{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Shrimps Scorefred sponsored by Leave them shell shocked

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Shrimps Scorefred sponsored by Leave them shell shocked

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:19 am

:) Great result last night , now on to Saturday and hopefully back to back wins :)

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -mansfield

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Brinner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 am

Hard fought win last night. But we have a long way to go before we look real promotion contenders but we have a good base to start from.

Oh how I wish the manager would move CJ to his natural position on the left. How many times did he cut in from the right and it all fizzled out? He is our most dangerous attacking threat and we play him out of position. Very disappointed with Walker's contribution and Khan needs to find some consistency. Bishop head and shoulders above everyone in midfield. Class player.

It will be a true test against a good team on Saturday. Let's hope we get the three points.
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Morecambe 1-2 Mansfield

elSCHnick as martin calls him to score both.

I call him `Elshnik` because that's how his name is pronounced.

When I worked at derby everyone there, all the coaches even the other players called him Els-Nik :lol:

You keep raising this - four times now I think.
So because no-one at Derby must have asked him how to pronounce his name, you think I must be wrong?
When I first met him, after the Lincoln Checkatrade game, I asked him how to pronounce his name so I would get it right in commentary. We haven't had too many Slovenians play for us after all.
He told me "Elshnik". He also took my phone and typed it into my phone "Elshnik".
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby lifestags » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:25 am

Good win last night, could be a big win for us mentally after we managed to see a game out. Few points from last night, I thought Bishop was outstanding, best player on the pitch by far. Also i thought Walker was the better of our strike force, he held the ball up well and made the right decision a lot of the time. I thought Sweeney was outstanding as well.

Some negative points though, Preston distribution is shocking and for a team that likes to keep the ball it is concerning, so many times this season and he lumped the ball out of play or to nobody, also Khan is a worry, i thought he was outstanding at the start of the season but he seems to be trying to do too much at the moment, complicating his play, Butcher would of been more suited in a game like last night in my opinion. Rose was frustrating last night also but you cant fault how many important free kicks he won for us, with Davies being injured we look really thin up top.

Last point and at the risk of sounding too negative but Benning, how many times does he get caught up field leaving Sweeney to do 2 jobs? How many times does the ball come into our area from that side uncontested? Annoys me but i suppose he is getting used to his new position.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:46 am

I read this board and despair

I have witnessed first hand the last two away performances. I have seen two very well organised , disciplined and professional performances. And still they moan

We look highly structured difficult to break down and at times play some lovely football. I wasn’t a fan of our current formation but have to say I’m being won over. I don’t think C J is out of position - he saw a lot of the ball last night and the reason moves broke down was poor decision making. One of our best ever played wide left and was right footed.

We just need to start putting the ball into the net

Well done all - difficult conditions last night. This team has character
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 am

yorkstag wrote:I read this board and despair

I have witnessed first hand the last two away performances. I have seen two very well organised , disciplined and professional performances. And still they moan

We look highly structured difficult to break down and at times play some lovely football. I wasn’t a fan of our current formation but have to say I’m being won over. I don’t think C J is out of position - he saw a lot of the ball last night and the reason moves broke down was poor decision making. One of our best ever played wide left and was right footed.

Well said!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:

Well said!!!

We had character last night, but a lack of character has been our problem and why we have lost so many leads this season - hopefully the result was the start of something different.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 am

lifestags wrote:Good win last night, could be a big win for us mentally after we managed to see a game out. Few points from last night, I thought Bishop was outstanding, best player on the pitch by far. Also i thought Walker was the better of our strike force, he held the ball up well and made the right decision a lot of the time. I thought Sweeney was outstanding as well.

Some negative points though, Preston distribution is shocking and for a team that likes to keep the ball it is concerning, so many times this season and he lumped the ball out of play or to nobody, also Khan is a worry, i thought he was outstanding at the start of the season but he seems to be trying to do too much at the moment, complicating his play, Butcher would of been more suited in a game like last night in my opinion. Rose was frustrating last night also but you cant fault how many important free kicks he won for us, with Davies being injured we look really thin up top.

Last point and at the risk of sounding too negative but Benning, how many times does he get caught up field leaving Sweeney to do 2 jobs? How many times does the ball come into our area from that side uncontested? Annoys me but i suppose he is getting used to his new position.

Haven't seen the highlights, but the commentary on my App had Khan taking plenty of shots, but unfortunately at the keeper. Maybe all he needed was a moment to compose himself in front of goal or take that extra touch? If i was being critical i'd say we're still missing a bit more from him, Davies to be fit and Walker to remember what that netty-thing in front of him is! :P

Fortunately we often have others player contribute to the goals, but i'd love us to have more scoring in midfield from Khan, Butcher or Mellis. Mal is always worth having a foray into the opponents half - think he hit the post early on in the game by the sound of it, and those are the sort of chances when he pays dividends
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 am

Conker wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Well said!!!

We had character last night, but a lack of character has been our problem and why we have lost so many leads this season - hopefully the result was the start of something different.

We've shown examples of character and lack of character this season, conceding late goals but also drawing away with 10 men and remaining unbeaten away. I think the signs are there and we're in a good position now to launch an assault on the playoff positions. From what I see, I'm optimistic that we'll go up.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Don’t over egg this so called ‘character’ rubbish.
When a team, any team, leads by the odd goal it’s human nature to tighten up and the opposition go for it, they have nothing to lose, hence why lots of teams concede late on. Character comes in various forms, and imo this team has some too!!! I’d rather say the other team deserved to get something out of a very even game like Colchester or Bury have. Did Chelsea lack character when Sturridge equalised late on through a wonder goal!!!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm

We played well and deserved the win ,we should be scoring more ,but i think we tend to overplay it sometimes ,if davies comes back it gives us a target ,because last night by the time we got the ball into their box everybody was virtually marked very closely it was just being cleared but a good result and on to saturday where we have to back this result up :mtfc:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 pm

I don’t think we played particularly well but were still worth the win, Morecambe worked hard to close us down but had nothing much to offer creatively .
Bishop and Pearce stood out for us both were excellent, Mellis was good in patches but went missing for long periods , Preston’s distribution was generally awful and Khan tried but couldn’t make anything happen.
The most frustrating player is CJ, he must have had 20 runs at the full back and always seemed to play it too far in front or too far behind our strikers, or he turns back and loses momentum or possession ....
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby laneymtfc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

When I worked at derby everyone there, all the coaches even the other players called him Els-Nik :lol:

So because no-one at Derby must have asked him how to pronounce his name, you think I must be wrong?
When I first met him, after the Lincoln Checkatrade game, I asked him how to pronounce his name so I would get it right in commentary. We haven't had too many Slovenians play for us after all.
He told me "Elshnik". He also took my phone and typed it into my phone "Elshnik".

come on here when I get a few mins spare at work, and people are arguing because someone pronounced a name wrong. Wow
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:43 pm

laneymtfc wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

come on here when I get a few mins spare at work, and people are arguing because someone pronounced a name wrong. Wow

Yeah, you tell him Lanny! :P :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:06 pm

its bad mate haha, when people have debates on here about the match/players/management or whatever. I like to read the opinions, but getting into arguments over pronouncing a name wrong is so petty its embarrassing
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:14 pm

It was a good win no doubt of that and much needed but lack of goals still a worry we just cant seem to get much beyond 1 a game.
Need Davies back as an option but signs good so far.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Chimney wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Lost 1 all season.
Unbeaten in 6 games.
Unbeaten away all season so far.
Playing good football.
Win our games in hand and we're on the edge of the autos, 7 points off top.
Flitcroft Out.

Playing devils advocate I’ll counter that with:

One of the worst win records of any stags manager ever
2nd lowest scorers in top 12
Fewest wins in top thirteen
One of biggest budgets in division

But things are looking up

Fair points. I don't mind debating the pros and cons with people who actually give reasons. Some on here just shout "Flitcroft Out" or "I'll give him 5 games" without giving any argument for why.

I acknowledge your points, but I do think it's better to be in the glass half full camp. No point worrying about our position until the games in hand are played - and I, being an optimist, believe we'll win them. :D
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Hopefully, I'm a lot more optimistic than I was two weeks ago
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Last night's Stags performance was exactly the same as the majority of the previous eight away games this season.

We were generally solid at the back for the vast majority of the game.

We wasted loads of goal threatening opportunities which meant we didn't score the number of goals our approach play deserved.

And we had that bit of luck that good teams get. Last night the ref gave us a corner when it was a goal kick from which we scored our goal.

But the big difference last night was the opposition.

Morecambe weren't good enough or lucky enough to get something from the game when other opponents have.

I have always said it is better to be a lucky manager than a great one.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum