{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Shakers Scorefred sponsored by Make Their Place Rock

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Shakers Scorefred sponsored by Make Their Place Rock

Postby yellas-derek-yellas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Five minutes into extra time and we go and throw two more points away - I'm getting very frustrated with this now.
Mid table if it is not sorted.
yellas-derek-yellas
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Cheers for that again Dave.

Another example of how you are not a football manager, cheers for trying but please do politely sod off.

After a win against a park side last Saturday, he’s had 2 games against decent opposition this week to get a win, and unsurprisingly failed. It’s alrigjt superdrawing Oldham into a 0-0 submission,!!75 that doesn’t get 3 points.

Today he was given the chance to get an important win, and blew it in typical, abysmal fashion. Take off all forwards, bring everyone back from set pieces (both stopped any avenue of escape and holding up the ball) and then just sat in the penalty area. IT DOES NOT WORK DAVE! STOP IT NOW.

That said, the players didn’t help, and were wasteful in their application too often, and once again we missed sitter after sitter.

You’ve had half a season now Dave. And you’ve won 5. Give yourself a pat on the back.

What got me was until we scored out of nothing from a corner it was one way traffic second half and they seemed likely to win it. After we scored, we then actually started to create some chances to finish the game off and what do you know... he changes it allowing them to get a foothold again.
It’s like he’s seen us creating chances and thought Christ we can’t have that when we’re winning!

Same every week. Been saying it for a while. Glad people are seeing through the good football farce at last.

Yep! It’s better, but there’s nothing groundbreaking about this football and it certainly isn’t getting us results. I doubt there’s many teams we’ve played this season that have walked away thinking we’re a special passing side. Some talk as though there’s only David Flitcroft that can make a Mansfield side pass the ball on the floor! The 4-0 win against a truly dreadful Northampton team (probably the worst Northampton side I’ve ever seen personally) papered over the cracks in my opinion.

We haven’t even strung 2 wins in a row under Flitcroft yet and we don’t look like going on a winning run. He’s managing a more than capable side not relegation fodder!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:52 pm

The performance was dire. We couldn't pass or keep possession. I have the amount of free kicks we give away. Stats say we gave away 19 today. Bloody awful.
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Back home after going to the match and can’t believe half of what I’m reading.
Bury are a good side and went at us right from the start, passing the ball neatly and running at our defence who mostly held firm. Bury also resorted to falling to the floor and the ref assisted them by producing FOUR soft yellow cards whilst Bury seemed to get away with worse and not even concede a free kick. The key booking was probably Bishop’s which meant he had to check his usual game. Mayor looked very good for them and took advantage of this.
Excellent opportunism by Danny but he should have at least hit the target before half time.
Excellent equalising goal from Bury. Their first shot on target? No idea where ref got 3 minutes from at the end of the first half. Only one injury stoppage although Olejnik was taking his time with goal kicks.
Bury continued to press after half time but we still created chances and defended well. Great header from Preston from a very good corner.
Regarding the subs. Atkinson for Walker with CJ moving forward- seems to work and gets some extra pace up front. CJ got behind the Bury defence quite a few times and put some good crosses over which on another day could have been converted. Mellis for Khan was a like for like sub and Mellis played really well and looked very dangerous and creative. Should have had a penalty when he seemed to be pulled done from behind. Butcher for Rose- Danny had done a load of running and looked knackered. Only striker on the bench (Davies injured) was Jordan Graham. Think it would have been unfair to ask him to do a holding role which doesn’t seem to be his style.
Overall I would have been happy with a point except we had some excellent chances to put the game away and giving the lead away twice is gutting particularly so late. Again 7 minutes seemed a long time even with subs and one or two short injury stoppages. I would have expected 4 or 5.
Fantastic away support again, totally out singing the Bury fans.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby daddycool » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:01 pm

To be honest one goal was suspect the other a defender scored so the strikers were hardly running riot ,nothing on the bench that would have improved it up front imo
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Stockportstag wrote:The performance was dire. We couldn't pass or keep possession. I have the amount of free kicks we give away. Stats say we gave away 19 today. Bloody awful.

Wasn’t a dirty game and ref seemed to give some very soft decisions. Bury players went down at slightest touch and then got up as soon as ref gave them a decision.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Still a stanty , Greenacre, Barker , short take our chances we go up .. you can’t play all out attacking football unless you have the quality to score more than the opposition ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm

‘Now, my head is spinning
At the back of mind I think I’m winning’

So sang Electronic in the late 80’s.

Kind of sums up how I feel about the Stags right now.

To be fair the most uplifting part of today is being sat in Scuttles Pub, Manchester discussing the merits of Wrote for Luck (Vince Clarke Remix) by the Happy Monday’s with the locals.

Mansfield Youth Element - ask your dad.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Why, whenever we play some Northwestern or Manchester team do they have to play the Stone Roses?

I admit Waterfall is a great tune and was in 1989 when released on their debut album.

However, can’t the youth of today get off their arse and make a decent tune that we can listen to at half time that wasn’t made the best part of thirty years ago!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
victor A block wrote:Why does he keep bringing Atkinson on for Walker, when we are not winning??????? Losing faith in the man.

How about now ?[/quote
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am

Well if you'd have offered me a point as I travelled up with part time pete I'd have snapped your hand off.
The game began with Bury really bossing us and Mayor running rings round us. Bury are a decent outfit. Come the end, yes I was deflated but on reflection no-one can deny Bury warranted a share of the spoils. Onto Saturday and if we go 1 up against the Cods and sit back and ultimately concede then slight concern becomes definite worry.
Oh and Walker needs to up his game sharpish. We seem a player short atm with him in the side. Ineffectual, expected so much more from t'lad with his supposed pedigree.
Time to step it up Tyler, like NOW!!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Has to be said that the foul on Mellis is a cast iron, nailed on, without a doubt, 100% penalty. The lad tugged his shirt and pulled him down as he knew Mellis'd done him. Ref maybe unsighted and clever thinking by their lad, but the lino should've seen it shirley don't you think.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm

:mrgreen: look at the referee

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:22 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::mrgreen: look at the referee

yes Danny Mayor jumps on the back of the referee in the celebrations of the stoppage time equaliser. Not sure I've ever seen that before.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

yes Danny Mayor jumps on the back of the referee in the celebrations of the stoppage time equaliser. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Oh come on - Be fair. The referee was doing EVERYTHING he could to get a result for Bury. The seven minutes awarded were nearly over when they scored. The Bury player was simply showing his appreciation.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Spiritater wrote:Has to be said that the foul on Mellis is a cast iron, nailed on, without a doubt, 100% penalty. The lad tugged his shirt and pulled him down as he knew Mellis'd done him. Ref maybe unsighted and clever thinking by their lad, but the lino should've seen it shirley don't you think.

Never a penalty. The defender clearly wins the ball, it was brilliant defending
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm

S7AGS wrote:Swindon last season were like we are now when he manages them...a limbo team floating around outside playoffs but not securing a place up there

Swindon had drawn just 3 of their 34 games at the end of February last season. A good comparison?
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Just watched the game on iFollow. It was a good open game and exciting to watch as both teams wanted to get the ball down and pass it. I thought Bury were the best team Mansfield have played in the league this season. Danny Mayor is an excellent player and Jay O'Shea and Nicky Adams are also quality players. Mansfield made a very shaky start for the first eight minutes and struggled to get to grips with Bury’s quick passing game. Danny Mayor’s ability on the ball caused the Stags loads of problems and Nicky Adams had a great chance to give Bury the lead. However the game was turned upside down when Joe Murphy dropped the ball and Danny Rose tapped into an empty net to give the Stags the lead. Otis Khan then had an excellent chance to put the Stags 2-0 up after good midfield play by Timi Elsnik and Danny Rose had a magnificent chance to score on 29 mins but dragged his shot wide. If that had gone in then it would have been game over.

Mal Benning was caught napping for first goal. He switched off and lost Joe Thompson and gave him a free header across the box for a great finish by Nicky Maynard. Neal Bishop did not have a good game. Danny Mayor waltzed past him every time. Jacob Mellis should have replaced Bishop not Otis Khan who can always creat a goal. One big positive was that Matt Preston put us in the lead from a set piece. The first goal we have scored direct from a corner this season. However we also got caught out
three times by short corners taken by Bury. Krystian Pearce had had a good game until getting caught in no mans land at the end and leaving Nicky Maynard on his own to equalize for Bury although our defence was all at sea due to Danny Mayor's great run where he beat about five of our players to set up Calum Styles. Olejnik makes a great save but Neal Bishop just gives the ball back to Bury. It was his second terrible pass in injury time. Perhaps Calum Butcher or Jacob Mellis should just have hacked Mayor down or pulled him back. It would have given us chance to regroup. The Stags should have had a penalty with the last kick of the match when Jacob Mellis was pulled down but the referee was still celebrating Bury's equalizer by giving Danny Mayor a piggy back. To be fair I also thought Mal Benning had got away with a penalty in the 81st minute when he fouled Dominic Telford.

Overall a draw was a fair result and it was the Stags' 5th consecutive away draw of the season which is a club record. So David Flitcroft is still struggling to put a run of wins together and has only won 5 out of 23 league games. However we have only lost one league game this season and a few wins could easily push us up into the top 7. Time for a little more patience. A few fine tweaks and hopefully the wins will come. Most opposition managers admit that we are a decent side and we are good to watch when we get on the front foot. Three points against Mr Jolley's Grimsby on Saturday would boost morale.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Has to be said that the foul on Mellis is a cast iron, nailed on, without a doubt, 100% penalty. The lad tugged his shirt and pulled him down as he knew Mellis'd done him. Ref maybe unsighted and clever thinking by their lad, but the lino should've seen it shirley don't you think.

you need to watch the pitchside footage. Mellis is pulled down by his shirt. It's the most stonewall of penalties.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:54 am

Foresttownstag wrote:

Do you need to go to Specsavers? Of course he won the ball, but when Mellis is being dragged down by his shirt it sort of gives their lad a far better chance of winning it as Jacob can't get away. If VAR was being used I wonder how it would've been viewed. I'd say with the initial shirt tug before thier lad gets the toe end on it that it'd been given as a peno
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:01 am

Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Do you need to go to Specsavers? Of course he won the ball, but when Mellis is being dragged down by his shirt it sort of gives their lad a far better chance of winning it as Jacob can't get away. If VAR was being used I wonder how it would've been viewed. I'd say with the initial shirt tug before thier lad gets the toe end on it that it'd been given as a peno

No I don’t need to go to Specsavers. I’ve watched it back numerous times and I still don’t think it’s a penalty, not enough in it for me. The shirt tug is nowhere near as bad as we are making out and IMO doesn’t warrant him going down. If I was Bury I’d be disappointed if that was given against me, it would have been soft
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

No I don’t need to go to Specsavers. I’ve watched it back numerous times and I still don’t think it’s a penalty, not enough in it for me. The shirt tug is nowhere near as bad as we are making out and IMO doesn’t warrant him going down. If I was Bury I’d be disappointed if that was given against me, it would have been soft

Disagree with you there. I wasn't sure at the time from the back of the stand, but having seen the replay I think it's cast iron. Couple of colleagues in my office have looked without Mansfield bias and said it was 100% a penalty too. Topped off a very poor day for the referee I felt.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Stafford wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Disagree with you there. I wasn't sure at the time from the back of the stand, but having seen the replay I think it's cast iron. Couple of colleagues in my office have looked without Mansfield bias and said it was 100% a penalty too. Topped off a very poor day for the referee I felt.

I’m still not convinced, there’s contact there’s no doubting that but I don’t think it’s enough in it. I’d be disappointed if that went against us.

Agree on the referee, he was poor for both sides. Missed a stone wall penalty for Bury in the 2nd half
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm

How is this allowed to happen? Does it not warrant a red card? I'm sure the FA would be interested!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum