{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best game so far....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Best game so far....

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:55 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
withnail wrote:Just taken a look at the Oldham forum, the consensus seems to be that they were very fortunate indeed to get a point...

"Mansfield are the best team we have played.They are well organised and have very tricky wingers who can actually cross the ball.We were lucky not to be 4-0 down at half time but for the cross bar and our brill keeper who was Motm."

Their keeper barely made a save did he? Walker shot from tight angle and CJ effort which looked to be going over anyway and was straight at him?

I thought their keeper was excellent and seem to recall at 4/5 top saves.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
withnail wrote:Just taken a look at the Oldham forum, the consensus seems to be that they were very fortunate indeed to get a point...

"Mansfield are the best team we have played.They are well organised and have very tricky wingers who can actually cross the ball.We were lucky not to be 4-0 down at half time but for the cross bar and our brill keeper who was Motm."

Their keeper barely made a save did he? Walker shot from tight angle and CJ effort which looked to be going over anyway and was straight at him?

We only had three shots on target :lol: The two I mentioned and a CJ near post shot. None were anything special from memory.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:58 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Were you there? He made three excellent saves!!!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:01 pm

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Were you there? He made three excellent saves!!!

Yes thank you, see above. First one from Walker which was a comfortable height. Second from CJ straight at him, going over anyway, tipped over, third from CJ again comfortable near post save. We had three much easier chances than that in which our players missed the target (Walker, Khan, Atko)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

We only had three shots on target :lol: The two I mentioned and a CJ near post shot. None were anything special from memory.

four saves Sam. See my report. Video coming up shortly.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

So being alert to situations, good positioning, coming off your line, dealing with crosses, etc. don't count when judging a keeper's performance ?
I am fairly sure these are things that Logan has been slated on here for not doing.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

four saves Sam. See my report. Video coming up shortly.

Forgot the save from the near own-goal. That was a good save but again a save you would expect him to make.

Of course they count Dave but he didn't make any outstanding saves IMO, all saves you would expect a keeper to make.

What about his brilliant positioning when he decided to charge off his line with no change of getting to CJ for Khan's miss?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm

As David Seaman used to say “the bad keepers are the ones that are always diving about”. Top keepers use their footwork to be in the best position. Too many keepers today make saves purely for the cameras!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Just one criticism Stay on your feet more Danny Rose!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Video now up, two of the four saves didn't even make the highlights :lol:

Watched Martin's extended. Save from Clarke was not as good as I thought, quite simple. Walker's effort was going wide (Walker looked offside to me). CJ's first perhaps was going in but was straight at the keeper. Cj's second looked like it was going wide too, simple save.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Video now up, two of the four saves didn't even make the highlights :lol:

Watched Martin's extended. Save from Clarke was not as good as I thought, quite simple. Walker's effort was going wide (Walker looked offside to me). CJ's first perhaps was going in but was straight at the keeper. Cj's second looked like it was going wide too, simple save.

those weren't my highlights Sam. My highlights (labelled Club highlights), with loads of pitchside footage, are being uploaded to iFollow as we speak. My shortened version of those Club highlights is available on the "video: Oldham game" thread.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Video now up, two of the four saves didn't even make the highlights :lol:

those weren't my highlights Sam. My highlights (labelled Club highlights), with loads of pitchside footage, are being uploaded to iFollow as we speak. My shortened version of those Club highlights is available on the "video: Oldham game" thread.

Ok sorry.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:45 pm

The goals will come. The football will keep improving and the goals will definietly come, even it means signing a Collins/Hylton type forward. Rest of the team is spot on, being let down by our front lads.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Brinner » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Really good performance last night but oh how we need a clinical finisher. The jury is out as far as Walker is concerned but I really hope he comes good.
We need to work on set pieces and corners in particular are woeful. When did we last score from a corner?
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kenwood » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Brinner wrote:Really good performance last night but oh how we need a clinical finisher. The jury is out as far as Walker is concerned but I really hope he comes good.
We need to work on set pieces and corners in particular are woeful. When did we last score from a corner?

Agree we should be scoring more headers from set pieces. With 3 CH and Rose/ Davies & Walker our return so far is not good enough
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Brinner wrote:Really good performance last night but oh how we need a clinical finisher. The jury is out as far as Walker is concerned but I really hope he comes good.

You can't say that. Bellwhiff reckons he's the Bee's knees.

Has to be said though that Tyler isn't producing what we thought he would.
His confidence seems lack atm.

Be interesting if he's 1st choice again on Sat, as to my mind he's struggling to justify it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Who do we pick if not Walker? James Anderson or would it be nice to have Hemmings and green.
Let's just hope come the January window we are 2 points off play offs with a game in hand.
I'm hoping he sticks with Rose and walker it will come very very good I hope.
:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:03 am

Cassells, go back to the other site you moron! For once things went for us for a change and you couldn`t even see it!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:03 am

PRL13 wrote:Cassells, go back to the other site you moron! For once things went for us for a change and you couldn`t even see it!

Moron....Mmmm, but it wasn’t luck!!! Good play. I take it you’re still in nappies, the way you sometimes act on here.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
PRL13 wrote:Cassells, go back to the other site you moron! For once things went for us for a change and you couldn`t even see it!

Moron....Mmmm, but it wasn’t luck!!! Good play. I take it you’re still in nappies, the way you sometimes act on here.

I can see what pr meant by lucky. Several times immediately before the goals, the players charged down balls which could have gone anywhere and didn't have the ball under control. If the ball hadn't bounced in the correct direction we wouldn't have scored the goals.

You could say that was lucky or you could say players make their own luck. Either way there is no need to call anyone a moron.

It's all about opinions and we all have one.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:26 am

Worth taking a look at the goals Walker scored at Vale, Stevnage and at forest... lots of quality finishes. I think hes under massive pressure here and we need to get behind him.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I can see what pr meant by lucky. Several times immediately before the goals, the players charged down balls which could have gone anywhere and didn't have the ball under control. If the ball hadn't bounced in the correct direction we wouldn't have scored the goals.

You could say that was lucky or you could say players make their own luck. Either way there is no need to call anyone a moron.

It's all about opinions and we all have one.

In sport it’s all about percentages. More shots, more goals, more pressure applied to the ball, the more you win it back. Simple. You make your own luck, and on Saturday 4-0 is not lucky. IMO luck is when a team like Oldham, park the bus and don’t press, and get away with the opposition missing chance after chance!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:04 pm

You've got to laugh at PR13, Danny Rose worked hard and made himself a goal (pat on the back for Danny). Atko does the same thing and he's a lucky beggar that got away with it. You literally could not make this up!
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Oak Tree Stag wrote:You've got to laugh at PR13, Danny Rose worked hard and made himself a goal (pat on the back for Danny). Atko does the same thing and he's a lucky beggar that got away with it. You literally could not make this up!

Exactly mate.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm

Was interesting for me on Saturday hearing Danny speak in the 1865 he said his first wasn't great. I thought it was brilliant because it was basically sheer effort and determination that got the goal.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum