{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Thread About Notts County

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Thread About Conference Club Notts County

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:If clubs were assured this money would be in the form of a grant then that is what it should be, therefore if the season is not complete it is clear who is at fault. Perhaps players should wear tights and cod pieces, they'd get the grant then. In the wider scheme of things, 11m is a drop in the ocean.

Depends if there’s any written proof of the grants.

I’m more conferenced as to the mentioning of misuse of the grants. What’s that all about ?

That, I think, was lottery funding which has already been used to keep clubs going as they believed more money was on its way.
I think the point is that if the £11m grant isn't forthcoming then the £10m lottery funding is wasted as the season won't finish anyway, I think that is what is meant by misused, not just that clubs actually misused money. However, if clubs have misused lottery funding then clearly they should be punished.

The misuse wasn't by the clubs but by the National League itself. It was given in order to compensate clubs for loss of income due to lack of gate receipts and was supposed to be distributed to the clubs on that basis, but instead the NL shared it out equally between the clubs. This meant that those with larger average gates have been short changed (County rumoured to be £287k down on what they were expecting), while those with smaller average gates are quids in (Boreham Wood 'overcompensated' by about £170k).
Apparently, the decision on how to distribute the money was taken by the NL Board, and of it's 9 members, 5 are from clubs who received more than they would have under the original agreed method of distribution.
This has lead to complaints as some of those clubs that received 'bonus money', such as Boreham Wood, are now splashing out on players that would normally be targets for the 'bigger' clubs in the league.

Well on one hand giving everyone an equal amount is in the same ethos as a salary cap isn’t it ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:No relegation / promotion then, or are Torquay promoted in January!

Surely they still have to promote Torquay.

If the season was ended now, I don't think there would be any promotion or relegation. The figure of 75% of season completed was talked about as a cut-off figure higher up the football pyramid last year, though there is no hard and fast rule in place I don't think. Dover have only played 12 games and more than half of the clubs in the league played fewer than 14 games, that's only a third of the season.

Am I right in thinking that Torquay have had more than their fair share of luck both bad and good in terms of promotions/ relegations
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Not only Boreham Wood. Those over the other side of the M1 have signed nine players since the new manager has come in. The same club that has borrowed £1m from the council.

Not sure that is relevant to this though ?
I would imagine they are another club who has been short changed as I would think their average gates are higher than most clubs in the division.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:If clubs were assured this money would be in the form of a grant then that is what it should be, therefore if the season is not complete it is clear who is at fault. Perhaps players should wear tights and cod pieces, they'd get the grant then. In the wider scheme of things, 11m is a drop in the ocean.

I’m more conferenced as to the mentioning of misuse of the grants. What’s that all about ?

That, I think, was lottery funding which has already been used to keep clubs going as they believed more money was on its way.
I think the point is that if the £11m grant isn't forthcoming then the £10m lottery funding is wasted as the season won't finish anyway, I think that is what is meant by misused, not just that clubs actually misused money. However, if clubs have misused lottery funding then clearly they should be punished.

The misuse wasn't by the clubs but by the National League itself. It was given in order to compensate clubs for loss of income due to lack of gate receipts and was supposed to be distributed to the clubs on that basis, but instead the NL shared it out equally between the clubs. This meant that those with larger average gates have been short changed (County rumoured to be £287k down on what they were expecting), while those with smaller average gates are quids in (Boreham Wood 'overcompensated' by about £170k).
Apparently, the decision on how to distribute the money was taken by the NL Board, and of it's 9 members, 5 are from clubs who received more than they would have under the original agreed method of distribution.
This has lead to complaints as some of those clubs that received 'bonus money', such as Boreham Wood, are now splashing out on players that would normally be targets for the 'bigger' clubs in the league.

Well on one hand giving everyone an equal amount is in the same ethos as a salary cap isn’t it ?

Bravo sir...
Cant wait to see the replies :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:23 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

But there isn't a salary cap in NL so that is irrelevant. Had it been in League 2 then yes it would be a different matter.
If the money was given to the NL on the understanding it would be distributed based on average gate receipts, and then they have distributed it in a different matter then they are in breach of the agreement. Also, it is very underhanded that the chosen way of distribution is beneficial to the majority of the board members who made the decision. It is because of this that the DCMS have now said future funding will be loans rather than grants, which a lot of the clubs don't want to commit to, so the mismanagement by the NL board could now be the cause of the season ending prematurely.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Not only Boreham Wood. Those over the other side of the M1 have signed nine players since the new manager has come in. The same club that has borrowed £1m from the council.

I didn't know Alfreton had had a bung from their council
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Cheers Dave, I'm not sure that is misuse though, I'd say it was more an issue about how they distributed the money? Misuse to me means they spent it on a new Ferrari .....
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Rob wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Cheers Dave, I'm not sure that is misuse though, I'd say it was more an issue about how they distributed the money? Misuse to me means they spent it on a new Ferrari .....

Nah, just a Chief. ;) :lol:
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:08 am

Rob wrote:

How could anyone possibly consider that a misuse of money?? :P :lol:

Unless of course you're more of an Aston or Lambo man ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:14 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 pm

I think this boils down to the very privileged position football is enjoying at the moment. The country is in absolute turmoil with many people being denied the opportunity to work and earn money. Travel even just a few miles up the road is banned and people aren’t being allowed to gather in groups of more than 2.(outside your bubble). Relatives can’t visit the sick and elderly or grandchildren.

Yet we have football teams, who aren’t being regularly tested for the virus being allowed to travel from one end of the country to the other and then spend the best part of 2 hours pushing and pulling at each other whist effectively running themselves into the ground thus increasing their infection distribution range. These games are behind closed doors and some aren’t being televised.

I appreciate that football is a sport enjoyed by millions but would suggest it isn’t just the actual game but the overall day experience which generates a lot of that interest and that isn’t happening at the moment.

I know it is hard but believe that if we are serious about lockdown and defeating this terrible virus, the game should be stopped.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:56 pm

And then you would have even more suicides on your hands than what you’ve got now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I think this boils down to the very privileged position football is enjoying at the moment. The country is in absolute turmoil with many people being denied the opportunity to work and earn money. Travel even just a few miles up the road is banned and people aren’t being allowed to gather in groups of more than 2.(outside your bubble). Relatives can’t visit the sick and elderly or grandchildren.

Yet we have football teams, who aren’t being regularly tested for the virus being allowed to travel from one end of the country to the other and then spend the best part of 2 hours pushing and pulling at each other whist effectively running themselves into the ground thus increasing their infection distribution range. These games are behind closed doors and some aren’t being televised.

I appreciate that football is a sport enjoyed by millions but would suggest it isn’t just the actual game but the overall day experience which generates a lot of that interest and that isn’t happening at the moment.

I know it is hard but believe that if we are serious about lockdown and defeating this terrible virus, the game should be stopped.

Some people literally have nothing left, Football isn't hurting anyone. The virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon either, it won't be defeated anytime soon, there will be large cases and tier systems for the rest of the year. Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated the rest of us need to get on with normal life as fast as possible, in the meantime football is keeping many people sane.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I think this boils down to the very privileged position football is enjoying at the moment. The country is in absolute turmoil with many people being denied the opportunity to work and earn money. Travel even just a few miles up the road is banned and people aren’t being allowed to gather in groups of more than 2.(outside your bubble). Relatives can’t visit the sick and elderly or grandchildren.

Some people literally have nothing left, Football isn't hurting anyone. The virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon either, it won't be defeated anytime soon, there will be large cases and tier systems for the rest of the year. Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated the rest of us need to get on with normal life as fast as possible, in the meantime football is keeping many people sane.

Except no-one can watch a lot of these matches at that level. And as for not hurting anyone you only have to look at the number of matches postponed because of Covid to see how many players are actually catching the disease. How many others are they then passing it on to?

I could understand it if they were isolating together and being tested but they aren’t. Kids of essential workers can spend all day in a classroom together but then can’t have a game in the park after school with no-one else involved. It’s just not logical.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm

as far as I've seen, all matches in the Conference National are being streamed.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:as far as I've seen, all matches in the Conference National are being streamed.

Ok Martin so it’s streaming but no screening. It’s just Russian Roulette and let’s face it leagues 1 and 2 aren’t much better.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Conference continues. North and South suspended

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 am

If the National League at County’s level is suspended, which ultimately will lead to cancellation of the season due to the need to cram the number of fixtures in safely what happens to promotion and relegation?

And possibly for Notts next season, what happens to the parachute money??? Who pays for the rest of this season?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:16 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:If the National League at County’s level is suspended, which ultimately will lead to cancellation of the season due to the need to cram the number of fixtures in safely what happens to promotion and relegation?

And possibly for Notts next season, what happens to the parachute money??? Who pays for the rest of this season?

Who cares ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:21 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:If the National League at County’s level is suspended, which ultimately will lead to cancellation of the season due to the need to cram the number of fixtures in safely what happens to promotion and relegation?

Top four should have a play off for top spot followed by something similar to decide the "playoff" winner.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:28 pm

I’d imagine torque and Sutton united would be promoted if the national league is abandoned
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:11 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I’d imagine torque and Sutton united would be promoted if the national league is abandoned

not until they've played 75% of the season I don't think. Many clubs have only played a third of the season.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:13 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55818377

Looks like it’s heading for shutdown at NL level and below
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:20 am

The thing is if there's not enough football played to decide who to promote then I would assume that relegations would be suspended from league 2 as well.

I had a quick look in the table and the side in 7th has enough games in hand to go top. The team in 2nd has enough games in hand to go top. That's 3 sides in with a shout. Some teams have barely played a third of their games and the closest to the halfway point still need to play 2 more games. Then there's just 2 more that are 3 games away. There's only 23 teams in the division so it's 44 games in a season.

The 75% figure is after 33 games have been played.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum