{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:40 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 pm

thanks for that Martin.

Just to say I and I am sure many other folk do very much appreciate your game reports. I do feel that you do give a reasonably unbiased (within reason!) reports on games, certainly on those I attend and my player scores are not too dissimiliar.

You are not taken for granted at all and I do much admire and recognise your dedication in the attending and reporting of games. Happy' anniversary'!

cheers

Don
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby stuartcoupe » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Fully agree. I don't get to too many games (although I was there today) and the reports are so good in keeping me up to date with the games. Thanks Martin.
stuartcoupe
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm

stuartcoupe wrote:Fully agree. I don't get to too many games (although I was there today) and the reports are so good in keeping me up to date with the games. Thanks Martin.

Ditto. I thoroughly enjoy reading them.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks Martin and well done, I always read the reports, especially when I miss a match to get to know about the performance ;)

I was happy with the point today, although I thought CJ was going to win it when his was through near the end.

Here's to the next 20 years

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm

thanks for the kind words.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Wilfred » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 am

I echo the above sentiments, Martin. Your reports, information and dedication to The Stags are greatly appreciated.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 am

Thank's Marty, the poor appreciate the reports as it gives more detail to the game when all you can get now are 'updates and score flashes on t'Beeb. The shower on Woodhouse Rd really do my head in, pumping out musical guff we've heard countless times before and 'Gertie' ads by the score I just can't listen to it. Sooner listen to Clownty gerrin spanked, much more fun :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 am

my player ratings now on
http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewr ... atchid=950

Thanks for the kind words.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby young vanish » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 am

<<As an aside, I realised yesterday that it’s just over 20 years since I started doing match reports on Stagsnet. Almost every game for the past 18 years. Every game for the past 6 years. Thank you for reading. >>

And a big thank YOU from I'm certain many very appreciative readers.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 pm

He was never going to get a nice reception/mixed at Swindon, suprised you thought otherwise.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Conker wrote:He was never going to get a nice reception/mixed at Swindon, suprised you thought otherwise.

obviously CalderwoodsLeftFoot and IndianDan or whatever his name was, were booing loudly. But it was from about 20-50 people. The rest were indifferent, or at least didn't voice their feelings. And given that they booed Elsnik too, that put it in context.

To be clear, I never suggested he would get applause.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Conker wrote:He was never going to get a nice reception/mixed at Swindon, suprised you thought otherwise.

obviously CalderwoodsLeftFoot and IndianDan or whatever his name was, were booing loudly. But it was from about 20-50 people. The rest were indifferent, or at least didn't voice their feelings. And given that they booed Elsnik too, that put it in context.

Just been studying the footage from both cameras of when the group of Swindon fans chant "stand up if you hate Flitcroft". As the camera pans around, almost nobody stands up. A classic case of the noisy 50 not representing the 6,000 fans in the ground.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:12 pm

If you want to see an atmosphere where a opposition manager is ripped to bits for 90 mins by probably 90% of the crowd, then wait till the Scottish manager returns here one day.

Oh by the way, well done Accrington :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I am not sure we went 4-3-2 formation in second half

Thought it was 3-4-2 with Benning and Hamilton playing wing backs, and perhaps 5-2-2 when defending at times.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 pm

part time pete wrote:I am not sure we went 4-3-2 formation in second half

Thought it was 3-4-2 with Benning and Hamilton playing wing backs, and perhaps 5-2-2 when defending at times.

no I don't think so Pete. Preston was at right back.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Elsnik made reference to it in his post match interview:

“I think we’ve done well. We went to a back four and Matty Preston’s a centre-back that had to play full-back so that’s never nice but I think he’s done well, too."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby abc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Preston at RIGHT BACK !!!!
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 pm

abc wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Preston at RIGHT BACK !!!!

the system worked well in containing Swindon, despite being a man down, and Preston did well there.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 am

But abc will still say it was poor tactics by DF, even though we got a point away from home playing with 10 men for half a game.

I'd be interested to know what he'd have done as manager to get any more?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 am

I love the word execrable, I had to go and look it up. I think you should introduce a new word into each report to educate us poor yokels
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:58 am

Bros wrote:I love the word execrable, I had to go and look it up. I think you should introduce a new word into each report to educate us poor yokels

I heard it on the Radio5live report of the cricket from Sri Lanka on Saturday morning and thought it was evocative.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Just been studying the footage from both cameras of when the group of Swindon fans chant "stand up if you hate Flitcroft". As the camera pans around, almost nobody stands up. A classic case of the noisy 50 not representing the 6,000 fans in the ground.

Martin the majority clearly could not be arsed to stand for that chant - Flitcroft was not particularly liked at Swindon but obviously is not ‘hated’ throughout - however definitely more than 50 people were signing negatively about him.

It’s a bit like if he left Mansfield now, if he came back within a year he would get a few boos and songs for his abysmal record but the majority will be more focused on their own team.

Now if Evans came back the majority would be more focused on him than Mansfield unfortunately.

anyway, he didn’t get a mixed reaction like at Bury where some were appreciative of the promotion under his reign.

The people chanting they hate him and boo’ed Elsnik off were clearly idiots.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Conker wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Martin the majority clearly could not be arsed to stand for that chant - Flitcroft was not particularly liked at Swindon but obviously is not ‘hated’ throughout - however definitely more than 50 people were signing negatively about him.

It’s a bit like if he left Mansfield now, if he came back within a year he would get a few boos and songs for his abysmal record but the majority will be more focused on their own team.

Now if Evans came back the majority would be more focused on him than Mansfield unfortunately.

anyway, he didn’t get a mixed reaction like at Bury where some were appreciative of the promotion under his reign.

The people chanting they hate him and boo’ed Elsnik off were clearly idiots.

Even if it was 100 singing and/or standing up and/or booing, and that's a generous estimate, that is less than 2% of the Swindon fans at the game.

So 98% were indifferent. Hence the predicted description of "Flitcroft's return may well bring a largely indifferent reaction from the home faithful" by the Swindon Advertiser was pretty accurate. Had Musings taken the bet that it wouldn't be accurate, he'd have lost. I could have even handed Musings' money over there and then :lol: as I was next to the Swindon Advertiser reporter in the press box, and he kindly helped me out with the info on who the minute's applause on 56 minutes was for. I never thought Flitcroft would get applause and never suggested he would.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum