{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best game so far....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Best game so far....

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

How the hell did we NOT win that game?
In my humble opinion that is the best football I’ve seen us play for a long time...
Could quite easily have been 5 or 6 nil...

Onwards and upwards!!!!
It’s coming together!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Re: Best game so far....

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

massively, Flitcroft got everything right, bar putting the ball in the net, there is nothing more he could have done, and i agreed with this changes
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah I echo that. We were superb tonight and did everything but score. Great football, the lads worked there socks off and deserved to win that.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Chander Lear wrote:massively, Flitcroft got everything right, bar putting the ball in the net, there is nothing more he could have done, and i agreed with this changes

i agree there you go Spiro lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 pm

We played much better than Saturday and finished stronger than Oldham and (Bobby's slip apart) they never looked like scoring.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Anyone who witnessed tonight knows we have a decent manager who will get it right. Best football since the Lawrence days. The manager can’t be blamed for poor finishing. The lads were fantastic tonight just a pity we couldn’t score!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Definitely the best game in years very enjoyable to watch

:coys:
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Anyone who witnessed tonight knows we have a decent manager who will get it right. Best football since the Lawrence days. The manager can’t be blamed for poor finishing. The lads were fantastic tonight just a pity we couldn’t score!!!

Absolutely right, we are certainly heading in the right direction and are a joy to watch.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:23 pm

yep we got a nil nil draw fantastic
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:27 pm

This is a really odd team to watch. Easily our best team in years, who are capable of some joyous stuff; but boy they don't half put you through the ringer in the final third of the field.

In honesty Oldham must be off home wondering how they got away with that, however, our overall play has not got the points once again due to the finishing. It's bittersweet because I'm enjoying watching this side: solid at the back, creative and dominant in midfield - we had ought to have established ourselves in the top three.

Saying that, keep playing in the same vein and it will come. It can't be possible for these same individuals to constantly miss guilt edged opportunities game after game.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Good game but showed up the problem we have had for several years I.e. Not putting the ball in the net.

First half I thought their keeper kept them in it but second period I thought the forward play was poor. You can't blame the manager but we need a proper striker. As industrious as Mr Rose was, he spent a lot of time falling over and turning into defenders. He needs to improve where it counts.

I thought we lacked balance when Khan was taken off and often resorted to playing it long. I would have liked him to stay on and wonder what he has to do to get a full 90 minutes on the pitch.

Hamilton showed why he is such an exciting player and should continue in the forward position.

The refe gave us nothing and should have taken action against Oldham players on several occasions. He gave a foul as a free kick on the edge of the area when it was at least a yard in the box. I don't think it was a foul in the first place but when he gave it, it should have been a penalty.

It may be that I am over disappointed with yet another draw when we created enough clear chances to score 4 or 5. Shooting must improve or we will be bottom half come the season's end. It's a fact that we have now won only one more match than County and we've all been laughing at them.

Please note this is not a dig at Mr Flitcroft but the forwards need a rocket. I hope I feel better in the morning.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 pm

old ram stag wrote:yep we got a nil nil draw fantastic

Sad old ram!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 pm

flitcroft average of a point a game continues if we are happy with that and what we see fantastic, but I want points not fancy midfield play, put the ball in the net win the game.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Quality performance. We created enough to win 3 games . We need a top striker . Way too many chances going begging. Can't fault the team bar not scoring . Fantastic team performance all around . They never got a sniff . If we had won that 5.0 then they couldn't complain . I'm disappointed not to get all three points but the football we are playing is excellent . Nothing the manager could do .

Keep playing like we have the last two games and we will be up there .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:37 pm

I agree soooooo much!!!!
Best game we have played this season, possibly best game under flitcroft.

Our defence is incredible and we should continue to deploy the same men each week.

However we need to sort our subs out, Davies did nothing and was on for 25 mins.

Bring on Omari!

Now let's get a win at bury.

:coys:
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Flitcroft can’t put the ball in the net can he.

Walker should have been dropped mind, other than that spot on.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 pm

Excellent football and Flitters can't be blamed for the awful finishing.
Walker should be dropped (if possible?), I'd rather see young Graham in there, he'd work harder and probably finish some of the chances Walker gets, he couldn't finish a bag of Quavers
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Great football no end product, can't help thinking not signing that 20 goal man is going to cost us. Oh for Marquis or Collins or Stockley
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01 pm

how long do we give nice footy no points flitcroft ?
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 pm

old ram stag wrote:how long do we give nice footy no points flitcroft ?

Wow :roll:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Thought Flitcroft tried everything possible to break the stubborn visitors down tonight both formation wise tactically and substitutions.

He......couldn't do any more
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Chimney wrote:Great football no end product, can't help thinking not signing that 20 goal man is going to cost us. Oh for Marquis or Collins or Stockley

Agree 100%
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 pm

My only disappointment was we slowed the game down too much at times, we looked sharp and most threatening when we moved the ball quickly, on another night that would have been a 5-0 thrashing.

I expected Oldham to be much better than that, we should easily be above them based on tonight's game - the 'game management', time wasting was a complete and utter embarrassment, the referee made a complete hash of managing it and them, +1 first half, +3 second - please tell me which game he was officiating.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:25 pm

so looking at flitcrofts stats he needs to win 14 of his next 16 games just to match his Swindon statistics ? how long do we put up with shudda cudda ?
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm

If you couldn't enjoy that tonight, I should give up watching football mate!
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum