{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mental Health Debate

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Mental Health Debate

Postby Stoney » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Just watching a live debate on sky between Chris Kirkland, Kris Boyd and another ex player which is surrounding mental health with it being world mental health day.

Not sure if it will be available for download however it may be of interest to some fans as our own David Flitcroft has been praised by a couple of them as one of the managers in the football league who highly values the need to help and deal with issues regarding mental health.

Big praise from Kirkland saying Flitcroft has dealt with mental health issues himself and that he was a huge help to him whilst he was at Bury and seriously struggling with depression and anxiety.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Re: Mental Health Debate

Postby Jimstag » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 am

I didn’t see the live debate but well done to Flitcroft, 1 overcoming his own issues (assume he has!) and 2 helping others that are suffering. Hopefully his experience can be a help to others at the club and elsewhere.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 am

excellent that our club takes it seriously teaming up with mind

Having never suffered from say depression myself it's very difficult for an outsider looking in to understand what is going on in the mind of someone else- It's a debate I tend to stay clear of and one which should be debated with caution.

It has definitely become more of a thing these days (and i don't mean that as the latest fad), maybe awareness is up, social media etc.

One thing I do disagree with (again its easy for me to say having never been there so this is written with some compassion), it appears antidepressants are widely available quite easily these days from your GP, without imo thorough diagnosis and understanding of the root cause. The GP recommended things like stop drinking alcohol (natural depressant), exercise (a natural antidepressant) for the people i know who suffer just dont bother with this aspect. For me the reason I don't understand it is that you never know if its the chemical balance or whether life is just tough - I may be way off the mark here, just talking about people I personally know.

it's not that simple I know and from what I have heard, wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I am glad the support networks are available to aid people in overcoming it.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 am

Chander Lear wrote:excellent that our club takes it seriously.

Having never suffered from say depression myself it's very difficult for an outsider looking in to understand what is going on in the mind of someone else- It's a debate I tend to stay clear of and one which should be debated with caution.

It has definitely become more of a thing these days (and i don't mean that as the latest fad), maybe awareness is up, social media etc.

One thing I do disagree with (again its easy for me to say having never been there so this is written with some compassion), it appears antidepressants are widely available quite easily these days from your GP, without imo thorough diagnosis and understanding of the root cause. The GP recommended things like stop drinking alcohol (natural depressant), exercise (a natural antidepressant) for the people i know who suffer just dont bother with this aspect. For me the reason I don't understand it is that you never know if its the chemical balance or whether life is just tough - I may be way off the mark here, just talking about people I personally know.

it's not that simple I know and from what I have heard, wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I am glad the support networks are available to aid people in overcoming it.

if you go to the doctors and say you feel depressed or been having symptoms of anxiety they normally just chuck you on what ever anti anxiety or depression medication you can, and it can be really hard to stop taking it too due to withdrawals. I've seen it first hand and it's really not nice at all.

On another side note I always think it's disgusting when BBC or MOTD Facebook pages post about footballers suffering with depression, because there are always comments like 'but they're millionaires, what do they have to be depressed about?' etc etc. We are.moving in the right direction to help those who need it but there could be a lot more done to help. Well done to Flitcroft aswell , he does seem like an honest and hard working bloke, I hope he is successful with us
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Chander Lear wrote:excellent that our club takes it seriously teaming up with mind

Social media is rarely a help. Its the root cause of the uplift in several mental health disorders.

Talking works. Thereputic talking sessions are far better than any suggestions to alter the chemical imbalance in your brain. A problem shared and all that. I am inclined to believe David flitcroft is a man who can talk about feelings. And good on him if it helps him and his staff.

I have dealt first hand with anorexia which is a savage beast. Its a mental health disorder that manifests itself when you lose control of another part of your life. Eg at work or relationship breakdowns etc. Anorexia turns you into a very cunning and deliberately deceptive person. Help is often refused. People don't know what to say too.

Mental health awareness week is more about facilitating those who are indirectly affected by it by helping those who do have it one form or another.

There is always room to do more.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Chander Lear wrote:excellent that our club takes it seriously teaming up with mind

I think you’re doing yourself a big injustice there mate & you shouldn’t stay clear of the debates as you clearly know what you’re on about.

As someone who has suffered with it for 15+ years I still don’t understand it. I put it a lot on Facebook & Twitter these days because I’m amazed how many people contact me privately about their own situation & I always urge people to ask questions etc. Same on here if anyone needs to talk about it just let me know. I’m no expert, indeed I was back at the doctors yesterday because I’ve been really struggling recently. But I’ll give you honest answers to any questions. I’m glad people are starting to see it ‘out there’ a lot more, that means people like us who suffer are getting the message out there that it’s ok not to be ok and there are millions of others out there in the same boat, some who don’t know what to do or where to turn.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:21 pm

I think depression is hard to diagnose as where something else like dementia can affect difference people in similar ways, mental health issues can’t be seen as the same as it affects different people in different ways.

It’s a typical “lad” thing to round on someone struggling for whatever reason but it’s a typical English approach to be macho and brush it under the carpet, it’s whu suicide rates are so high in lads.

It should be taken seriously for a reason
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 am

Makes me really happy that its finally being taken seriously... gone are the days of just saying "man up"

Ive suffered from various things and its amazing how many people are also affected by it... Nice to know Flitcroft was supportive of Kirkland, top bloke!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am

A quick search on Google brings up articles from 2017 where Kirkland is praising Flitcroft for what he did (as well as Bury FC as a whole) to help.

I'm seeing more and more friends open up about struggling with aspects of their life and more of an acceptance around therapy, medication etc. I still see a huge stigma from certain generations but that's going to take time to fix and will filter out.

Im happy with have Flitcroft with us
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am

I have suffered with visits from ( The black dog ) for over 30 years and even though I managed to hold down a decent career it has been a struggle from time to time. There is always light at the end of the tunnel but when in that dark place it isn’t easy to see. Well done to all the prominent people in the spotlight that stand up and say that they too have those struggles. It is a very positive step that it is now being spoken about so much by this generation and let’s hope all those people who are suffering from any form of mental illness get the help and understanding they need. Role models like our manager are such a help and comfort and derserve credit for opening up like they do.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BARRIE-M » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm

I agree with most of the comments made onn this topic the illness of alziemers and dementure can and does affect people of all ages my wife Sheila has suffered from it for some years before I finally admitted to my family that it was serious and that I COULD NOT COPE WITH CARING FOR HER. I finally admitted and accepted this after she went missing for 9 hours and the police were searching for her including the helicopter plus many police in many districts she was finally found 12 miles away in Bullwell, at her home where she had lived with her parents 75 years ago. thanks to the help and support which I have received fro family friends the staff and supporters of MTFC , I have got over the trauma of the past 3 months and now I am on the way to a full recovery from a stroke and severe anxiety problems, NOW I intend to advise people of any age to seriously act to ensure that powers of attorney, are in place for their loved ones and themselves in case the disease attacks them, or their family. because arranging care or care home is expensive and a mine field when try to negotiate the legalities without those powers on behalf of the unfortunate person who is not capable, of making the decision of paying for or accepting a care home. Sorry to go on but I was having horrible thoughts on how to get through that minefield thanks to my family the club and you for your help and support inn getting me back on track BARRIE MALTBY
BARRIE-M
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:19 am

Sorry to hear that Barrie. Dementia is an awful awful disease, I had experience with it in my last job at Chesterfield Hospital and seen people deteriorate over time. In my new job I've been involved in searching for missing people suffering with similar issues and going to places where they might have known as children and luckily ive been part of teams who have found them and got them safe again which is always an amazing feeling.

Mental health should be spoke about and it's a refreshing feeling knowing we've got a great advocate in that in David Flitcroft. The attitude towards it is definitely changing
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 pm

BARRIE-M wrote:I agree with most of the comments made onn this topic the illness of alziemers and dementure can and does affect people of all ages my wife Sheila has suffered from it for some years before I finally admitted to my family that it was serious and that I COULD NOT COPE WITH CARING FOR HER. I finally admitted and accepted this after she went missing for 9 hours and the police were searching for her including the helicopter plus many police in many districts she was finally found 12 miles away in Bullwell, at her home where she had lived with her parents 75 years ago. thanks to the help and support which I have received fro family friends the staff and supporters of MTFC , I have got over the trauma of the past 3 months and now I am on the way to a full recovery from a stroke and severe anxiety problems, NOW I intend to advise people of any age to seriously act to ensure that powers of attorney, are in place for their loved ones and themselves in case the disease attacks them, or their family. because arranging care or care home is expensive and a mine field when try to negotiate the legalities without those powers on behalf of the unfortunate person who is not capable, of making the decision of paying for or accepting a care home. Sorry to go on but I was having horrible thoughts on how to get through that minefield thanks to my family the club and you for your help and support inn getting me back on track BARRIE MALTBY

glad to hear your on your recovery path and your advice on getting power of attorney sorted out is very important.
With Stoney on this as well, because I don't think a thread mental well-being would have had the same response on stagnet ten years ago. Maybe we are making progress and chipping away at the stigma
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby die hirsche » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm

BARRIE-M wrote:I agree with most of the comments made onn this topic the illness of alziemers and dementure can and does affect people of all ages my wife Sheila has suffered from it for some years before I finally admitted to my family that it was serious and that I COULD NOT COPE WITH CARING FOR HER. I finally admitted and accepted this after she went missing for 9 hours and the police were searching for her including the helicopter plus many police in many districts she was finally found 12 miles away in Bullwell, at her home where she had lived with her parents 75 years ago. thanks to the help and support which I have received fro family friends the staff and supporters of MTFC , I have got over the trauma of the past 3 months and now I am on the way to a full recovery from a stroke and severe anxiety problems, NOW I intend to advise people of any age to seriously act to ensure that powers of attorney, are in place for their loved ones and themselves in case the disease attacks them, or their family. because arranging care or care home is expensive and a mine field when try to negotiate the legalities without those powers on behalf of the unfortunate person who is not capable, of making the decision of paying for or accepting a care home. Sorry to go on but I was having horrible thoughts on how to get through that minefield thanks to my family the club and you for your help and support inn getting me back on track BARRIE MALTBY

well played bazza. and good advice.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:06 pm

I didn't see the programme, but I remember reading years ago that DF's own father suffered from mental health issues for years, sadly ending with him taking his own life. I'd imagine anyone who's been through all that is only too willing to offer help wherever it's needed.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum