacked have previous for wanting managers sacked far too early in their reign.

I'd say we've played attacking football for 70 minutes all season and looked very good doing it. Our problems have come from getting into the last third of a game, without getting the killer 2nd goal and then trying to clam up. It didn't work last season & it didn't work this and it got frustrating in the extreme. The change of late (can't speak for Bury as I wasn't there) has been staying on the front foot, at no point did we invite pressure in the Morecambe or Crewe games and against Oldham & MK Dongs it was clear at no point did we settle for just a point.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 am

Rob wrote:I don't think we have only played attacking football for the past two weeks, we have been playing attacking football all season, it has mostly been excellent to watch and better than anything offered by multiple previous managers. What we have done is get very nervous towards the end of some games and have thrown a number of points away - had we not conceded those late goals we'd be top 3 now.

Exactly this.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:31 am

All that from a man who would've sacked Steve Evans for being .................................Steve Evans :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

All that from a man who would've sacked Steve Evans for being .................................Steve Evans :lol:

As I've said a few times, whilst I loathe Evans, not once did I ask for him to be sacked. I was, however, glad to see the back of him :D

I think on Sneags point, the difference with the Crewe game was that 2nd goal, I still think we looked nervy at times (esp for about 15 mins early in 2nd half) but having that 2nd gave us the cushion to continue attacking. I think the 3-5-2 works well away from home (hence we are unbeaten in the league away) - at home though it can leave us open to the counter attack.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 am

Rob wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

As I've said a few times, whilst I loathe Evans, not once did I ask for him to be sacked. I was, however, glad to see the back of him :D

I think on Sneags point, the difference with the Crewe game was that 2nd goal, I still think we looked nervy at times (esp for about 15 mins early in 2nd half) but having that 2nd gave us the cushion to continue attacking. I think the 3-5-2 works well away from home (hence we are unbeaten in the league away) - at home though it can leave us open to the counter attack.

You took the bait Rob and made my point as I knew you didn't want him sacked.

The point being that for all the criticism of DF very very few wanted him sacked but all the Amber spec brigade don't read posts properly and just blindly presumed that his critic's wanted him sacked.

As above we just wanted him to stop making the same mistakes that were costing points.

I was a critic but am buzzing and tomorrow can't come quick enough :coys:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That's almost poetic :lol: :lol: :lol:
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:
Conker wrote:it’s very easy to defend him when we are doing well, and same goes to criticising him when we are drawing every week.

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

The problem is we don't seem to give managers long enough to set the foundations in order to build success.

Some fans are too quick to criticise and dwell too much on what they see as past failures.

Thankfully the chairman sees things more in a longer term perspective
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:18 pm

One only needs to look down the A60 to see how true those words ring.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

The problem is we don't seem to give managers long enough to set the foundations in order to build success.

Some fans are too quick to criticise and dwell too much on what they see as past failures.

I agree but the other side it's also why a lot of criticism has been warrented too, considering the disaster last season and the below average start this season that was not unwarrented dwelling. I have said for a while I am unsure which way it will go, and I still am although things are more up than down right now and tomorrow could be the real turning point if we record back to back wins for the first time.

A lot of people on here have got to click on to the fact that yes, people constantly critisizing DF no matter what is frustrating, but on the other side we also have a select few whom find a excuse to defend him in every situation too and that's equally poor form.

The comments re style of play and entertainement are spot on - best football I have seen under Stags personally, and to be fair only the players can put it in the net, but again i'll flip it over and say a lot of these draws have also come down to DF tactics and managements.

The joys of being a L2 team I suppose, we are always going to have players that miss a lot of chances, or managers that make mistakes when trying to hold on to a lead it's part of the life of a MTFC fan.

DF and this squad are 100% capable of a top seven finish this season, and I think if record our first back to back very soon and sign a better finishing striker in January we could be challenging for the automatics again just like before Evans left.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

I agree but the other side it's also why a lot of criticism has been warrented too, considering the disaster last season and the below average start this season that was not unwarrented dwelling. I have said for a while I am unsure which way it will go, and I still am although things are more up than down right now and tomorrow could be the real turning point if we record back to back wins for the first time.

A lot of people on here have got to click on to the fact that yes, people constantly critisizing DF no matter what is frustrating, but on the other side we also have a select few whom find a excuse to defend him in every situation too and that's equally poor form.

The comments re style of play and entertainement are spot on - best football I have seen under Stags personally, and to be fair only the players can put it in the net, but again i'll flip it over and say a lot of these draws have also come down to DF tactics and managements.

The joys of being a L2 team I suppose, we are always going to have players that miss a lot of chances, or managers that make mistakes when trying to hold on to a lead it's part of the life of a MTFC fan.

DF and this squad are 100% capable of a top seven finish this season, and I think if record our first back to back very soon and sign a better finishing striker in January we could be challenging for the automatics again just like before Evans left.

what striker could we sign realistically? thats me genuinely asking as well, not trying to insinuate anything
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:44 pm

If we are in the top 3 then it's a temptation for them to come to us. But if we are top three then do we need one as the ones we have must've been doing the bizz.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:49 pm

laneymtfc wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

what striker could we sign realistically? thats me genuinely asking as well, not trying to insinuate anything

It's not going to be easy but people manage to do it - Flitcroft did it last season actually with Marc Richards I'm sure he bagged quite a few after he signed for Swindon last Jan.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:46 pm

I for one hope DF is here for a long time and has success!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm sure we all do deep down. The football for the most part is a decent watch now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

Yep, you are right SE walking away made last season a disaster.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Rob wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

It's been obvious all season that the lack of finishing power has led to the team having to hang on in the second half, when really they should have been enjoying the confidence of knowing that a mistake or two won't cost points.
In the Crewe match I thought that they looked more assured in the second half when they changed to 4-3-3, and Crewe didn't get forward as easily. But it might have just been that confidence generated by knowing that the result wasn't hanging by a thread for 45 minutes.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

It's been obvious all season that the lack of finishing power has led to the team having to hang on in the second half, when really they should have been enjoying the confidence of knowing that a mistake or two won't cost points.
In the Crewe match I thought that they looked more assured in the second half when they changed to 4-3-3, and Crewe didn't get forward as easily. But it might have just been that confidence generated by knowing that the result wasn't hanging by a thread for 45 minutes.

Crewe had more goalscoring chances in the second half than in the first I thought.

Like I said on a previous thread we haven’t been outplayed by anyone apart from Exeter while playing 3-4-3.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Find the middle ground.

Very good point.

Yep, you are right SE walking away made last season a disaster.

I not bother with you anymore then, at least I know.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Spiritater wrote:I'm sure we all do deep down. The football for the most part is a decent watch now.

Rob has always said good football eventually leads to good results. It's the 1 time he's been right :P :P :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum