{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

W4 D10 L5

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: W4 D10 L5

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:22 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:Has anyone actually said they wanted him to be sacked? The original post is about his record so far, they are facts, its not been great.

he should still be given a full season unless we are looking like getting relegated. and that won't happen

See I disagree with that - he has a top 3 budget, if we're 15th in March then I will be calling for his head.

If Pep (using the earlier example) was 12th this season then he wouldn't be in a job long. Only reason teams like Accy keep the faith is because they are not expected to do as well with the resources they use. Similar story with Tisdale at Exeter.
Is it a fact that we have a "top 3 budget", or just here say?

Well last season everyone mentioned it (including JR and Fatty) that we have invested heavily for promotion and if you think Khan, Walker, Davies and Preston have come on small wages then you’re living on a different planet.

I think until each club publish their figures it's pure speculation. A club could have "invested heavily", in a particular season, but that amount could still be less than several other clubs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:02 am

You just sound like your going to defend him no matter what Andy. Is he related to you or something?

I guarantee you one thing, our budget isn't 15th largest is it.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 am

That’s fine Andy, some fans understandably will have there head in the sand as they don’t want to believe that we should be one of the favourites for promotion. My point still stands, bobby thinks unless we’re fighting relegation then we should keep DF for a whole season, I completely disagree with that. If we’re 15th in March then questions have to be asked.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am

If we're 15th in March, the only question being asked would be "could you send a taxi to Field Mill as soon as possible please"

Hopefully not, DF could not make that much of a pigs ear of the season, with this squad.
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 am

If were 15th in march ,which i think is highly unlikely that virtually a full season anyway ,ive not commented since saturday ,but the complete overreaction by some on here and the anti DF brigade are way over the top still think we will be play offs at the very least
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 am

I'm simply saying none of us know what the budget is. But some are assuming it is in the top three and using it as a weapon against the current manager.

As for DF he isn't a relative, in fact I've never met him. I think he has been decent for us so far, but clearly results need to improve if we are going to achieve promotion this season. As I see it one or two on here are sowing the seeds of discontent far too early ( one league defeat in a close game ).

If we finished mid table this season then clearly we would have under achieved and questions would need to be asked.

Promotion isn't a given, it is hard earned. I think a club like ours, with average support in terms of numbers, can only achieve and more importantly sustain it by gradual improvement.

Sadly we have some fans who are too impatient with high expectations. Don't forget it is a competition with, in my estimation,66% of teams in our league who will have set promotion as a realistic target.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am

Andy, how is Planet Zog this morning? And are you and Bobbystagsfan having a good time?
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 am

Chimney wrote:Andy, how is Planet Zog this morning? And are you and Bobbystagsfan having a good time?

Have to agree with you there. They are both great defenders :D :D :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:23 am

If we got relegated this season, Andy and Bobby in May would be like 'We have to give him a chance to show what he can do in the non-league, its not fair judging him on his league stats when hes never managed at that level'
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am

How can anyone accuse Stags fans of being impatient? During most of the last 30 years we've been garbage and yet we're still sticking around.

Most fans of perenial lower league clubs have the patience of Job.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am

Agreed, Andy is looking for “gradual improvement “, how gradual do you want, we’ve been in the bottom Div of the FL for about 25 years.
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:If we got relegated this season, Andy and Bobby in May would be like 'We have to give him a chance to show what he can do in the non-league, its not fair judging him on his league stats when hes never managed at that level'

would we?

I don't think we would..
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:02 pm

I usually sympathise with that attitude. Building slowly is the correct way over the long term. However JR is funding a bid for promotion, not survival and therefore our targets change. Flitcroft took over when we were challenging promotion and then missed out on the playoffs. He got a pass for this because it 'wasn't his side' (which is a poor excuse for his failure). However now it IS his side and we have won 2 games all season. He has done a very poor job. Hopefully we will improve as the season progresses, but criticising and calling the fans impatient for discussing these failures is wide of the mark in my opinion.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:That’s fine Andy, some fans understandably will have there head in the sand as they don’t want to believe that we should be one of the favourites for promotion. My point still stands, bobby thinks unless we’re fighting relegation then we should keep DF for a whole season, I completely disagree with that. If we’re 15th in March then questions have to be asked.

Questions need to be asked long before March if we’re still in the bottom half. JR is funding a bid for promotion, and he’s spent big money last year and this year to do so. We can’t afford to be messing around in the bottom half and playing catch up for too long and if it got to March and we were 15th it would be season over. Would be a complete failure if we didn’t get in the top 7 this year considering what we’ve spent.

We have a half decent run of fixtures now, Cambridge have already been beaten 5 times and we have 3 winnable home games - we’ve got to start getting some wins on the board.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Chimney wrote:Agreed, Andy is looking for “gradual improvement “, how gradual do you want, we’ve been in the bottom Div of the FL for about 25 years.

No we haven't, we've been in the bottom division of the Football League for 5 years, and pretty much year on year improved in league position during that time.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 pm

The issue we have is its still not fully "his side" we still have 3 players on top dollar who we don't need. Anderson is one and he's been left with 2 expensive crocks. We are probably chucking £100k a year down the drain for those.

I'm disappointed with the results so far. However it's far too early to be comparing anything at present.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Radford has been pretty patient with his managers and I’d expect that to continue with DF, the optimists see some promising signs and the pessimistic see the current table. Win the game in hand and we’re back in the play off mix so it feels a too soon to be making any judgements. It does feel it could go either way in the next 6 weeks or so.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm

James wrote:
Chimney wrote:Agreed, Andy is looking for “gradual improvement “, how gradual do you want, we’ve been in the bottom Div of the FL for about 25 years.

No we haven't, we've been in the bottom division of the Football League for 5 years, and pretty much year on year improved in league position during that time.

I was trying to say, not very lucidly I admit, that we hadn’t been above the bottom tier for about 25 years
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Chimney wrote:
James wrote:

I was trying to say, not very lucidly I admit, that we hadn’t been above the bottom tier for about 25 years

It's 15 years, so still not very lucid :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Really? Time flies when you’re having fun
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:49 pm

gazza1988 wrote:The issue we have is its still not fully "his side" we still have 3 players on top dollar who we don't need. Anderson is one and he's been left with 2 expensive crocks. We are probably chucking £100k a year down the drain for those.

I'm disappointed with the results so far. However it's far too early to be comparing anything at present.

The expensive crocks don't cost much as we get insurance to cover them, don't we? Anderson is a strange one, why DF didn't move him out and recover some of the money god only knows.

I won't agree this isn't his side though. It's his team, full of players he's either chosen to keep or signed himself. Yes there are a couple of left overs but lets not pretend JR hasn't backed him or that they've caused him any kind of transfer headache. Many managers these days, even some down the leagues, don't even get a say in the players the club signs. The manager is paid to coach the team, get the best out of them and to get results with the players available. In this case, he's been able to keep / sign whoever he wants or can. There are no excuses where team / squad size is concerned.

I actually think on paper this squad is as good as we've had a for long time. Its clearly a striker short (which is down to DF), but all in all the additions have been pretty good. There are no excuses. He's got to deliver results for this football club, he hasn't so far both with Evans team and now with his own. The next 3/4 games will tell us everything we need to know.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:If we got relegated this season, Andy and Bobby in May would be like 'We have to give him a chance to show what he can do in the non-league, its not fair judging him on his league stats when hes never managed at that level'

You couldn't be further from the truth.

I never want to see our club in that pit of misery ever again.

Serious question,are you saying DF is likely to get us relegated this season?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Jamie wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The issue we have is its still not fully "his side" we still have 3 players on top dollar who we don't need. Anderson is one and he's been left with 2 expensive crocks. We are probably chucking £100k a year down the drain for those.

The expensive crocks don't cost much as we get insurance to cover them, don't we? Anderson is a strange one, why DF didn't move him out and recover some of the money god only knows.

I won't agree this isn't his side though. It's his team, full of players he's either chosen to keep or signed himself. Yes there are a couple of left overs but lets not pretend JR hasn't backed him or that they've caused him any kind of transfer headache. Many managers these days, even some down the leagues, don't even get a say in the players the club signs. The manager is paid to coach the team, get the best out of them and to get results with the players available. In this case, he's been able to keep / sign whoever he wants or can. There are no excuses where team / squad size is concerned.

I actually think on paper this squad is as good as we've had a for long time. Its clearly a striker short (which is down to DF), but all in all the additions have been pretty good. There are no excuses. He's got to deliver results for this football club, he hasn't so far both with Evans team and now with his own. The next 3/4 games will tell us everything we need to know.

I'd imagine he tried, but no-one will come in for Anderson and pay him the level of salary that he is on, and why would he move somewhere to be paid less than he's contracted to receive with us? God would probably say.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Exactly so why raise the expectations ?

Further more why are you so critical of DF when so many other managers have not faired any better ? In fact they've failed playing a lot less pleasing style of football.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't think anyone really thinks we'll go down Andy... but if you take his full record its only 22 points from 19 games, or 1.15 points per game. Over a season that would be 53 points and squeaky bum time... The points per game record is better this season. Even at that rate its only 65 points over the season - a disappointing mid-table finish.

Also, isn't it JR who has raised the expectations?

Gradual improvement isn't mid-table, its top 7 after last year. Anything less with the resources he's had would be failure in most peoples eyes.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum