{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Latics Scorefred sponsored by Keep Boosters On full Blast

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Latics Scorefred sponsored by Keep Boosters On full Blas

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:I wondered why walker started until I saw Davies who is worse. Superb first 45 and unlucky not to score. Then for some reason we moved cj up top and created far less as a result. Poor substitutions and even worse finishing cost us.

We were superb all game and made numerous excellent chances 2nd half. We did perhaps overplay a little at times.

Have to agree about Davies. He doesn't offer up much. Rose is much better and if Walker could finish we'd have a dangerous front two.

CJ going up top worked on Saturday and at times worked today. I agree he could of given it 15 mins second half to see how it went but then we don't know if Walker got a knock.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 pm

This is good team who have ripped two teams to shreds. This team will finish teams off if we work the ball like tonight. Cracking
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Rob wrote:It was a superb performance everywhere but where it really matters. How Khan missed that one at the start, Walker missed a one v one and numerous other chances came and went. We are miles better than Oldham yet they go away with a very undeserved point. Elsnik was simply unplayable, what a player he will be for us.

Not seen this style of football at the Mill for well over a decade, just great to watch, gutted we didn't get what we deserved.

I see the utter belmers are out again though, if you think I mean you, then you are probably right.

We are heading in the right direction, 3 pts off the play-offs with a game in hand.

I can barley see half a dozen negative comments across the board tonight, what are you on about?

Most agree it was a fantastic performance, just with some poor finishing.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Game should have been wrapped up by half time after an excellent 45 minutes - the second half was not so fluent and was frustrating. We were still the only side trying to win it but we just didn’t get going in the same fashion as the first half.

I’d been giving Walker the benefit of the doubt, but he has to be taking chances like that tonight. The reality is he doesn’t contribute a whole lot to the game, so he simply has to score when he gets the chances... scoring simple chances tonight and against Tranmere would have us in a much healthier position. That said, I think taking him off for Atkinson came too early and wasn’t the right sub for me, a straight swap would have been more ideal if anything at that time. Hamilton was causing them problems at RWB tonight in fairness and it shouldn’t have been swapped at that stage.
Davies did nothing as well when he came on and I’m still to be impressed by him, but it was his first game back tonight.

Bishop and Elsnik were excellent and completely run the show first half, could be a great partnership in there, but unfortunately still came away feeling very frustrated. I could see the great performance, but this season just seems far too familiar. Our opening 10 fixtures were favourable to say the least, and the points return is very disappointing in my opinion. Here’s hoping we kick on, tough game at Bury Saturday. More performances like that will surely see the results come!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 pm

A performance like that tonight and a few knobsockets in the crowd boo at the end.

Why is it beyond some of our lot to accept that the team gave it everything and were unfortunate not to win a game?

Of course we are all finding this failure to finish teams off frustrating but this team is inches from being a promotion challenging outfit. Perhaps encouragement would benefit them.

I was happy to applaud them off tonight knowing that we'd knocked Oldham around all night but just couldn't find a knockout blow.

Flip-flop is so close to getting this team right. Only missed guilt edged chances from an array of individuals are failing us.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I was a little bemused regarding the half time changes.

Walker although missed his chances was still getting them and I fancied him to score in the second half.

Putting Atkinson on in Hamilton’s first half position made us lose a lot of width I thought.

But the overall display was good and a brilliant first 45 min. Continue to play like this we will pick up more wins than losses.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 pm

It's so frustrating because the football is not being rewarded with the results. However we are now third favourite to win the league. The data shows we are one of the best teams in the division but unfortunately that doesn't count for much.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 pm

The football looked great. We’ve got something going for us.

We’ve just got to start converting chances, we’ve had a quarter of a season now, and we’ve a chance to push on.

We’ve got to beat bury though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Keep the faith, it will come.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Really enjoyed the football tonight, however, I left the ground really frustrated, again...

After a great first half, I must admit to being somewhat baffled as to why we took off a striker to bring on a defender...

Going four at the back, when the three were in complete control, seems a little negative.

Overall though, a joy to watch. On another day we'd have won by a mile,

Just one thing though, we seem to be suffering from the "Arsenal disease", always thinking "one more pass" is the right thing to do.

Sometimes, just "putting your foot through it" is what it needs!

Onward to Bury...
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:10 pm

ianb wrote:Really enjoyed the football tonight, however, I left the ground really frustrated, again...

After a great first half, I must admit to being somewhat baffled as to why we took off a striker to bring on a defender...

Going four at the back, when the three were in complete control, seems a little negative.

Overall though, a joy to watch. On another day we'd have won by a mile,

Just one thing though, we seem to be suffering from the "Arsenal disease", always thinking "one more pass" is the right thing to do.

Sometimes, just "putting your foot through it" is what it needs!

Onward to Bury...

We didn’t go 4 at the back.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:We didn’t go 4 at the back.

Dunno what game you were at, but from where I was sitting on the half way line, Atkinson played right back, which along with Preston, Pearce and Sweeney, makes four....
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 pm

The formation didn't change. CJ who was at RWB moved up top and Atko came on at RWB. Atko and Mal played very high because we battered them. The back 3, remained a back 3 the whole time...

What your suggesting is Mal was left wing and Sweeney left back - but super negative??
Last edited by Jamie on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 pm

ianb wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:We didn’t go 4 at the back.

Dunno what game you were at, but from where I was sitting on the half way line, Atkinson played right back, which along with Preston, Pearce and Sweeney, makes four....

You're wrong Ian. Where was Benning playing then? It was exactly the same formation in both halves until Davies came on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Nothing changed when Davies came on. He and Rose were up front and CJ was pretty much in a free role, a bit like Khan has.

CJ played 3 positions tonight. RWB, upfront with Rose (Khan supporting), then finally in the supporting role.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Jamie wrote:Nothing changed when Davies came on. He and Rose were up front and CJ was pretty much in a free role, a bit like Khan has.

CJ played 3 positions tonight. RWB, upfront with Rose (Khan supporting), then finally in the supporting role.

Yes it did. Khan was playing left, Rose central and CJ right. When Davies came on he went up top with Rose and CJ went in the hole.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Fair enough... the front three moved about a bit. Either way it wasn't a back 4 :)
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Jamie wrote:The formation didn't change. CJ who was at RWB moved up top and Atko came on at RWB. Atko and Mal played very high because we battered them. The back 3, remained a back 3 the whole time...

I sit on the half way line, and every time Oldham had the ball, there were four at the back in the second half, it was noticed by many sat around me. The offside trap, used so well in the first half, fell to pieces when there were four, watch the highlights...

Anyway, pointless arguing, it was a good performance, just a bad result,

Night all ;)
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Jamie wrote:Fair enough... the front three moved about a bit. Either way it wasn't a back 4 :)

Agreed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:40 pm

ianb wrote:
Jamie wrote:The formation didn't change. CJ who was at RWB moved up top and Atko came on at RWB. Atko and Mal played very high because we battered them. The back 3, remained a back 3 the whole time...

I sit on the half way line, and every time Oldham had the ball, there were four at the back in the second half, it was noticed by many sat around me. The offside trap, used so well in the first half, fell to pieces when there were four, watch the highlights...

Anyway, pointless arguing, it was a good performance, just a bad result,

Night all ;)

Ok mr halfway line.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I can see where the back 4 idea has come from. When one of our wing backs get up the pitch the other drops back a little. Which in some cases looks like a back 4. I noticed a few times when Atkinson was up the top of the pitch Mal didn't enter the final third unless passed to or the ball is on his side of the pitch (and vice versa the other way around) it's a little difficult to explain it in text form.

Next time you see us break away down 1 flank look where the other wing back is. This isn't every single time but most of the time. The general rule as a wing back seems to be "if the ball is on your side of the pitch then get up in support. If it switches flank don't get caught out, move back a little."

Towards the end of the game where the wing backs are getting a little tired. They don't get as far forwards as often and this can give an illusion of playing a back 4.plus if they are defending then they will drop back.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am

Oldham parked the bus but there's no excuse on not at least taking one chance tonight......

But

A win at Bury on Saturday puts the Stags back in the race for a top 7 place

COYS
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:28 am

Just a point I'd like to make, unusually for us I thought we were pretty poor down the left last night. Khan and Benning didn't have the best of games, both guilty of losing the ball on a number of occasions.

Also those slagging Walker, I agree he didn't have his best game and should have scored his chance, but we played a lot better with him on the pitch rather than off it. He stayed high up the pitch occupying defenders which gave plenty of room for CJ to exploit. CJ roamed a lot more which meant we were unable to build attacks in the same way.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 am

MTFCMusings wrote:We played better in the first half. I would’ve given Walker 10-15 more minutes and then made the change.

I said the same Sam. Tyler Walker was better than Saturday as he was involved in the build up play a lot more. I would also have kept Timi Elsnik on the pitch as he was having a good game. It's always very difficult for a midfield player to come on as a sub like Jacob Mellis and get into the pace of the game.

I thought Otis Khan had another quiet game. He needs to do better after a good start to the season.

We also need to seriously work on our set pieces which were awful in the 2nd half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum